Abba Superbike Stand Review - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By Polar
  • 1 Post By RaYzerman
  • 1 Post By wczimmerman
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-08-2020, 03:53 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
Farkle Trainee
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Pahrump, NV
Posts: 130
Abba Superbike Stand Review

I have trying to find a solution for lifting the rear of the bike in a stable way for servicing the rear suspension and swing arm. I have read about folks lifting their bikes from the rafters or using the iron pipe stand but all of these have the risk of the bike either breaking on the rear subframe or tipping over.

Well, our British friends across the pond at the FJR Owners Club came up with a solution. They sell adapters for the Abba Superbike stand.

https://abbastandsusa.com/product-de...ke-stand&pid=1

https://www.fjrcatalogue.com/catalog...5/10408103.htm

Normally, this stand would not work with the FJR since it doesn't have the traditional swingarm bolts as other bikes on either side. So, their adapters replace the lower rear frame bolt with two bits that securely insert into the stand. I ordered my adapters back at the beginning of the year and they arrived recently after spending a great deal of time with the Royal Mail and USPS.

Installation of the adapters was easy. Simply remove the bolt on one side at a time. I torqued mine to 25 ft/lbs. On the brake lever side I found it easier to get the boxed wrench in from the front rather than the rear.

To lift the bike you insert the longer "L" side of the stand into the adapter while angled toward the back of the bike (bike is on the side stand). Then, on the other side of the bike you insert the remaining stand section into the L side, tighten the thumb screw and then turn the upper screw to cinch things up. Then you pull up on the lever arm with an assistant holding the bike upright and you can easily lift the bike. My writing makes it sound complicated but Abba has some nice videos demonstrating this.

You can see from the photos that these adapters are unobtrusive and when the stand is in place, things are absolutely rock solid. This DOES get the rear wheel off the ground but it will be slightly lower than when the bike is on its own centerstand. While the overall cost is about $300 total for the stand, adapters, and club membership (required for purchasing), in my opinion it is the right tools for the job. Once you have a membership you can also avail yourself of all the tech articles that these FJR Masters have assembled. They also are very prompt in responding to questions on things, understanding the time difference. I am also working on trying to have them out for a tech day in the desert...they are open to it!

As an aside, these adapters work with the standard receivers that come with the stand. Since my daughter rides a Ninja 500, I ordered the receivers for the Ninja so I would have both since it is trivial to swap them and it makes it possible to service her bike with the same stand.



Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

2015 FJR1300A
2006 Majesty YP400

Last edited by wczimmerman; 02-08-2020 at 03:59 PM.
wczimmerman is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-08-2020, 05:12 PM
Senior Member
Farkle Trainee
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Birmingham UK
Posts: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by wczimmerman View Post
I have trying to find a solution for lifting the rear of the bike in a stable way for servicing the rear suspension and swing arm. I have read about folks lifting their bikes from the rafters or using the iron pipe stand but all of these have the risk of the bike either breaking on the rear subframe or tipping over.

Well, our British friends across the pond at the FJR Owners Club came up with a solution. They sell adapters for the Abba Superbike stand.

https://abbastandsusa.com/product-de...ke-stand&pid=1

https://www.fjrcatalogue.com/catalog...5/10408103.htm

Normally, this stand would not work with the FJR since it doesn't have the traditional swingarm bolts as other bikes on either side. So, their adapters replace the lower rear frame bolt with two bits that securely insert into the stand. I ordered my adapters back at the beginning of the year and they arrived recently after spending a great deal of time with the Royal Mail and USPS.

Installation of the adapters was easy. Simply remove the bolt on one side at a time. I torqued mine to 25 ft/lbs. On the brake lever side I found it easier to get the boxed wrench in from the front rather than the rear.

To lift the bike you insert the longer "L" side of the stand into the adapter while angled toward the back of the bike (bike is on the side stand). Then, on the other side of the bike you insert the remaining stand section into the L side, tighten the thumb screw and then turn the upper screw to cinch things up. Then you pull up on the lever arm with an assistant holding the bike upright and you can easily lift the bike. My writing makes it sound complicated but Abba has some nice videos demonstrating this.

You can see from the photos that these adapters are unobtrusive and when the stand is in place, things are absolutely rock solid. This DOES get the rear wheel off the ground but it will be slightly lower than when the bike is on its own centerstand. While the overall cost is about $300 total for the stand, adapters, and club membership (required for purchasing), in my opinion it is the right tools for the job. Once you have a membership you can also avail yourself of all the tech articles that these FJR Masters have assembled. They also are very prompt in responding to questions on things, understanding the time difference. I am also working on trying to have them out for a tech day in the desert...they are open to it!

As an aside, these adapters work with the standard receivers that come with the stand. Since my daughter rides a Ninja 500, I ordered the receivers for the Ninja so I would have both since it is trivial to swap them and it makes it possible to service her bike with the same stand.



Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk


Just for info the adapters are not something you can only get through the FJR club they are an ABBA part they are the adapters for using the stand when you wish to remove the swinging arm on say R1 or GSXR. They are simply called "swinging arm removal adapters"

Also the best way to use the ABBA stand with the FJR is to use a plank of wood under the stand so it raises the bike a little higher.


hope this helps
2GENAE likes this.

