The Engine Oil Thread - Page 10 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 66Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #91 of 94 (permalink) Old 10-14-2020, 02:45 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Again-- this thread is CLEARLY titled the ENGINE oil thread. Let's keep it on topic. If you wish to discuss something else please use an appropriate existing thread or start a new one.

Thank you.

Russ
2007A

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 94 (permalink) Old 10-14-2020, 07:54 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

But Russ, I really wanna know what tires you use 🤔🤔😁😁😁😁😁

Just messin with you of course ! Just gotta some times, have a good Wednesday !

Steve P
Red 2014A, the fastest color !
Ride more,, worry less !
post #93 of 94 (permalink) Old 10-14-2020, 07:55 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I think there is an allowable range of viscosities that can be considered a 20, a 30, etc., and it's possible that the upper end of one range might be very close to the lower end of the other.

I think it's evident that maybe it's not as critical as many of us try to make it -- including me. Otherwise, how would so many people second guess the manufacturers and use thicker than suggested oils for decades with no problems?

At least Yamaha give us a range.

Just keepin' up with traffic, Officer.

'13 FJR1300
'99 ZRX1100

post #94 of 94 (permalink) Old 10-15-2020, 07:05 AM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

So reading about synthetic oil and trying to compare oils I find that some oils use the words “100% ester”. I realize there are no standards for synthetic oils in the US but does 100% ester imply 100% synthetic base? And what the heck is 4T? Some oils are 4T some are not even some Yamalube full synthetics are labeled 4T while others are not. From what I’ve read I believe Motul uses a vegetable oil base? Amsoil and Motorex seem to be more elusive as to what base stock they use. I do know that from personal experience Motorex turns dark faster than other oils. I have been told that may be a sign of higher detergent content but I have no idea if it’s true or if that’s a good or bad thing. I know that at the end of the day good oil is good oil and there’s very little to be gained between brands but it is interesting to try and compare and frustrating as **** trying to get info from the manufacturers. If transparency is a good thing the Motul seems to publish the most info about their products.

The resident KTM owner.

14 FJR (sold)
13 990 SMT
15 1290 Super Adventure T

Last edited by Donk; 10-15-2020 at 07:11 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page