Source for brake caliper pistons? - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-27-2020, 08:00 PM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Source for brake caliper pistons?

My front brakes were leaking fluid like crazy. I bought a new seal kit off Ebay. Trying to get those blasted pistons out of their bores proved to be a challenge, and I managed to tweak one out of round in the process.

Can anyone tell me where I can find a cheap source for these pistons? Can't seem to find anything cheaper than $90 per side.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-28-2020, 12:55 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

ebay. You might need to buy a complete caliper. A while back, I needed to replace a piston. I ended up buying a complete front brake assembly (calipers, pistons, hoses, those little copper looking (they are not) spring thingys) for $75.

I will sell you one of my spares if it is a main piston for $30. PM me if you are interested.

Time spent looking at motorcycles, even Harleys, is never wasted.

2013 FJR1300A
1984 GPz750
Series III fairing removal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-28-2020, 07:47 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

It would help immensely if you tell us the make, model and year of your vehicle. USA bikes differ in some ways so telling us where you are can be helpful too. But still, check out this thread -> https://www.fjrowners.com/forums/22-...-thailand.html
------------------------------------------------------------
It's like the old story from the parts counter:

kid: Hi. I need some new brake pads.

Counter Man: Sure. What bike you got?

kid: It's blue.
------------------------------------------------------------

Please consider making or modifying your forum signature to include the bike year and model you own. That way there's never any confusion since different model yrs have different stuff and are disassembled different ways.

To create or edit your sig, hover over the word 'TOOLS' in the black bar near the top of the page. A drop-down menu appears, click on 'USER CP'. Then on the left you will see "EDIT SIGNATURE". Click it, do it and save it.

Adding your location so it shows up under your user name can be helpful, too! This is also done under TOOLS/USER CP. Then click on 'Edit Your Details' on the left.

Russ
2007A

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-28-2020, 08:13 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I'd recommend used calipers from ebay.... the pistons will be fine and you'll save tons. When you go to remove them put a brake pad in, pressurize and all the pistons will be close to popping out.... put something thinner in next and you'll get there.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-28-2020, 08:21 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Russ, the last day I worked at the parts store I had a guy in his 50ís come in and ask for a belt for his car,,,,,, (me) which belt are you looking for ? (Him) I donít know, the one that makes the fan turn, (me) ok what year of car and what model do you have? (Him) I donít know, itís silver and I think itís a Honda, (me) what year is it ? (Him) I donít know, I think itís a 95, 96 or maybe a 98, (me) is the car here ? (Him) no, itís at home, boy youíre a nosey a-hole. (Me) sir, I need to know so I can get you the right belt (him) well, sob,,, theyíre all the same just give me a belt, (me) no they are not, I need the info to get you the right belt, could you go home and get the car or the old belt so I can march it up ? (Him) boy, you a-holes just donít want to help me, I think Iíll just go across the street to auto zone they know their business and will help me.....(me) have a nice day sir !

Absolutely true story that generally was repeated 1-2 times a week at least.

Steve P
Red 2014A, the fastest color !
Ride more,, worry less !
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-28-2020, 10:40 AM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Geez, how did I forget that???

It's a 2006 FJR1300A. And it IS Blue!

Googling around, it seems like the 06-07's are the red-headed stepchildren of FJR's. Why no love for these? Did things (brakes or otherwise) change drastically from 08+? For brakes at least, is it because the 06-07's have 2 different size pistons on the RH caliper?

I also noticed that a lot of search results would lead to kits for the super tenere or one of the big yami cruisers. Sure wish there were a way to verify piston OD & height in the kits.

Funny, but even tho she's an 06, I still don't think of her as old...
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-28-2020, 12:11 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I'll go out on a limb and say I think '06 to present have the same calipers... but to be safe, you can stick to any Gen2 caliper. Some part numbers changed after '13, but a lot of them were due to changes in suppliers or colour of the part.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page