05 FJR Silver & Blue
19 plate MT10SP / crazy but i love it
Polar is offline  
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-08-2020, 06:57 PM
Senior Member
High-G FJR Junkie!
 
RaYzerman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Millgrove, ON, CA
Posts: 6,492
I think that stand should be on the other way around so the handle is on the left side and the sidestand would naturally fold up.
So, new idea..... building a home-built stand for that suspension pivot/centerstand removal service... some heavier swingarm spools mounted similarly would make a good pair of lifting points.........
2GENAE likes this.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
RaYzerman is offline  
 
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-09-2020, 05:47 AM
Senior Member
Farkle Trainee
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Birmingham UK
Posts: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaYzerman View Post
I think that stand should be on the other way around so the handle is on the left side and the sidestand would naturally fold up.
So, new idea..... building a home-built stand for that suspension pivot/centerstand removal service... some heavier swingarm spools mounted similarly would make a good pair of lifting points.........

Never noticed that buy Ray is right the stand is the wrong way round. Have a look at the ABBA web site for further advice.

Ive go an ABBA stand and the bits that go with it it works great on all my bikes inc the FJR. But i dont use it on the floor as i have a hydraulic work ramp, it works brilliantly with this.

05 FJR Silver & Blue
19 plate MT10SP / crazy but i love it
Polar is offline  
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-09-2020, 08:07 AM
Senior Member
Farkle Trainee
 
NealC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Clayton, NC
Posts: 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar View Post
Never noticed that buy Ray is right the stand is the wrong way round. Have a look at the ABBA web site for further advice.

Ive go an ABBA stand and the bits that go with it it works great on all my bikes inc the FJR. But i dont use it on the floor as i have a hydraulic work ramp, it works brilliantly with this.

'14 FJR1300ES
NealC is offline  
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-09-2020, 08:19 AM
Senior Member
Farkle Trainee
 
NealC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Clayton, NC
Posts: 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaYzerman View Post
I think that stand should be on the other way around so the handle is on the left side and the sidestand would naturally fold up.
So, new idea..... building a home-built stand for that suspension pivot/centerstand removal service... some heavier swingarm spools mounted similarly would make a good pair of lifting points.........
Info on building stand

https://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=12471

'14 FJR1300ES
NealC is offline  
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-09-2020, 08:54 AM
Senior Member
High-G FJR Junkie!
 
RaYzerman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Millgrove, ON, CA
Posts: 6,492
In my case, I'd only use an Abba if I had other bikes that had no centerstands, but all of them do and the suspension service can be done. With the the FJR, this suspension pivot service can mostly be done on the centerstand except for that front bolt. Once greased well up there, it should be good for a couple of years.
Thanks for the link Neal...

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
RaYzerman is offline  
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-09-2020, 01:23 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
Farkle Trainee
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Pahrump, NV
Posts: 130
The instructions with the adapters from the club show the bike stand "backwards" from how Abba describes it. I emailed them with that question as I didn't try to do it the "normal" way when testing with the FJR. I did use the stand in the normal way with the Ninja.

I appreciate the pointer that Abba has the adapters listed on their screen. I didn't know that but I'm also happy to support the club.
Polar likes this.

2015 FJR1300A
2006 Majesty YP400
wczimmerman is offline  
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-09-2020, 03:14 PM
Senior Member
Farkle Trainee
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Birmingham UK
Posts: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by wczimmerman View Post
The instructions with the adapters from the club show the bike stand "backwards" from how Abba describes it. I emailed them with that question as I didn't try to do it the "normal" way when testing with the FJR. I did use the stand in the normal way with the Ninja.

I appreciate the pointer that Abba has the adapters listed on their screen. I didn't know that but I'm also happy to support the club.

Thanks for the heads, did they tell you about the plank of wood to raise the bike a bit?

I ask because as far as i am aware it was a guy off the forum who came up with this by talking to ABBA and not the idea of the club workshop.

05 FJR Silver & Blue
19 plate MT10SP / crazy but i love it
Polar is offline  
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-29-2020, 10:28 PM
Junior Member
Training wheels fitted!
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 2
@ wczimmerman

In your review of the product you state that the rear wheel sits somewhat lower on the Abba stand than on the bikes center stand. Did this create any difficulties when either removing or reinstalling the rear wheel?

As pointed out by RaYzerman, the Abba stand is being deployed opposite of the way the company demonstrates it. I am thinking that the Abba stand would interfere with the removal of the bike's center stand if it were turned around the other way. Did you have any difficulties removing the center stand bolts with the Abba stand deployed as it is? Do you think that there would be sufficient clearance to remove the center stand if the Abba stand were deployed the other way around? There also appears to be clearance issues between the Abba stand and the rider's foot pegs. In your pictures they are folded up out of the way. Did this cause any difficulties when either raising or lowering the bike?

Finally, how did you deal with the front two bolts of the center stand that are restricted by the exhaust pipes on either side of the stand? Did you cut the bolts in order to remove them or did you remove the entire exhaust system to eliminate the restriction?
Enxss is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome