Oil Change Mystery? - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 38Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-21-2020, 11:53 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Oil Change Mystery?

In optimistic anticipation that riding season in my part of the world may arrive in the next few (hopefully no more than three) weeks, I did my first oil change on my FJR (the dealer did the first one as part of the 1K km first service).

In preparation, I read posts and watched video's. The entire process went very smoothly, and was perhaps the quickest and cleanest oil change I have ever done. The posts and video's were very explicit and emphatic about the importance of having the FJR on the centre stand and ensuring it was level/horizontal. But, as both the oil drain bolt and the oil filter are on the left side of the FJR, it seems to me that more of the old oil would drain out (and more quickly) if the FJR were put on its' side stand, which would lean the FJR to the left.

I am now wondering if perhaps I misunderstood the directions, or if there's some part of the draining the old oil process that would not work as well if the FJR were on its' side stand.

I absolutely understand the importance of having the FJR on the centre stand and level/horizontal for putting the new oil in Ö but for the moment it doesn't make sense to me with regard to draining the old oil out.

Any and all insights welcome. Thank you!

Sete
2018 FJR13ESJ
We've got them right where they want us
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-22-2020, 12:39 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

There is good chance with the FJR on the side stand that more oil will be left in the crankcase than with the bike sitting level. Don't know, though. remember, the drain plug is not quite in the corner.
N4HHE and Sete Bond like this.

Time spent looking at motorcycles, even Harleys, is never wasted.

2013 FJR1300A
1984 GPz750
Series III fairing removal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-22-2020, 04:30 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

There simply isnít any reason to have it on itsí side stand. The low point is the drain plug. Putting it on the sidestand wouldnít help you there. And the filter point has never shown any reluctance to let go of oio once the filter is off, especially in places you donít want it.

With over 100,000 miles of oil changes on FJRís, Iíve never seen a problem with the oil draining with the bike on the centerstand. Both of my bikes take an even gallon of oil per change (thatís with a filter change). I have never had to add more, nor have I ever had to add oil between changes.

I change the filter and the FD fluid every oil change. Because Iím stupid and it makes my mind quiet.

No commercials. No dictators.

2018 FJR1300ES Stealth Model

IBA# 69560

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-22-2020, 08:11 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Bill, the “quiet mind” is a really big deal ! Truthfully with today’s synthetic oils 25k between changes (filter-every 5k) is a real possibility but truthfully changing from my normal 2k to 3k to now 5k intervals was very stressful,,,,, it seems that my current 5k intervals is my personal “quiet mind” max. Just won’t sleep........

FD gear lube for me I change every other engine oil change, personally I think that after the first few FD fluid changes that get any machinings or other debris cleaned out of the final drive you could probably never need to change it again but then there’s that “quiet mind” thing again. Just my thoughts....

Steve P
Red 2014A, the fastest color !
Ride more,, worry less !

Last edited by passx; 02-22-2020 at 08:16 AM.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-22-2020, 08:20 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

What JohnC says above..... but no need to get anal about that last drop or two. The engine holds 5 litres, you're basically draining a little over 4L.
Yes quiet mind... 5k stressful? Oh my. FD oil every change... once a year is plenty, Yammy says 2 yrs. But the real deal is check it and if milky (moisture) then change it, if not leave it.
passx and Sete Bond like this.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-22-2020, 08:24 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sete Bond View Post
In optimistic anticipation that riding season in my part of the world may arrive in the next few (hopefully no more than three) weeks, I did my first oil change on my FJR (the dealer did the first one as part of the 1K km first service).

In preparation, I read posts and watched video's. The entire process went very smoothly, and was perhaps the quickest and cleanest oil change I have ever done. The posts and video's were very explicit and emphatic about the importance of having the FJR on the centre stand and ensuring it was level/horizontal. But, as both the oil drain bolt and the oil filter are on the left side of the FJR, it seems to me that more of the old oil would drain out (and more quickly) if the FJR were put on its' side stand, which would lean the FJR to the left.

I am now wondering if perhaps I misunderstood the directions, or if there's some part of the draining the old oil process that would not work as well if the FJR were on its' side stand.

