The Engine Oil Thread - Page 2 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 66Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 75 (permalink) Old 06-09-2020, 09:35 AM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaYzerman View Post
OMG another oil thread...... Multi.... multi-grade... seems like a good match to me. Use it.
Exactly. It makes perfect sense.

Honestly, I was happy to see Rotella getting the nod on these forums.
I used/use that stuff in my truck, jeeps, klr, magna, cbr, and lawnmower.
It makes a wonderful cocktail as well. Earthy flavor.
I almost bought a 55gal drum at Sam's once.
Sounds like it'll be going in my fjr as well, even if someone says I shouldn't.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 75 (permalink) Old 06-09-2020, 09:47 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I am working on digitizing some of MCNews' tech articles since they folded. I have several done and up on oil.

https://www.fjr-tips.org/maint/maint.html

More to come and some reorganizing of the site to better highlight them
Ace Handler likes this.

Ridden wet. Put up hard.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 75 (permalink) Old 06-09-2020, 01:30 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donk View Post
I do think “full synthetic” may be recommended by some manufacturers for certain bikes. I know Aprilia does for sure, pretty sure BMW does, Ducati does, KTM does, Yamaha does not except for the R1. Because I work at a used bike shop I have to look up what oil different manufacturers want in their bikes regularly.
Know full well there are vehicle manufacturers who specify “full synthetic” but I keep hitting home there is nothing to that requirement which can be measured. Just as warranty laws do not allow manufacturers to require one to use nothing but their products to retain warranty. Anything meeting an itemized published industry performance specification may be used, but there is no industry performance specification for “synthetic.” Only generalized marketing happy-words.

For example you won’t find anything meeting Daimler Sheet 229.51 other than a synthetically manufactured motor oil but there is nothing in the spec stating the oil must be synthetic.

2018 F-150 XLT SuperCab 4x4 2.7L
2016 FJR1300A
2016 Beta 430 RS
2016 Subaru Outback
2013 Tesla Model S 85
2009 Husaberg FE450
1983 Porsche 928S

post #14 of 75 (permalink) Old 06-09-2020, 04:51 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

So N4, are you claiming that conventional and synthetic oils are all the same, refined the same and perform the same ? Is that What I’m hearing here ?

Steve P
Red 2014A, the fastest color !
Ride more,, worry less !
post #15 of 75 (permalink) Old 06-09-2020, 05:51 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by N4HHE View Post
Know full well there are vehicle manufacturers who specify “full synthetic” but I keep hitting home there is nothing to that requirement which can be measured. Just as warranty laws do not allow manufacturers to require one to use nothing but their products to retain warranty. Anything meeting an itemized published industry performance specification may be used, but there is no industry performance specification for “synthetic.” Only generalized marketing happy-words.

For example you won’t find anything meeting Daimler Sheet 229.51 other than a synthetically manufactured motor oil but there is nothing in the spec stating the oil must be synthetic.
You have peaked my curiosity. I basically agree with you. BUT, are you implying that a manufacturer who recommends only synthetic oil that meets XXX ratings cannot deny a warranty claim if you use a non synthetic oil that meets the same ratings?

Jim
-------------------------------------
2017 Yamaha FJR1300 ES
2018 Honda CBR1000rr
2020 Kawasaki 1000SX
post #16 of 75 (permalink) Old 06-09-2020, 05:59 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by N4HHE View Post
..... but I keep hitting home .....
Yes, we know .

Russ
2007A

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #17 of 75 (permalink) Old 06-09-2020, 06:48 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I used Motul 7000 a coupla times. Expensive but I was leaving it in the bike for a longer than normal trip. Ester added, and that perty red dye. Is not ester synthetic, and wouldn't it be reasonable to assume the oil makers have to have some content of synthetic esters. If it says synthetic on the label, have we been lied to all these years?

I use Amzoil synthetic a lot..... what have I been paying for? Who makes Amzoil's oil anyway?

So many questions, so few answers and zero qualified experts in any oil thread and absolutely there's a bunch of marketing-speak in the industry.
passx likes this.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
post #18 of 75 (permalink) Old 06-09-2020, 10:25 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by passx View Post
So N4, are you claiming that conventional and synthetic oils are all the same, refined the same and perform the same ? Is that What I’m hearing here ?
There are no contractual differences. There is nothing binding the manufacturer to offer a superior product with the "synthetic" label. There is nothing a "synthetic" motor oil has to prove other than greater-than-refined effort was made during manufacture. There is no requirement for a superior result. This is what I have been saying when I say, "There are no performance standards an oil must meet to be sold as synthetic." Might as well argue which color FJR is the fastest, there is no performance standard required of a motorcycle to be blue, or red, or yellow.

Synthetic manufacturing processes can make a superior motor oil but use of synthetic processes is no assurance of a superior product.

"I use full syn! (sic) Only the best for my engine!" is a statement of ignorance. Is stating willingness to throw money at the problem but no assurance of getting superior product.

2016 FJR1300A
2016 Beta 430 RS
2016 Subaru Outback
2013 Tesla Model S 85
2009 Husaberg FE450
1983 Porsche 928S
post #19 of 75 (permalink) Old 06-09-2020, 10:38 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjscsix View Post
You have peaked my curiosity. I basically agree with you. BUT, are you implying that a manufacturer who recommends only synthetic oil that meets XXX ratings cannot deny a warranty claim if you use a non synthetic oil that meets the same ratings?
Yes. Because they can not demonstrate any requirement of performance for being synthetic. For example Ford WSS-M2C946-B1 is a very specific document of performance tests. Doesn't say how the oil must be made only what the oil must do. Not all Mobil-1 meets this spec yet every time Ford mentions this spec they suggest one use Ford Motorcraft Semi-synthetic.

"Synthetic" has no definition other than how an oil is made. That is the result of Mobil-1 vs Castrol. The case was "held" in private court of binding arbitration before the National Advertising Division of the Better Business Bureau.

2016 FJR1300A
2016 Beta 430 RS
2016 Subaru Outback
2013 Tesla Model S 85
2009 Husaberg FE450
1983 Porsche 928S
post #20 of 75 (permalink) Old 06-09-2020, 10:51 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

I don’t know which oil companies refine their own oil? I know Motorex in Switzerland does.

The resident KTM owner.

‘14 FJR (sold)
‘13 990 SMT
‘15 1290 Super Adventure T

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page