Driveshaft U-Joint - Page 2 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 34Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-26-2020, 06:17 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarDave View Post
There's no shortage of them on eBay Motors.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...00+drive+shaft
If I had a reason to replace the bearings, for some of those prices I'd be all over a replace to experiment with!

Russ
2007A

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-27-2020, 06:44 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Hey all,

Thanks to everyone for their assistance here. I ended up sourcing a u-joint of the correct size (EPI Performance Universal Joints WE100290) and had it installed at the local drive line repair shop for $20

I see a few questioning my logic, so maybe I can help here.

My bike has aver 107,000 miles on it now and if I could have simply "lubed" the u-joint I would have never taken it apart, but since there is no grease fitting on the factory u-joints I wanted to make sure that I would not have a failure in the future. Especially after the things I found in the swing-arm.

So, the new u-joint I found does have a fitting for grease and now I am able to lube it and my swing-arm without any disassembly. I only have to remove the cover for the u-joints

Again, thank you for everyone's input
philharmonic, red, N4HHE and 1 others like this.
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-27-2020, 07:53 PM
red
FJR Top Gun

Driveshaft U-Joint

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyg71083 View Post
Hey all,
Thanks to everyone for their assistance here. I ended up sourcing a u-joint of the correct size (EPI Performance Universal Joints WE100290) and had it installed at the local drive line repair shop for $20 . . . the new u-joint I found does have a fitting for grease and now I am able to lube it and my swing-arm without any disassembly. Again, thank you for everyone's input
Danny,

More like, Thank You for doing the hunt, and then posting the fix.
I'm one guy who would appreciate having a (Zerk) grease fitting in that little unit.
Otherwise, I consider it to be a time bomb, with an unknown timer.
Now I don't see ever needing a U-Joint, but it's good to have something designed better-than-OEM as an option.
As such, I am slowly accumulating a pile of such parts for the "someday" if/when I may need them.
This item will get added to the pile.
Thanks again.
N4HHE likes this.

Cheers,
Red
2008 FJR1300A
- Pirelli Angel GT (Spec A) tires, RDL seat, TPMS, GPS digital speedometer (Amazon ~US$28.00).
P.S. Life is too short, and health is too valuable, to ride on cheap parade-duty tires.

post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-28-2020, 12:59 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by red View Post
As such, I am slowly accumulating a pile of such parts for the "someday" if/when I may need them.
Thanks again.
I've being doing the same over the years gathering a spare swingarm, forks, calipers, fuel pump the list goes on. If only I'd have collected a decent wiring harness as that's the only issue the bike has thrown up and its a right pain in the town halls...

2003 GenI
2006 GenII
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-28-2020, 06:32 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by red View Post
Danny,

More like, Thank You for doing the hunt, and then posting the fix.
I'm one guy who would appreciate having a (Zerk) grease fitting in that little unit.
Otherwise, I consider it to be a time bomb, with an unknown timer.
Now I don't see ever needing a U-Joint, but it's good to have something designed better-than-OEM as an option.
Thanks again.
Back in my younger Drag Racing car days I used a Forged U joint that was solid, drilling the holes for a grease fitting weakened the trunnion.

I know a FJR does not had that much torque vs a V8 but I wondered if Yamaha was saving money on a solid joint or it was stronger??
nunia720 likes this.

1986 FJ 1200
2008 FJR 1300AE
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-28-2020, 08:53 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2GENAE View Post
Back in my younger Drag Racing car days I used a Forged U joint that was solid, drilling the holes for a grease fitting weakened the trunnion.

I know a FJR does not had that much torque vs a V8 but I wondered if Yamaha was saving money on a solid joint or it was stronger??
2gen, the thing I learned racing as well is IF you had a u-joint with a zerk you wanted the driving ears to compress the zerk. Vs trying to pull it apart, hard to explain but if you have the parts in hand itís easier to see, proffered to not have one;Ike you but when I do installi make a point to make sure that the driving side is compressing the zerk. Clear as mud right ?

Steve P
Red 2014A, the fastest color !
Ride more,, worry less !
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-29-2020, 09:38 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyg71083 View Post
Hey all,

Thanks to everyone for their assistance here. I ended up sourcing a u-joint of the correct size (EPI Performance Universal Joints WE100290) and had it installed at the local drive line repair shop for $20

I see a few questioning my logic, so maybe I can help here.

My bike has aver 107,000 miles on it now and if I could have simply "lubed" the u-joint I would have never taken it apart, but since there is no grease fitting on the factory u-joints I wanted to make sure that I would not have a failure in the future. Especially after the things I found in the swing-arm.

So, the new u-joint I found does have a fitting for grease and now I am able to lube it and my swing-arm without any disassembly. I only have to remove the cover for the u-joints

Again, thank you for everyone's input
What allows YOU to ride with confidence, without nagging worries, is what's right for you. Most of us who have been around the FJR for 10 or more years wouldn't have that nagging worry.

Thanks for the work you did, and the part#, all info is appreciated.
2GENAE likes this.

07 FJR 48,000 miles 03 Yamaha FJR1300
1986 Yamaha FZX700 1977 Kawasaki KX250 1978? Yamaha TY250 1979 Yamaha YZ250 1970 850 Moto Guzzi 1974? Honda XL 100 1978? Yamaha XT500 1975 Yamaha RD350B 1964 Bridgestone 90S
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-29-2020, 11:47 AM
FJR Top Gun

107k miles! Its time for a new one!

Professional Mechanic
2014 Yamaha FJR
2001 Suzuki Bandit Highly modified
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-29-2020, 05:23 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Could someone explain this: "the driving side is compressing the zerk"? I can't picture what you are referring to, although I understand the principle.
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-29-2020, 05:46 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by judgedelta View Post
Could someone explain this: "the driving side is compressing the zerk"? I can't picture what you are referring to, although I understand the principle.
IMHO way overthinking on a u-joint that [generally] turns as slowly as ours does.

Russ
2007A

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page