2006 FJR Rear Shock Linkage Service - What Fun! - Page 2 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-18-2020, 08:42 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

It's not...

I only replace the bushings and bearings if they have got rusty and pitted. The front one usually survives, but the bolt sure does corrode.
You have to punch the bearings out from the opposite side, then I press the new one in with an appropriate sized socket (or an old bearing) in the vice, or you can make up a bearing press with some threaded rod, washers, nuts, old bearing, etc.
zwartie likes this.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-18-2020, 10:26 AM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zwartie View Post
Alright - Spent some time on the bike this evening and was able to get the driveshaft assembly, rear shock, and swing arm removed. I removed the swing arm so I could inspect the pivot bearings - The local shop Service Manager (let's call him Gord) said that it's a good idea to inspect and re-grease the pivot bearings but in all his years in the motorcycle business (30+) he's never had to replace them. They look good.

Rear End Stripped

Drive Shaft Assembly, Swing Arm, and Rear Shock

Next is replace the bearings and parts as previously described, inspect, clean, grease, and reinstall everything. How hard can that be?

Zwartie
This would be a good time to upgrade your shock!

2008 FJR, 2012 Versys 650
HD Ultra Classic
BMW K1200RS
HD DynaGlide
HD Sportster
Honda CB750K
Yamaha 650
Honda CB450
Honda 175
etc
etc
Vespa 50cc
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-18-2020, 03:50 PM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

No need - it's already been done. A '14 shock on my '06.

Zwartie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice_station_zebra View Post
This would be a good time to upgrade your shock!
ice_station_zebra likes this.

post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-23-2020, 12:13 AM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

I sent the relay arm and swing arm to the local shop where they replaced all the rear suspension-related bearings and also one bushing which was pitted / grooved. I got them back Thursday and started the reassembly process this weekend. I also took this time to replace the air filter and I will be replacing the final drive oil as well before this is all done. This is where I'm at so far:

It shouldn't take too long to get the rest of it all back together.

Zwartie
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-23-2020, 08:47 AM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Hurry up and finish this, I get awfully sad seeing FJR's on the operating table.

I was focusing on the bottom picture and find myself wondering what kind of clamps are used to secure the front wheel chock to the lift table?? I don't see heavy duty U-bolts so I start chewing my fingernails...

Yes, it's okay to live your life like there's no tomorrow, just don't FĶ mine up while your doing it.

2019 FJR1300-ES
1984 GPZ 750 Turbo

Last edited by JunkJacket; 03-23-2020 at 08:51 AM.
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-23-2020, 09:23 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Zwartie's not living that dangerously if you look at the forces and triangluation of that nice looking chock. He's just impatient, spring is coming and all he had was those electrical conduit clamps, he wants to be ready to ride.... the U-bolt behind it won't fit, but you know you have to delay shopping... social distancing an all that.....

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-23-2020, 09:46 AM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaYzerman View Post
Zwartie's not living that dangerously if you look at the forces and triangluation of that nice looking chock. He's just impatient, spring is coming and all he had was those electrical conduit clamps, he wants to be ready to ride.... the U-bolt behind it won't fit, but you know you have to delay shopping... social distancing an all that.....
Ya but what's so wrong with "borrowing" u-bolts off the exhaust system from the wife's car?
RaYzerman likes this.

Yes, it's okay to live your life like there's no tomorrow, just don't FĶ mine up while your doing it.

2019 FJR1300-ES
1984 GPZ 750 Turbo
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-23-2020, 11:08 PM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

You mean these clamps?

Yes, RaYzerman is right on the money. There are four (4) 2-hole electrical clamps holding the wheel chock in place and they are fastened to the table with self-tapping screws. I've had that wheel chock in place for about 3 years or so now, about as long as I've had the bike lift. I'm pretty confident that it's not going anywhere. And yes, I am an electrician

Zwartie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JunkJacket View Post
I was focusing on the bottom picture and find myself wondering what kind of clamps are used to secure the front wheel chock to the lift table?? I don't see heavy duty U-bolts so I start chewing my fingernails...
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-24-2020, 12:29 AM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Garage
not going anywhere
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-25-2020, 11:30 PM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

I worked on reassembly last night and then again this evening after supper all I had to do was replace the final drive fluid (pumpkin juice) and reinstall the mufflers. Today was a beautiful day in SW Ontario (sunny and 12C) so I went for a little ride this evening which included turning over the 80,000 km mark. Given all the 5h!t that's been going on (a little virus called COVID-19) it felt even better to get out and ride.

Here's BB2 in the driveway after a satisfying ride:

All back together on the lift after the ride:

All in all the worst part of the job was cutting the centre stand bolts but even that was not too bad. It was a bit time consuming but then time is the one commodity I seem to have more of lately. The Yamaha Service manual was a big help. I made sure to just take my time and go through things step-by-step without getting ahead of myself.

Next up - some minor electrical modifications...

Thanks!

Zwartie

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page