Muffler Repacking - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-30-2020, 09:48 AM Thread Starter
High-G FJR Junkie!

Muffler Repacking

If I’m going to continue to use my beautiful Yoshimura R77 exhaust, it is about time that they be repacked. I’m deciding whether to fool with it.

For those with experience doing this, how big
of a pain is it?

Yoshimura uses closed-end rivets rather than common pop rivets. Can a manual rivet gun be used for these, or is a pneumatic gun required?

Thanks in advance for your insight.

No commercials. No dictators.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2018 FJR1300ES Stealth Model

IBA# 69560

Last edited by Bill Lumberg; 03-30-2020 at 02:37 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-30-2020, 10:14 AM
Trainee Sport Tourer

...and this is why I purchase Staintune cans....
2GENAE likes this.

hANNAbONE
Versailles, IN
...where hiway 421 & 50 kiss...
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-30-2020, 11:50 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Many cans use pop-rivet style, aluminum or stainless. Manual gun would be fine.
2GENAE likes this.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-30-2020, 11:51 AM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Has it really increased sound much or is it more of a its about time thing? I restored a Honda CB1100F a couple of years ago, it had a Vance and Hines four into one that had old burned out looking packing in the muffler. I took it apart, cleaned it up and repacked the crap out of it hoping it would make it much quieter and more mellow sounding. Nope, couldn't tell any difference at all. Had a Delkevic slip-on mounted on my Guzzi Stelvio and with 47k miles, sounds exactly the same as my Griso with the same muffler with only 5k miles. I wouldn't waste my time unless it really bugs you.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-30-2020, 12:31 PM Thread Starter
High-G FJR Junkie!

It’s a sound thing. Repack interval starts at 7,000 miles. And I did 30,000 last year. First, they gradually got too loud without the baffles, so I put the baffles in. That restored them to how they sounded new with the baffles out.

Over time, they’ve become loud enough with the baffles in that it becomes problematic on a long day. My wife can hear me coming when I get off the main road and turn onto our street. Sound superb. They just boom a bit.

Great cans. I get compliments on them regularly. They just require maintenance to do long miles.

IBA# 69560

Last edited by Bill Lumberg; 03-30-2020 at 12:34 PM.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-30-2020, 12:47 PM
FJR Top Gun

Yes you can repack the cans. It is not difficult.

The rivets are called "blind rivets". Rivets are sized by diameter and length. Get the proper ones as a too long of rivet will be difficult to uses a hand gun with and will not hold properly. You can drill the old rivet out through the center with the proper diameter drill bit. If the can shell is SS use SS rivets. If the can is aluminum you need to use aluminum rivets.

The packing can be sources from Mail order MC stores. To make it easier I lightly spritz the fiberglass with water to cut down on the fiberglass dust. But dont soak it. You dont want to breath that. Use a mask also. The old packing will fall apart as you remove it so use more water during removal.
Bill Lumberg, FjrjrF and hANNAbONE like this.

Professional Mechanic
2014 Yamaha FJR
2001 Suzuki Bandit Highly modified
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-30-2020, 01:09 PM
FJR Top Gun

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilemike View Post
Yes you can repack the cans. It is not difficult.

The rivets are called "blind rivets". Rivets are sized by diameter and length. Get the proper ones as a too long of rivet will be difficult to uses a hand gun with and will not hold properly. You can drill the old rivet out through the center with the proper diameter drill bit. If the can shell is SS use SS rivets. If the can is aluminum you need to use aluminum rivets.

The packing can be sources from Mail order MC stores. To make it easier I lightly spritz the fiberglass with water to cut down on the fiberglass dust. But dont soak it. You dont want to breath that. Use a mask also. The old packing will fall apart as you remove it so use more water during removal.
Much useful information, thanks Mike. I never would have thought about the metal type of rivet needing to be the same. Although it's simple enough, I'm simple minded, Thanks.

- Jim,

2014 GenIII RED ES
2002 RED VTX1800c, she is STILL sweet!
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-30-2020, 02:39 PM Thread Starter
High-G FJR Junkie!

These are actually carbon fiber. I have ordered the repack kits from yosh. They include the solid rivets and the blanket-style fill that are used in these cans when they are manufactured. I appreciate the information. It is helpful.
mobilemike likes this.

IBA# 69560
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-30-2020, 05:05 PM
Farkle Trainee

Bill if the end caps are still stuck after you drill out rivets be careful ( tapping lightly) with rubber mallet on intake end, the baffle can collapse inside in some slip on's if one end cap moves and other does not.

I would call Yoush C.S. and ask is the baffle thin screen ( like a D&D can) or mild tube steel perforated etc. and is there a trick to remove it without any damage to the carbon fiber.

Louis
Bill Lumberg and hANNAbONE like this.

1986 FJ 1200
2008 FJR 1300AE
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-30-2020, 07:06 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by hANNAbONE View Post
...and this is why I purchase Staintune cans....
I like the metal mesh never have to to repack, the BMW Boxer owners liked them back in 90's when I worked at D&D. But at a cost this vendor is expensive.

https://ridgemotorsports.stores.deal...x?zpid=5570679
hANNAbONE likes this.

1986 FJ 1200
2008 FJR 1300AE

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page