Brake flush using MityVac : my first time - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-07-2020, 10:35 PM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Brake flush using MityVac : my first time

Hello riders,
I ride a 2016 FJR 1300A. Canadian model. I changed my brake fluid at 31,000 kms, after going about 25,000 kms on it. The fluid looked like cider vinegar, or whiskey. I had trouble getting a vacuum seal around the attachments of the Mityvac, and so used pieces of wire to wire tie the hoses tight. I found the front fork calipers had smaller brake bleed fittings than the rear wheel. I could not get a good fit on the front , whereas the rear nipple was perfect for the clear plastic hose supplied with the kit.
To suction out the front calipers, I used a very small fitting from Mityvac, that fits inside the nipple opening, and held it snug with one hand, while creating the vacuum needed to withdraw the fluid, with the other. Is there a trick, or technique that I could use here to smooth out this little wrinkle.

Thanks for reading.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-08-2020, 04:31 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I have to fight with it endlessly. Even using a zip tie doesnít help. There is one rubber tip included in the kit that makes it better. Both you still have to stand on one foot and hold two things simultaneously.

I ordered surgical tubing from speedbleeder that probably would make this 100x easier, but misplaced it some time between receipt and the next brake/clutch bleed.

No commercials. No dictators.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2018 FJR1300ES Stealth Model

IBA# 69560
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-08-2020, 07:26 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Myself, the next time I bleed my system (just did it ) I will replace the bleed screws with the “speed bleeders” that I have bought, much easier way to bleed the brakes. I just hope I can remember where I put them for “safe” keeping.

They have a one way check valve in them that lets you just pump the levers and yes for whatever reason yamaha used a larger bleeder in the back brake caliper.

As far as tubing goes, I use Tygon tubing which is similar to the surgical tube Bill mentioned above but it is available from most parts stores or industrial supply houses, also available from amazon in aboutany size you want. Much cheaper.

Steve P
Red 2014A, the fastest color !
Ride more,, worry less !

Last edited by passx; 02-08-2020 at 07:31 AM.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-08-2020, 08:25 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I've had mixed results with vacuum bleeding, no longer a fan. Silicone/Tygon tubing and SpeedBleeders work great. Flush and bleed both clutch and brakes annually will keep everything working well and least amount of fuss on an FJR.
JohnC, Mr_Ed and 2GENAE like this.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-08-2020, 08:36 AM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Be sure to put some wheel bearing grease on the bleeder screw threads to reduce any air being sucked by the threads when bleeding.
2GENAE likes this.

"If ya can't be handsome, ya might as well be handy!"

2004 FJR1300
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-08-2020, 09:02 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I went to the home improvement store and got some plastic tuning that fit. I have enjoyed the ease of one-person-bleeding (without having to reach around to brake controls) for decades.

Ridden wet. Put up hard.

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-08-2020, 01:54 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garauld View Post
Be sure to put some wheel bearing grease on the bleeder screw threads to reduce any air being sucked by the threads when bleeding.
I’ve been doing this to for years too! I use a thick bearing grease and smear it around the bleed screw and tube connection. Helps keep a good vacuum seal, but be careful. there isn’t a lot of fluid in the circuits. It will bleed fast!
bounce and OhLuckyMan like this.

Candy Red 2014 FJR ES
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-08-2020, 09:19 PM
FJR Top Gun

The rubber nipple on the $33 Harbor Freight air-compressor powered bleeder fits front, rear, and clutch nipples perfectly.

Uses a fair bit of air. Doubt a pancake compressor would be satisfactory. A 12v inflator not at all.

The huge advantage is it pulls a continuous vacuum not allowing any potential bubble to rise between pumps. Yet one can also pump the lever while the bleeder is sucking to speed up the job.

2018 F-150 XLT SuperCab 4x4 2.7L
2016 FJR1300A
2016 Beta 430 RS
2016 Subaru Outback
2013 Tesla Model S 85
2009 Husaberg FE450
1983 Porsche 928S
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-09-2020, 10:05 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I eventually got one of these after wearing out 3 mityvacs.

N4HHE likes this.

Ridden wet. Put up hard.

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-09-2020, 06:23 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Another vote for speedbleeders and their baggie/hose kit. The only problem I have is that my canyon cages make getting access to the clutch slave cylinder a little difficult.

I also second Ray's thoughts on annual hydraulic bleeding. Last year, I had to open the front brake circuit one year after I bled the hydraulics. The old brake fluid came out pretty clear but, after one year, the clutch fluid was pretty dirty.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1310931.JPG (945.0 KB, 10 views)

Time spent looking at motorcycles, even Harleys, is never wasted.

2013 FJR1300A
1984 GPz750
Series III fairing removal:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page