FJR Owners Forum banner

Missing Tank Heat Shield: A big deal, or not?

3K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  passx 
#1 ·
A buddy of mine just picked up a sweet 2008. We removed the tank to remove the PAIR system and found the heat shield missing. Is this a big deal, or should we proceed with PAIR removal and ride? My vote is it’s not a huge deal; he can ride it as is and if he chooses to replace it at some point, fine. If not, fine too.

What say you?

#3 ·
I’d replace it as well but ride until I could, that said I looked on Partzilla and they are still available for $158, so I’d be doing the eBay thing or checking salvage yards or maybe one of the people here may have one.

Or you may make one up out of some of the stick-on automotive Dyna Mat and just put it on the bottom of the tank, lots of options for less than $158 unless your one of the gotta be oe guy’s.

Reactions: RaYzerman
#4 ·
I don’t think my 2008 R1 had one under the tank or adhered to the underside of the tank.

#5 ·
The Gen I's didn't have any from the factory.

I did an aftermarket "kit"(pre-cut) insulation mat under the tank which worked well.

However, there were issues of fuel pressure building up in the tank(under certain circumstances), etc.

I wouldn't hesitate riding it as is but would replace it. It does help with the heat..

Reactions: bounce
#6 ·
Seems there are a couple used ones on flebay for under $40.

I would agress it helps keep the fuel temps lower and helps deflect the engine down and away.

#7 · (Edited)
#8 ·
I'd try something like this for $24 before paying $158: https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p...adiant-heat-barrier-12-x-24-010909/11680775-p

Under hood heat shields are common generic auto and speed shop parts.

I've seen dirtbikes boil gas, including mine. Learned to listen at the cap for sound of escaping gas. If heard then won't remove cap because a slight release of pressure will let the gas boil hard and erupt like a geyser out the filler. Fire usually follows when gasoline hits exhaust header.

#10 ·
I am good at spending other peoples money lol if it's "cherry" 2008 order a new "Jiffy Pop" IMHO worth the $160.00 vs some of the beat up used one's I have seen for sale. I am sure if you look long enough a decent one used for a lot less. I have ridden my 2008 without the insulated cover, it did not take me long to realize not for me in Texas summers. YMMV

#11 ·
Mad German,

My answer would depend on how hard the bike gets ridden, how long, and the local weather. If any of those aspects are big there, then sure, get a new heat shield.

I'd be shopping in the home improvements stores, though, not the bike/car shops. Semi-rigid insulation sheet, with foil on one side, should be fine. Get a fireproof grade. Trim to fit, with scissors.

Reactions: Mad German
#12 ·
Thx for all the help guys. We just fashioned one out of some material we found online. Works great so far. Thx again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.