The Engine Oil Thread - Page 5 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 33Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 47 (permalink) Old 06-11-2020, 11:42 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donk View Post
You see my illogic works. @N4HHE says AMSOIL is an exceptional oil. I dont believe he has ever said anything positive about another oil synthetic or dino. He only says synthetic may or may not really be synthetic which by the way is correct.
Am not saying that either. I am saying there are no standards which require a synthetically manufactured oil to be any different from any other oil if it is to be sold as synthetic.

It is quite possible to make a superior oil but there is no requirement to do so. So it is wrong to assume a superior oil was made just because processes the marketing profession allows to be called "synthetic" were used.

"Synthetic" is a marketing term, not a performance specification. It comes out of the same place that prevents a YZ450F from being sold as a sport-tourer.

Some synthetic oils might be useable at 350F but there is no requirement of all oil sold as synthetic to be useable at 350F.

"Synthetic" is about as meaningless as a motor oil performance specification as the color of the bottle it came out of. Generally Amsoil is a superior motor oil but this is only because it is Amsoil's reputation at stake, not because it says "synthetic".

2018 F-150 XLT SuperCab 4x4 2.7L
2016 FJR1300A
2016 Beta 430 RS
2016 Subaru Outback
2013 Tesla Model S 85
2009 Husaberg FE450
1983 Porsche 928S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 47 (permalink) Old 06-11-2020, 01:04 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gitbox View Post
Here you go: https://www.ilma.org/PDF/ILMANews/2017/AAAreport.pdf

and who doesn't like beating a dead horse.
Good read. That horse isn't dead yet. Somebody else around here needs to read that and find a new horse.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
post #43 of 47 (permalink) Old 06-12-2020, 07:53 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gitbox View Post
Here you go: https://www.ilma.org/PDF/ILMANews/2017/AAAreport.pdf

and who doesn't like beating a dead horse.
Big deal, AAA finds Toyotas are better than Chevrolets. They did not find any contractural or legal definition of a synthetic motor oil. Its just "apparently the samples of synthetic motor oil were better than the samples we selected of refined motor oil." This is no different than how we all "know" Yamahas are superior to Harley-Davidsons. It doesn't prevent Yamaha from building a stinker.

Once again there are no enhanced performance standards, or any performance standards required of a motor oil to be sold as synthetic. It doesn't mean a synthetically manufactured motor oil can not be superior. It just means there is no assurance other than trust in the brand. You trust Yamaha more than Harley-Davidson? Toyota more than Chevrolet? But if Yamaha or Toyota lets you down there is no recourse to claim, "but this was supposed to be better than the other!" Just take your punishment and move on.
jamwr likes this.

2018 F-150 XLT SuperCab 4x4 2.7L
2016 FJR1300A
2016 Beta 430 RS
2016 Subaru Outback
2013 Tesla Model S 85
2009 Husaberg FE450
1983 Porsche 928S

post #44 of 47 (permalink) Old 06-13-2020, 12:46 AM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

The idea of using brand Xs oil in brand Ys bike struck me as funny. The definition of what is and isnt synthetic oil or what could or could not be synthetic oil or why we call some oil and not other synthetic does not strike me as funny, nor in the end does it matter one bit.
Life is short, go ride! Sorry I started this mess and sorry but Im out!
passx likes this.

The resident KTM owner.

14 FJR (sold)
03 FZ1
13 990 SMT
15 1290 Super Adventure T
post #45 of 47 (permalink) Old 06-13-2020, 06:10 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donk View Post
The idea of using brand Xs oil in brand Ys bike struck me as funny. The definition of what is and isnt synthetic oil or what could or could not be synthetic oil or why we call some oil and not other synthetic does not strike me as funny, nor in the end does it matter one bit.
Life is short, go ride! Sorry I started this mess and sorry but Im out!
Not so d**n funny any more, is it smartypants ? You shoulda known better. Some people pick nits for a living and therefore expect everyone else to and will wear you down without mercy until you do. It comes to that pretty much every single time that dreaded word "oil" is typed followed by a question mark.

Hence I think the need for this poll -> https://www.fjrowners.com/forums/28-...l-threads.html. I'd love to see more votes and some comments.

Russ
2007A

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #46 of 47 (permalink) Old 06-13-2020, 07:26 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Russ, I agree ! Takes all the fun out of this forum, how soon ? But I’ll add that the know-it-all idiots will still be idiots trying to impress somebody but a single thread might help, certainly worth a try. !

Donk, I realize you were only trying to be funny but some people are incapable of understanding that and must constantly try to impress others somehow to compensate for inadequacies elsewhere, requiring them to sit when they pee.....

Steve P
Red 2014A, the fastest color !
Ride more,, worry less !

Last edited by passx; 06-13-2020 at 07:31 AM.
post #47 of 47 (permalink) Old 06-15-2020, 08:56 AM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Im out
Me too!

Robin
2008 Yamaha FJR1300A
2004 Yamaha FJR1300 (sold)
2000 Kawasaki Concours (sold)
...etc.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page