Michelin Pilot Road 5 GT - Page 12 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 91Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #111 of 113 (permalink) Old 09-17-2020, 07:44 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbentnail View Post
Give it a rest......
That's it... we're taking away your Rotella T!!!

Two years ago I called and asked the difference between the GT rated tire and the same tire non-GT. I left a message and a guy called me back a couple days later. My bigger question was why the non-GT had a higher weight rating (admittedly only one number... but still...).

The answer he gave was that GT tires have a tendency to heat up and stay heated up.... long hours.... lotsa miles... and generally heavier loaded than other street formats. Other street formats tend to warm up and cool down and never put in the time or distance.

Could've been a salesman for all I know, but it made sense to me. Put a set of Angel GT's on the ST1100 and I believe are still on it. (YMMV)

For the FJR, I just received a set of T31 GT's. I went by watching opinions of others and what riders more my style have found useful. The tires I have on it now are old, trash, and need replacing, but I'm going to sort out my suspension issues at the same time so I don't ruin a new set of tires.

But... truly... the only way is to try a bunch and see what works.
N4HHE likes this.

"The only barrier to knowledge is the belief that you have it."
2008 Yamaha FJR1300AE
2002 Honda ST1100
...fully farkled.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #112 of 113 (permalink) Old 09-18-2020, 01:26 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale I View Post
Two years ago I called and asked the difference between the GT rated tire and the same tire non-GT. I left a message and a guy called me back a couple days later. My bigger question was why the non-GT had a higher weight rating (admittedly only one number... but still...).

The answer he gave was that GT tires have a tendency to heat up and stay heated up.... long hours.... lotsa miles... and generally heavier loaded than other street formats. Other street formats tend to warm up and cool down and never put in the time or distance.
What "GT" tire has a different load rating than non-GT? None I have seen, but that doesn't mean there isn't one. In stock FJR sizes all are 58W front, 73W rear. W is speed grade, the numbers are load grades.

In the automobile world tires are assigned UTQG (Uniform Tire Quality Guide) ratings for wear, traction, and temperature. Heavier tires tend to have a lower temperature grade. The thicker the tire the more internal friction, the hotter it gets. Motorcycle tires do not have a UTQG.

2018 F-150 XLT SuperCab 4x4 2.7L
2016 FJR1300A
2016 Beta 430 RS
2016 Subaru Outback
2013 Tesla Model S 85
2009 Husaberg FE450
1983 Porsche 928S
post #113 of 113 (permalink) Old 09-18-2020, 07:25 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by N4HHE View Post
What "GT" tire has a different load rating than non-GT? None I have seen, but that doesn't mean there isn't one.
I stated in the thread... Pirelli Angel GT. Their A-Spec is supposed to be the touring version and when I was purchasing them I noticed the rear A-Spec was 72W and the non-A-Spec was rated 73W. I called and asked why a lower weight rated tire would be recommended for a heavier application. The response was an ever so slightly different compound hardness and the construction dissipated heat more effectively.

Quote:
Originally Posted by N4HHE View Post
In stock FJR sizes all are 58W front, 73W rear. W is speed grade, the numbers are load grades.
Stated above... it was for a Honda ST1100. Different tire size.

That said, there is no difference between either rating that would put either bike in a parameter that would be, in any way, out of specification for them. I was more intrigued than anything else.

"The only barrier to knowledge is the belief that you have it."
2008 Yamaha FJR1300AE
2002 Honda ST1100
...fully farkled.

Last edited by Dale I; 09-18-2020 at 07:29 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page