valve check/2007 fjr - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By rbentnail

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-28-2019, 08:37 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

valve check/2007 fjr

My FJR is coming up on 50,000 bought it last year with 32,000...I have no idea if the valves have ever been looked at so I am planning on this task for winter project...Also plan on CCT upgrade if it isn't a green dot....

What parts o-ring, gaskets ect will I need to replace???

thanks in advance

Dan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-28-2019, 09:50 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

You can do a valve check without replacing any gaskets, valve cover gasket for sure, and the right timing cover gasket can be re-used if removed carefully. CCT will require a gasket.
You need two o-rings for the coolant tube, that's about it.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-02-2019, 06:50 AM
Training wheels fitted!

Valve clearence check.

Just for some info on the valve clearance check. Follow the link to YouTube (TwoWheelObsession) he does the check on the GenIII FJR (which should be almost identical to the GenII). I didn't know if your familiar with doing it, but he is very thorough...(I have an 06 FJR).

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-02-2019, 05:59 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wistrick View Post
My FJR is coming up on 50,000 bought it last year with 32,000...I have no idea if the valves have ever been looked at so I am planning on this task for winter project...Also plan on CCT upgrade if it isn't a green dot....

What parts o-ring, gaskets ect will I need to replace???

thanks in advance

Dan
Hi Dan, welcome to the forum.

Technically RaY is correct but .....

Your bike is 12-13 yrs old. The older they get the more likely they're going to need replacing. Especially if the covers have never been removed before. As this critical piece of info is unknown, if it were me, I'd be buying the valve cover seal and the timing cover gasket.

Also, if it were me, I'd never open that video. It's for a Gen 3. Some critical info is different and if you do it like him you'll screw it up on a Gen 2. Proceed at your own risk.

I'm sending you a private message. Post back here if you don't get it, being a one-post newbie complicates it sometimes.

Now, back to your questions:

In addition to the 2 above items: coolant pipe o-rings, CCT, coolant, spark plugs, throttle cable lube, vacuum port caps. I think that's all that's required. As for "good to have": hose clamps (the OE ones are crap), black cable tie wraps.

Don't be afraid to ask why! There's a thread somewhere where we all listed stuff, we'll see if we can find it.
RaYzerman and 2GENAE like this.

Russ
2007A

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by rbentnail; 10-02-2019 at 06:11 PM.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-02-2019, 08:18 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

With ya Russ, but I've found the valve cover gasket never goes bad (save yer money), but you might tear up the timing cover gasket if you're not careful (it's only $10). I can't watch the vid.

Ray
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-03-2019, 12:13 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaYzerman View Post
With ya Russ, but I've found the valve cover gasket never goes bad (save yer money), but you might tear up the timing cover gasket if you're not careful (it's only $10). I can't watch the vid.
I did in fact have to replace my valve cover seal one time when some dum-bass pinched one of the half moons and it spewed oil. I advice people to spend the money.

Russ
2007A

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-06-2019, 07:27 AM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Thinks guys...I did watch the video and have suggested parts inbound...While this is the first time doing a FJR valve check/adjust its not my first time doing a shim under bucket...Done it twice on a SuperTenere,

thanks again

Dan
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-06-2019, 07:32 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

One other thing, for yoose new guys:

Please consider making or modifying your forum signature to include the bike year and model you own. That way there's never any confusion since different model yrs have different stuff and are disassembled different ways.

To create or edit your sig, hover over the word 'TOOLS' in the black bar near the top of the page. A drop-down menu appears, click on 'USER CP'. Then on the left you will see "EDIT SIGNATURE". Click it, do it and save it.

Adding your location so it shows up under your user name can be helpful, too! This is also done under TOOLS/USER CP. Then click on 'Edit Your Details' on the left.

Russ
2007A

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-06-2019, 09:06 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

If you survived a SuperTen valve check, you're golden!! FJR is much easier.

Ray
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-06-2019, 11:06 AM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbentnail View Post
one other thing, for yoose new guys:

Please consider making or modifying your forum signature to include the bike year and model you own. That way there's never any confusion since different model yrs have different stuff and are disassembled different ways.

To create or edit your sig, hover over the word 'tools' in the black bar near the top of the page. A drop-down menu appears, click on 'user cp'. Then on the left you will see "edit signature". Click it, do it and save it.

Adding your location so it shows up under your user name can be helpful, too! This is also done under tools/user cp. Then click on 'edit your details' on the left.

done!!!

Dan

2007 FJR1300A (ABS)
2004 GL1800 (ABS)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page