I absolutely understand the importance of having the FJR on the centre stand and level/horizontal for putting the new oil in Ö but for the moment it doesn't make sense to me with regard to draining the old oil out.

Any and all insights welcome. Thank you!
Side stand or center stand, either way there will be near a quart of dirty, grungy oil, full of metal etching acids and passageway blocking sludge left in the engine/transmission/clutch. Now that ought to keep ya awake late into the wee hours.
JohnC, passx, vzhq16 and 1 others like this.

Kevin
The Outpost, Silver City, MT
2018 Ural Gear Up, 2017 R1200GSA
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-22-2020, 08:27 AM
Farkle Trainee

With bike on side stand , oil will drip off filter /engine case into pan better than running down side of engine. It is also better for same reason to do rear drive on side stand.
That being said, I still do it both ways and don't worry about getting more/less out of engine drain plug either way.
Just add 4L with filter and all will be good.
As Bill says, I too have never had to adjust oil level in 70K miles. Typical Japanese bulletproof engine.
Sete Bond likes this.

2014 FJR1300 B(AEO) #290 "Rootbeer metalic"
1999 C10 ( Sold May/16....Goodbye old friend)
2015 DR650

"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first and the lessons afterwards"
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-22-2020, 01:32 PM
FJR Top Gun

Bryan makes up a lot of absolutes in "the videos", many are harmless, many are dead wrong.

You can experiment for yourself. Drain oil on sidestand, replace plug, put bike on centerstand and remove plug again to see if anything much comes out. I'd expect some just because it took a minute or so to change position. Next time do it the other way, drain on center, retest on side.

But really, it doesn't matter. Drain on centerstand without changing the filter and exactly 4.0 quarts is a perfect fill. About 6 oz more when replacing the filter. If you were able to get 6 or 8 ounces more out on sidestand then it would matter, but I don't think that will happen. I don't worry about leaving 6 oz of old oil in my filter. I only change filter every-other oil change.

Have retold the tale many times of my 2000 Toyota Avalon oil changes. Drained hot the oil filter make a big mess when removed. 5 quarts was over FULL on the dipstick. But drained cold the oil filter came off clean and 5 quarts was perfectly 1/8" under the FULL line. Concluded cold drain got more old oil out, which is good. But getting the oil filter off without making a huge mess was what won me over. Darn thing was mounted 45į under hot exhaust manifold and full of hot oil. But was nearly empty when cold.

Hot or cold doesn't seem to matter on FJR. Same quantity to fill either way.

My new F-150 with 2.7EB engine is another issue. Ford says wait 10 minutes to check oil for an accurate reading. Have learned the oil filter needs to be removed before draining because the engine holds a lot of oil in passages even beyond 10 minutes. I have to put it up on ramps to get under to remove access panel, so it effectively "drains on sidestand".

Curious thing, I use a 1/4" cordless impact driver to remove the access panel 8mm head bolts, but the drain plug is a plastic bayonet with o-ring that comes out by hand. Even so this is the most difficult vehicle to change oil I have owned in 45 years.

2018 F-150 XLT SuperCab 4x4 2.7L
2016 FJR1300A
2016 Beta 430 RS
2016 Subaru Outback
2013 Tesla Model S 85
2009 Husaberg FE450
1983 Porsche 928S
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-22-2020, 02:50 PM
Farkle Trainee

As to final drive fluid, I have been changing mine every other oil change or every 8.000 miles.(same as I did on my ST 1300). If I only rode 8,000 miles a year it would make sense to change it once a year, but at riding about 3 times that, I can't see letting it go 25,000 miles without being changed. What to do think Ray?

SW Ohio
2018 Yamaha FJR 1300A
2014 Honda CB1100 DLX

It doesn't matter what I ride, where I ride, how fast I ride, or how far I ride... it only matters THAT I RIDE...EVERY DAY. "Ferret"
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-22-2020, 04:12 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

5000 mile full synth oil changes -- rear drive full synth changed every year//checked before any long, long trip.

hANNAbONE
Versailles, IN
...where hiway 421 & 50 kiss...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page