Garauld Stiffy Kit WELL BUILT - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-10-2019, 10:47 PM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Garauld Stiffy Kit WELL BUILT

Mounting Garauld Stiffy Kit for my GEN II ( 2008 ) was a easy procedure, we followed instructions. I ordered it and 4 days later it was at my door, same when I ordered my HighWay Pegs, easy to install and nice finish. The frame kit and hiway pegs have nice looking weld beads and finish . Great Customer Service and excellent workmanship on them.

I am going email him and ask what the small "Bubble Level" that was in the bag with longer bolts etc is for????

It maybe over kill with the GIVI SR 357 Rack and "Stiffy Kit" but I ride two up a lot and noticed the threads with broken sub frames.

Figured this was a no brainier and not sweat it.

One less thing NOT to worry about with wife on the back on a trip.

1986 FJ 1200
2008 FJR 1300AE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-10-2019, 11:03 PM
Training wheels fitted!

I just removed my givi bracket and noticed that it left openings on the top cover of tailight and where the bolt on bracket sticks out under the rear seat. I bought this bike used. Are these openings have covers that im missing? Looking for a clean, sealed look here.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-10-2019, 11:07 PM
Farkle Trainee

I, too, have a Stiffy and an SR357. I agree with you; the Stiffy kit is VERY well made and installs without a hitch. Garauld is an artist in every sense of the word.
2GENAE likes this.

2008 Gen II
When I was a track-a-holic on my R1 & R6, I used to think that the FJR was an old man's bike. Then I got one and absolutely love it. Hey...wait a minute!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-10-2019, 11:34 PM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Cool

The bubble level is to ensure you stay upright..
Ride safe!
passx, OrmondB and 2GENAE like this.

"If ya can't be handsome, ya might as well be handy!"

2004 FJR1300
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-14-2019, 06:45 PM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garauld View Post
The bubble level is to ensure you stay upright..
Ride safe!
Tooo Funny, better then a bell hanging off the frame
Mad German likes this.

1986 FJ 1200
2008 FJR 1300AE
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-14-2019, 07:46 PM
Farkle Trainee

Peace of mind is worth a lot sometimes.
2GENAE likes this.

SW Ohio
2018 Yamaha FJR 1300A
2014 Honda CB1100 DLX

It doesn't matter what I ride, where I ride, or how far I ride... it only matters THAT I ride...every day. "Ferret"
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-14-2019, 09:07 PM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastiffmanjones View Post
I just removed my givi bracket and noticed that it left openings on the top cover of tailight and where the bolt on bracket sticks out under the rear seat. I bought this bike used. Are these openings have covers that im missing? Looking for a clean, sealed look here.
IIRC there is a Yamaha OEM flat rack that sets there.I purchased mine too used in Feb, it has the GIVI SR 357 trunk mount and V46 trunk. Not sure there is a painted fastener to plug those openings.

1986 FJ 1200
2008 FJR 1300AE
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-14-2019, 09:23 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

All I can say about it is the stiffy by itself will not prevent a broken subframe but adding it in with the givi357, shadtube rack or like mine with the heavy aluminum Yamaha rack can’t hurt. The more that can be done to support the rear subframe the better. My stiffy (����) is heavily modified to help suppler the rear tab & the 2 rear tailight mounts, I think I could haul cement with mine but will add that I adhere to the 10lb max weight restriction 100%.

Don’t want to go through replacing that F***King thing again!

In addition if you appreciate Gary’s work with the stiffy you should check out his highway pegs, just 1st class all the way.
2GENAE likes this.

Steve P
Red 2014A, the fastest color !
Ride more,, worry less !

Last edited by passx; 10-14-2019 at 09:25 PM.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 06:19 AM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by passx View Post
All I can say about it is the stiffy by itself will not prevent a broken subframe but adding it in with the givi357, shadtube rack or like mine with the heavy aluminum Yamaha rack canít hurt. The more that can be done to support the rear subframe the better. My stiffy (����) is heavily modified to help suppler the rear tab & the 2 rear tailight mounts, I think I could haul cement with mine but will add that I adhere to the 10lb max weight restriction 100%.

Donít want to go through replacing that F***King thing again!

In addition if you appreciate Garyís work with the stiffy you should check out his highway pegs, just 1st class all the way.
How did you modify your Stiffy? Do you have any pics? Thx so much.

2008 Gen II
When I was a track-a-holic on my R1 & R6, I used to think that the FJR was an old man's bike. Then I got one and absolutely love it. Hey...wait a minute!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 08:12 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Mad, sorry no pictures but what I did was add a “tongue” that was about 3/16” thick and went back over the top of the frame to the back hole of the mounting tab to keep it from flexing which is what causes the lower subframe to break.

And if you look at the pictures of all the broken frames they all break around the bolt holes on the lower part of the frame where the tailight and fender bolt through. So I made a couple of steel brackets that bolt to the stiffy and to the lower subframe fender/tailight bolt holes. This is meant to reduce or eliminate any twisting there along with helping support the substantial weight there which is attached to the thinnest part of the lower subframe.

Welding the brackets in would provide a better support but if you need to change a tailight or turn signal bulb you’ll need to remove one of the brackets to access them.

My topcase from day 1 would bounce & flop with the original plastic Yamaha rack and the Shad “X” shaped mounting adapter and that's what Broke my frame in my opinion. Adding the additional supports to the stiffy along with the heavy aluminum Yamaha rack now provides no movement of my topcase. Hope this helps.

Steve P
Red 2014A, the fastest color !
Ride more,, worry less !

Last edited by passx; 10-15-2019 at 08:16 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page