2006 FJR Rear Shock Linkage Service - What Fun! - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-16-2020, 10:03 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

2006 FJR Rear Shock Linkage Service - What Fun!

Well folks, I finally bit the bullet and decided it was high time to properly service the rear suspension linkage - specifically the linkage bearings. When I purchased my '06 back in Aug 2018 I noticed that there was an annoying squeak to the suspension. My previous ride was a '92 FJ1200 which had an FZR1000 swing arm assembly installed and an almost identical suspension configuration as the FJR. I made the mistake of assuming that it wouldn't be all that difficult to remove the relay arm on the FJR and pack the bearings with grease. Well, it wasn't that hard except for removing the front-most pivot point from the frame. One needs to remove the centre stand to pull that pivot bolt out. Yamaha, in their infinite wisdom decided to put the front-most mounting bolts of the centre stand in such a way that you would need to remove the entire exhaust system, which in turn requires one removal of the fairing assembly just to get those two bolts out. Either that, or go with the reciprocating saw (sawzall) approach, which I chose to do. Thanks to any previous posts I've read on this site regarding the procedure as well as Two Wheel Obsession YouTube guy - I don't know his name but his videos are very detailed!

Here are a few pics and highlights of the procedure thus far:

I mounted the bike on a lift, on a lift so I could keep it raised with the rear wheel and centre stand removed.

The only thing that gave me some grief was the left-side centre stand nut. It was nearly impossible to get a socket on it from the inside and when I did, it slipped off the first couple tries, thus rounding it off (yay!). I sprayed penetrating oil and it still wouldn't budge. It took some heat from a propane torch to get things to start to move. I had to put a set of vice-grips on the nut and turn the bolt with a wrench on the other side. It was a real Martha Focker, but I got it!

Once I got the nuts off I was able to slide the bolts out far enough to get the reciprocating saw blade on them. It was a tight fit but I was able to do it. I couldn't actually see what I was cutting but my buddy Rob came over and let me know if the blade was aligned properly as I was cutting. Didn't take long at all. Oh, and just as the video from Two Wheel Obsession indicates, you need to have the bike on the centre stand to put some load on the bolts so they don't spin when you're cutting them.

Success!

Once those two bolts were cut we were able to pop them out, remove the centre stand and finally had the space available to remove that front relay arm bolt.

In case you're wondering. this is why you service the rear suspension linkage. That's not a healthy colour.

I brought the relay arm assembly to my local Yamaha shop and we identified the parts to be replaced - which is all the bearings and seals, one bushing, and two centre stand mounting bolts and nuts which will be installed in the opposite direction making for much easier service next time around. I'll also be replacing the bearings in the swing arm mounted pivot.

Since I'm into it this far, I'm going to remove the drive shaft as well as the swing arm so I can inspect and grease the swing arm pivot bearings, the shaft splines and I'll replace the pumpkin juice once the wheel is back on.

Good Times!

Zwartie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-17-2020, 03:10 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zwartie View Post
Well folks, I finally bit the bullet and decided it was high time to properly service the rear suspension linkage - specifically the linkage bearings. When I purchased my '06 back in Aug 2018 I noticed that there was an annoying squeak to the suspension. My previous ride was a '92 FJ1200 which had an FZR1000 swing arm assembly installed and an almost identical suspension configuration as the FJR. I made the mistake of assuming that it wouldn't be all that difficult to remove the relay arm on the FJR and pack the bearings with grease. Well, it wasn't that hard except for removing the front-most pivot point from the frame. One needs to remove the centre stand to pull that pivot bolt out. Yamaha, in their infinite wisdom decided to put the front-most mounting bolts of the centre stand in such a way that you would need to remove the entire exhaust system, which in turn requires one removal of the fairing assembly just to get those two bolts out. Either that, or go with the reciprocating saw (sawzall) approach, which I chose to do. Thanks to any previous posts I've read on this site regarding the procedure as well as Two Wheel Obsession YouTube guy - I don't know his name but his videos are very detailed! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxM083YoWR4&t=1881s

Here are a few pics and highlights of the procedure thus far:

I mounted the bike on a lift, on a lift so I could keep it raised with the rear wheel and centre stand removed.

The only thing that gave me some grief was the left-side centre stand nut. It was nearly impossible to get a socket on it from the inside and when I did, it slipped off the first couple tries, thus rounding it off (yay!). I sprayed penetrating oil and it still wouldn't budge. It took some heat from a propane torch to get things to start to move. I had to put a set of vice-grips on the nut and turn the bolt with a wrench on the other side. It was a real Martha Focker, but I got it!

