Michelin Pilot Road 5 GT - Page 11 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 91Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #101 of 113 (permalink) Old 09-16-2020, 09:02 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

The problem with advice is, you may spend more than you need to, the better test is if you did a real world side by side comparison and tell us if the GT was better than the non-GT and why....

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #102 of 113 (permalink) Old 09-16-2020, 09:57 AM
FJR Top Gun

Yes Ray, personal experience is the best, but we all know not every product is reviewed by every user the same. My brother and I call reviews Best/Worst, because half the people will say it's the best ...pick one ....tire, helmet, gloves, boots, jacket, rain suit etc they have ever used, and half the people will say it's the worst tire, helmet, gloves, boots, jacket, rain suit, they have ever used. One star or 5 stars, every product gets both ratings. Who do you believe?

One has to start somewhere, and for me the best start is a manufacturer's recommendation, not an anonymous internet reviewers. I dont know how he rides, what modifications he has made, how he takes care of his tire pressures, what his road conditions are like or if he even rides at all or very much. Does he ride 2 up loaded on interstates, in all kinds of weather,, or is he a weekend warrior hitting the same local roads he feels comfortable on, only on sunny 80 degree weekends, never really going anywhere?

The manufacturer designs and builds the product to certain criteria they deem to be safe with regards to expected usage on certain vehicles, and makes recommendations based on that criteria. Start there IMO. If the product doesnt suit you for some reason, then try something else.

I have tried several sets of 4 GTs on my FJR, now I am trying a set of the new 5 GTs as per Michelins recommendation. If the 5 GTs dont suit me, I will return to the 4GTs or maybe something else, gaining personal experience along the way. But I dont expect my experience to be the same as everyone else's. Rarely is.
N4HHE likes this.

SW Ohio
2018 Yamaha FJR 1300A
2014 Honda CB1100 DLX

It doesn't matter what I ride, where I ride, how fast I ride, or how far I ride... it only matters THAT I RIDE...EVERY DAY. "Ferret"

Last edited by the Ferret; 09-16-2020 at 10:02 AM.
post #103 of 113 (permalink) Old 09-16-2020, 05:46 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I take all those user reviews into consideration, as they are likely to tell you it wore funny or skipped out on me or whatever. As for GT's that's up to you if you want to spend the money. Did the FJR come with GT tires on it? Did you compare a non-GT to any of your GT's under the same conditions? Do you take the manufacturer's recommendation to use 36 psi on the front tire pressure? Are there errors in the service manual? Are there better practices than what's recommended? You get what I mean...... gather data from many sources and then make a more informed decision, and don't be afraid to try something new.

Your tires are your preference based on your experience and your riding style, and all reviews are just data points. I tend to discount those who say greatest because it lasted longest, as I don't want that, I want a blend of good grip and reasonable mileage. What anyone might like as a tire, I may not use.
N4HHE likes this.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow

post #104 of 113 (permalink) Old 09-16-2020, 10:50 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

And furthermore there is no specification for "GT". GT is anything Michelin says it is. Is anything Bridgestone says it is. Pirelli says GT is something totally different (Angel ST vs Angel GT).
the Ferret likes this.

2018 F-150 XLT SuperCab 4x4 2.7L
2016 FJR1300A
2016 Beta 430 RS
2016 Subaru Outback
2013 Tesla Model S 85
2009 Husaberg FE450
1983 Porsche 928S
post #105 of 113 (permalink) Old 09-17-2020, 03:10 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haynes View Post
Yikes!🤯

Haynes
Please--- don't go there.

Russ
2007A

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #106 of 113 (permalink) Old 09-17-2020, 08:16 AM
FJR Top Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by N4HHE View Post
And furthermore there is no specification for "GT". GT is anything Michelin says it is. Is anything Bridgestone says it is. Pirelli says GT is something totally different (Angel ST vs Angel GT).
There has to be some difference between a Road 5 and a Road 5 GT (or a PR4 and a PR4GT) or else why make two different lines of tires and why recommend one for a particular motorcycle over the other?

It really doesn't matter, what the name is. They could call it a Michelin Striped Ape, and if Michelin said for your 670 pound (1050 pounds 2 up with luggage) 145 hp sport-tourer ridden under normal conditions for this machine we recommend the Michelin Striped Ape, that's what I would be running right now. It just happens Michelin calls it a GT.

