DIY Tire Changes - Page 7 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 70Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #61 of 98 (permalink) Old 12-26-2019, 12:34 PM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Ed View Post
and all went well until I put an ounce in the front of my ZRX, and it shook pretty bad. You don't just remove the beads. I can't tell you what happened for sure, but I suspect I may have gotten a little wild with the lube when balancing and they clumped in the wheel. They didn't look clumped when I removed them, but I don't know.
You may simply have needed more than an ounce for that particular tire. I tried the same on my last front tire - I was a little cheap on the beads so it would shake a little at 70+ mph. I simply added another ounce and problem went away. Since you can't add too much I now put 50% more than I would normally think I need.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 98 (permalink) Old 12-26-2019, 10:33 PM
Training wheels fitted!

I use a pit posse tire changing stand. https://www.pitposse.com/pit-posse-t...ing-stand.html It just holds the wheel while I work on it. I tie wrapped some split garden hose to it for additional padding. I used one large tire iron like this one. https://www.pitposse.com/pit-posse-1...tire-iron.html and two small straight ones. I use a pair of rim protectors at the start and then some pieces of cut up detergent bottles (very strong by thin plastic) to protect the rim. I use a Marc Parnes static balancer propped between two jack stands. http://marcparnes.com/ Probably changed 20 sets of tires between my bikes and friends. 4 sets on the FJR. First couple of times was all afternoon wrestling with tires. After a while you get the hang of it and it only takes an hour or two to do both ends. For the FJR the centerstand works fine for the rear and I lift the front with a rubber padded floor jack under the pipes for the front (while it's on the centerstand). Your only lifting a little bit as the centerstand it close to the balance point. If you want to use all rubber valve stems you need a tool to pull them in when you change them and if you have any bikes with tubes, do yourself a favor and get one of those little wire tools for pulling the valve stem into the hole. It saves time and aggravation. I use a Harbor Freight bead breaker padded with a piece of carpet. Use plenty of rubber lubricant and you can remove and replace a tire with hand tools. I never saw the need to invest in one of those lever style tire changers. A lot of money and garage space tied up. Maybe if I had a bike repair business. Once or twice a year, the fully manual method works fine. You also need a valve stem removal tool and a ratchet strap for the occasional tire that doesn't want to hold air enough to air pressure alone to get the bead to seat. Oh, and one of these can be handy if you don't have a helper and the bead keeps chasing you around in circles putting it back on. https://www.pitposse.com/pit-posse-mini-tire-pal.html
post #63 of 98 (permalink) Old 12-27-2019, 01:27 AM
FJR Top Gun

When mounting a tube tire put the tube in the tire then put the rim inside the tire. Spread the tire at the valve stem, thread the stem through the rim then push the rim all the way inside. Its easy to move the rim around inside and rethread the valve stem if you have to, and rim locks. Only then do you lay it on its side and start prying the tire over and into the rim. Then flip and do the other side. Prying the tire into the rim from both sides rather than put both beads over the rim from only one side of the wheel.

This doesn't work with a tire stand such as the No-Mar which clamps one rim side but with something like the Pit Posse that holds the wheel by the spokes it works great.

With a tubeless tire on No-Mar the first side is a freebie. Trivially easy to get 1st side over the rim. Its the 2nd side where all the work and skill lies.

2018 F-150 XLT SuperCab 4x4 2.7L
2016 FJR1300A
2016 Beta 430 RS
2016 Subaru Outback
2013 Tesla Model S 85
2009 Husaberg FE450
1983 Porsche 928S

post #64 of 98 (permalink) Old 12-27-2019, 08:46 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

One thing I haven’t seen address’d is what do you guy’s do with the take off’s ?

Steve P
Red 2014A, the fastest color !
Ride more,, worry less !
post #65 of 98 (permalink) Old 12-27-2019, 09:11 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by passx View Post
One thing I haven’t seen address’d is what do you guy’s do with the take off’s ?
You must be inventive....

Our county dump takes tires at no charge.
wheaton and 2014oldred like this.

Kevin
The Outpost, Silver City, MT
2018 Ural Gear Up, 2017 R1200GSA
post #66 of 98 (permalink) Old 12-27-2019, 11:02 AM
FJR Top Gun

Quote:
Our county sanitation department will pick up up to 8 at a time or 16 a year from one household. I call them to come get them, they tell me when it'll be, and I make sure they're up by the road. My mother in law lives close to us, and I have had to use her address once when I got over the 16-tire / year limit.

If that's not available to you you might google "tire recycling near me" and find someone that'll take them.

Just keepin' up with traffic, Officer.

'13 FJR1300
'99 ZRX1100
post #67 of 98 (permalink) Old 12-27-2019, 11:52 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

My local recycle center takes 5 at a time per visit... not really enforced, you can take more if m/c tires.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
post #68 of 98 (permalink) Old 12-27-2019, 12:20 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

My local landfill has a trailer where all they ask is that you stack them neatly. No charge.

Russ
2007A

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #69 of 98 (permalink) Old 12-27-2019, 01:12 PM
FJR Top Gun

Quote:
Private parties may dispose of tires at our County Commissioner's office for free.

2018 F-150 XLT SuperCab 4x4 2.7L
2016 FJR1300A
2016 Beta 430 RS
2016 Subaru Outback
2013 Tesla Model S 85
2009 Husaberg FE450
1983 Porsche 928S
post #70 of 98 (permalink) Old 12-27-2019, 01:34 PM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Quote:
My local recycle center takes 4 tires for $12. I go there whenever I have four stacked up...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page