Once I got the nuts off I was able to slide the bolts out far enough to get the reciprocating saw blade on them. It was a tight fit but I was able to do it. I couldn't actually see what I was cutting but my buddy Rob came over and let me know if the blade was aligned properly as I was cutting. Didn't take long at all. Oh, and just as the video from Two Wheel Obsession indicates, you need to have the bike on the centre stand to put some load on the bolts so they don't spin when you're cutting them.

Success!

Once those two bolts were cut we were able to pop them out, remove the centre stand and finally had the space available to remove that front relay arm bolt.

In case you're wondering. this is why you service the rear suspension linkage. That's not a healthy colour.

I brought the relay arm assembly to my local Yamaha shop and we identified the parts to be replaced - which is all the bearings and seals, one bushing, and two centre stand mounting bolts and nuts which will be installed in the opposite direction making for much easier service next time around. I'll also be replacing the bearings in the swing arm mounted pivot.

Since I'm into it this far, I'm going to remove the drive shaft as well as the swing arm so I can inspect and grease the swing arm pivot bearings, the shaft splines and I'll replace the pumpkin juice once the wheel is back on.

Good Times!

Zwartie
The drive shaft is actually a two part procedure. Please do both.

Russ
2007A

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-17-2020, 07:10 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Thanks Zwartie for all the pics, good job!

Steve P
Red 2014A, the fastest color !
Ride more,, worry less !

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-17-2020, 09:04 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Those bearings, bushings and seals add up to $$.... look for a good used relay arm on ebay and prep it ahead of time.... but, it does pay to do this greasing early in life to prevent your $$$ flying away.
zwartie likes this.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-17-2020, 09:19 AM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Thanks RaY and yes, I agree. I packed the bearings that I could get at with grease back in 2018. Now that I've cut those silly centre stand bolts I'll likely service the relay arm bearings annually. When I was at the Yamaha shop yesterday the Service Manager and I took a look at an FJR on the showroom floor - I believe it's a 2019. Yamaha still installs those centre stand bolts the wrong way - sigh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaYzerman View Post
Those bearings, bushings and seals add up to $$.... look for a good used relay arm on ebay and prep it ahead of time.... but, it does pay to do this greasing early in life to prevent your $$$ flying away.
RaYzerman likes this.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-17-2020, 10:24 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Yes they do... but after all, how would Yamaha know we have issues with this... any "failures" (seize-up of the bearings) would not be known in the warranty period, so no data, no problemo.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-17-2020, 11:09 AM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Great Job Zwartie. How bad (or good) was the front bearing on your relay arm and year & mileage of your bike?

2008 FJR, 2012 Versys 650
HD Ultra Classic
BMW K1200RS
HD DynaGlide
HD Sportster
Honda CB750K
Yamaha 650
Honda CB450
Honda 175
etc
etc
Vespa 50cc
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-17-2020, 11:24 AM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Thanks. The front bearing didn't look too bad and maybe I could get away with just packing it with grease. The middle one was definitely the worst including the bushing which I'm going to replace. I decided to start from scratch and just replace all the bearings (and one bushing) at this time. The bike has 80,000 km on it right now. My '92 FJ had 160,000 km on it and other than replacing one of the bearings, I greased them every year or two and that seemed to keep the bearings in good shape.

Zwartie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice_station_zebra View Post
Great Job Zwartie. How bad (or good) was the front bearing on your relay arm and year & mileage of your bike?
ice_station_zebra likes this.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-17-2020, 01:18 PM
Farkle Trainee

Getting the old bearings out is a bitch of a job, but hopefully you might be lucky. Don't forget to replace all the seals too.
zwartie likes this.

Last edited by fjrlee; 03-17-2020 at 01:20 PM.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-17-2020, 10:13 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Alright - Spent some time on the bike this evening and was able to get the driveshaft assembly, rear shock, and swing arm removed. I removed the swing arm so I could inspect the pivot bearings - The local shop Service Manager (let's call him Gord) said that it's a good idea to inspect and re-grease the pivot bearings but in all his years in the motorcycle business (30+) he's never had to replace them. They look good.

Rear End Stripped

Drive Shaft Assembly, Swing Arm, and Rear Shock

Next is replace the bearings and parts as previously described, inspect, clean, grease, and reinstall everything. How hard can that be?

Zwartie

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page