SW Ohio
2018 Yamaha FJR 1300A
2014 Honda CB1100 DLX

It doesn't matter what I ride, where I ride, how fast I ride, or how far I ride... it only matters THAT I RIDE...EVERY DAY. "Ferret"

Last edited by the Ferret; 09-17-2020 at 09:04 AM.
post #107 of 113 (permalink) Old 09-17-2020, 12:10 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

The GT versions have stiffer side walls.
RaYzerman likes this.
post #108 of 113 (permalink) Old 09-17-2020, 01:36 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Ferret View Post
There has to be some difference between a Road 5 and a Road 5 GT (or a PR4 and a PR4GT) or else why make two different lines of tires and why recommend one for a particular motorcycle over the other?
Of course there is a difference. But there is also a difference between what Michelin does between R5 and R5GT and what Bridgestone does between T31 and T31 GT. By golly if a fat pig FJR must have "GT" then why is there no standard for what this is?

The load and speed ratings are the same 58W and 73W. So there is no safety issue.

You make a GT variant of a tire so as to reuse all the marketing for the named product. Otherwise you have to explain why one needs a GT5 instead of a Road 5. Consumer expects different tread patterns so you have to go do that too. Or you make a GT variant of an R5, reuse the tread, reuse the marketing.

Why recommend one for a particular motorcycle over the other? Because if you offer Dodge and Plymouth you won't sell twice as many cars but you will sell more than if just Dodge or Plymouth. You will sell more cars if you offer more colors. Rudimentary marketing teaches to never let consumer think two products only differ in flavor or color unless it is only flavor or color.

You make a stiffer tire because some people like a stiffer tire not because "heavy sport tourer requires". But you don't say "you may like this better than the other", you authoritatively weakly state, "This is the tire we recommend for heavy sport tourers."

The difference between an R5 and a PR4 is much greater than the difference between an R5 and R5GT or PR4 and PR4GT. So why is this difference tolerated? Michelin authoritatively (weakly) states only the R5GT is the tire recommended for the FJR. But the PR4GT used to be that tire.

Quote:
It really doesn't matter, what the name is. They could call it a Michelin Striped Ape, and if Michelin said for your 670 pound (1050 pounds 2 up with luggage) 145 hp sport-tourer ridden under normal conditions for this machine we recommend the Michelin Striped Ape, that's what I would be running right now. It just happens Michelin calls it a GT.
You missed the point. Michelin calls something a GT. Others call something different a GT but both claim GT is what you need. How can this be unless both are correct and both are wrong?

Don't forget, Brawndo Has Electrolytes. It's Got What Plants Crave.

2018 F-150 XLT SuperCab 4x4 2.7L
2016 FJR1300A
2016 Beta 430 RS
2016 Subaru Outback
2013 Tesla Model S 85
2009 Husaberg FE450
1983 Porsche 928S
post #109 of 113 (permalink) Old 09-17-2020, 02:48 PM
FJR Top Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by N4HHE View Post

You missed the point. Michelin calls something a GT. Others call something different a GT but both claim GT is what you need. How can this be unless both are correct and both are wrong?
yea I don't think I missed the point at all..... I just don't get anally fixated on names. Like I said, call it what they want. If Michelin or Bridgestone or Pirelli thinks we want a premium tire called a GT, then let them name their premium tires a GT. I don't care if Michelin's GT meet the same exact specs as Bridgestone's GT or Pirelli's GT. Don''t care. All I care about is if it's a good tire for my motorcycle. If Michelin said we recommend a PR4 (with no GT) for the FJR I'd probably be on PR4's (with no GT). If Bridgestone recommended use the T 31 GT I would choose that if I wanted a Bridgestone, and if Pirelli recommended their Angel GT for my motorcycle I would use that, but my first choice would be based on the manufacturer's recommendation.

I figure they are tire engineers, they designed tires, they take into account load ratings, sidewall strength, tread pattern, grip coefficient, water dispersion, longevity, and rubber to silicone content and a dozen other things before making a tire, then use that criteria when recommending a tire for my motorcycle according to the specs on the motorcycle. They certainly know more about tires than I ever will, and I will trust them until proven differently. They haven't failed me yet.

SW Ohio
2018 Yamaha FJR 1300A
2014 Honda CB1100 DLX

post #110 of 113 (permalink) Old 09-17-2020, 05:18 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Everybody calm down now. Looks like we're going down the same old path yet again.

Give it a rest......

Russ
2007A

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page