Dirty Headlights - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-31-2020, 04:07 PM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Dirty Headlights

Puttering around the bike today getting ready for the first ride of the season and I noticed my headlights were looking a bit dirty. On closer examination there appears to be some dust/dirt inside the headlight. Other than changing out the bulbs for Led I have never had the dust boot off and the headlight itself looks like a sealed unit. I also noticed what looks like stress lines around the top of the lens where it meets the fairing. Is this all just normal for all 12 year old bikes or is there something that needs doin' here on my part? Can anyone shed some 'light' on this?

2008 FJR, 2012 Versys 650
HD Ultra Classic
BMW K1200RS
HD DynaGlide
HD Sportster
Honda CB750K
Yamaha 650
Honda CB450
Honda 175
etc
etc
Vespa 50cc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-31-2020, 04:42 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

That's stress-cracking baby! It's basically UV degradation of the polycarbonate. There's no way to address the cracking, however headlight polishing cream (Meguiar's or equivalent) will clean up any foggyness in the critical areas where the light has to get out.

Bruce

cvbruce
'07 FJR, burgundy
'13 DRZ400, white
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-31-2020, 07:13 PM
red
FJR Top Gun

Dirty Headlights

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice_station_zebra View Post
Puttering around the bike today getting ready for the first ride of the season and I noticed my headlights were looking a bit dirty. On closer examination there appears to be some dust/dirt inside the headlight.
ice_station_zebra,

Looks to me like you have headlight protection shields installed. If so, that's great. They can save your expensive headlight plastic. Those 1/2" round dots are like a super-Velcro. Pry the headlight protector straight away from the lens, at the Velcro, and clean away. A good cleaner/polish will minimize the stress cracking that you see, also
ice_station_zebra likes this.

Cheers,
Red
2008 FJR1300A
- Pirelli Angel GT (Spec A) tires, RDL seat, TPMS, GPS digital speedometer (Amazon ~US$28.00).

Last edited by red; 03-31-2020 at 07:16 PM.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-31-2020, 11:17 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Good job for Novus #2 if it's on the exterior. I don't know how you'd clean dust off the inside.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-01-2020, 08:24 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Perfectly normal. My bike's got them too. I first noticed this about 6 yrs ago. Haven't degraded much since then.
ice_station_zebra likes this.

Russ
2007A

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-06-2020, 04:35 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Garage
Speaking of headlights... you mentioned switching to LEDs. May I ask what kind you used and if you'd recommend them? I switched to HIDs a couple of years ago and people can really see me in the daytime but they cause way too much glare at night. I am constantly getting flashed by oncoming traffic.

Thanks!

Hangin' in Franklin Indiana. Indiana's best kept secret. It's also where 31, 44, 65, 144 and 135 all lead. Ok, 135 is a bit of a stretch but, you get the idea. Currently home to a 2009 FJR, 1980 XS850 Special, 1982 400 Maxim and a 1983 XJ750 Maxim.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-07-2020, 09:32 AM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vzhq16 View Post
Speaking of headlights... you mentioned switching to LEDs. May I ask what kind you used and if you'd recommend them? I switched to HIDs a couple of years ago and people can really see me in the daytime but they cause way too much glare at night. I am constantly getting flashed by oncoming traffic.

Thanks!
Installed these and so far I'm happy with them. They are 6500LM

These seem to be very popular at 6000LM and less expensive, but were not readily available when I needed them.
vzhq16 likes this.

2008 FJR, 2012 Versys 650
HD Ultra Classic
BMW K1200RS
HD DynaGlide
HD Sportster
Honda CB750K
Yamaha 650
Honda CB450
Honda 175
etc
etc
Vespa 50cc
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-07-2020, 01:33 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I used the F2 ones in the 2nd picture. Very happy with them.
vzhq16 likes this.

Russ
2007A

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-08-2020, 11:02 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

For cleaning the inside maybe pull the headlight bulbs out and use a well filtered air hose to maybe blow the inside clean ? Looking at the pictures kinda looks like the bulb may have exploded in it.

On the “flashing” thing it’s interesting that when I had my 86 gl1200 Sei which was a pearl white Goldwing, I used to-get flashed pretty regularly, and I don’t mean the headlight type either. Only bike I’ve ever had that happen on, my buddy that had the 2011 fjr used to really bust my chops about it until when we swapped rides on the Ohio turnpike (this is when I decided an fjr was in my future) and a rather well endowed young lady pulled along side and gave him a look at her parts.

Weirdest one for me was when a transsexual full bearded whatever pulled along side at 80mph on the 80/90 toll road and gave me a showing, I sold the bike shortly there after. I like my fjr but there are times that I miss that Goldwing. ��
vzhq16 likes this.

Steve P
Red 2014A, the fastest color !
Ride more,, worry less !
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-08-2020, 11:43 AM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
transsexual full bearded whatever
LOL

Robin
2008 Yamaha FJR1300A
2004 Yamaha FJR1300 (sold)
2000 Kawasaki Concours (sold)
...etc.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page