2014 FJR 1st Battery Replacement - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By Brian20
  • 1 Post By NealC

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-31-2019, 06:46 PM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

2014 FJR 1st Battery Replacement

My bike does not start right away, it takes a couple of seconds to turn over. Been going on at least two years. Today, after 42,000 miles and six years, the bike cranked slowly, but would not start. It so happens I recently purchased a portable starter and though it was a little tricky getting the clamp on the hard to access positive terminal, once I did the bike started right away. I will order another battery, but getting it out of its location is hampered by the front panel, and or the bracket that holds it in place. Unable to remove the **** thing, but I will find a way.

Does the hold down bracket come out? At any rate I will let you all know if a new battery resolves the slow starting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-31-2019, 07:19 PM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Well now I cannot find a replacement other than after market brands so if anyone knows where to buy a Yuasa GS) GT14B-4 please let me know. Maybe the dealership?
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-31-2019, 07:36 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

There is no need to remove the hold down bracket, the battery comes straight up... maybe removing the front dash panel plastic might help.
You can order the battery from Partzilla, but I would ask if it is indeed the GT series Yuasa. If so, bonus. The aftermarket Yuasa is a YT-14B-BS and it will come with the acid pack to fill it. Follow the directions, put it on slow charge overnight, then install it.
There are other brands aplenty, but I stick to Yuasa.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-31-2019, 09:44 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

I bought the lower budget one for about half the price cuz I was in a pinch. Been 3 yrs, so far so good. I do remember it being a pita to install tho.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-31-2019, 11:53 PM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

I also prefer Yuasa and I will probably remove the front panel when ready. As far as the oem battery it seems the issue is that the replacement no longer carries the Yuasa name, however, I believe a suitable replacement is the GS (only) GT14B-4 that I found on amazon. I am ordering it now.

Last edited by Nativeson; 11-01-2019 at 12:07 AM.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-02-2019, 08:57 AM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nativeson View Post
My bike does not start right away, it takes a couple of seconds to turn over. Been going on at least two years. Today, after 42,000 miles and six years, the bike cranked slowly, but would not start. It so happens I recently purchased a portable starter and though it was a little tricky getting the clamp on the hard to access positive terminal, once I did the bike started right away. I will order another battery, but getting it out of its location is hampered by the front panel, and or the bracket that holds it in place. Unable to remove the **** thing, but I will find a way.

Does the hold down bracket come out? At any rate I will let you all know if a new battery resolves the slow starting.
No need to remove any plastic besides the battery cover itself. I replaced my 2015 battery recently and found that removing the entire battery hold down bracket, turning the forks to the left full lock, and pushing the rear of the battery towards the forks (it will take more force than one would think), it will pop right out. Reinstall in reverse.
RERJr and Bill Lumberg like this.

2015 FJR1300A
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-02-2019, 11:06 AM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Garage
As Brian20 says. It just takes a little patience!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-02-2019, 11:55 AM
Farkle Trainee

Every time I see a thread about battery replacement on an FJR, it reminds me of this:

GS Battery is a subsidiary of GS Yuasa. http://www.gsbattery.com/ A GS GT14B-4 is a GS Yuasa battery. A Yuasa YT14B-BS is also a GS Yuasa battery.

They come from the same factory location in Taiwan.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Batteria_GT14B-4_GS_Yuasa_Yamaha_5EA8210011000.jpg (174.5 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg Yuasa.jpg (160.2 KB, 2 views)
Bill Lumberg likes this.

'14 FJR1300ES
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-09-2019, 12:49 PM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Appreciate the info on battery removal, as for me I was unable to remove it without first removing the front cover at which time it came out with ease. So my advice is to remove the front dash cover and take life easy when possible.
The vertical portion of the hold down bracket will come out after it is leaned back far enough for those who would rather try and remove the battery and nothing else.

As for the new battery, well the first one arrived in 3 days, but the negative terminal was crushed and the corner slightly damaged. The sender responded quickly and after sending them a photo of the problem they refunded my money as I had already ordered another one from them. The second battery arrived yesterday and to my consternation the negative terminal was again damaged, but I fixed it somewhat with a small pair of vice grips and then charged it an hour or two at 14 volts.
At this time the voltage at rest reads 13.2 which is a good thing I hope. My VStrom battery reads 12.6 volts at rest. When the motor (FJR) is running the voltage shows 14.4 volts so it should be charging well.
As for the slow starting issue it may have improved, but I need more time to say for sure.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page