Head Bearings - Page 3 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 06:24 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

And that is why my ZRX1200 is sitting in the gayrage with no carbs waiting in line to get a FI conversion done.After that I will probably start building a new streetable little power plant for it.

I think btl68 is gonna like the FJR.
zrexrich likes this.

Real Name - Bobby
2001 ZRX1200
2008 ZX14
2015 FJR1300A
2015 Vulcan S (Wife)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 07:36 PM
FJR Top Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by FjrjrF View Post
I guess I'm not understanding it. I still have the OE head bearings on my '14. Yep If I don't have my hands on the bars when I decel at those speeds, there was a wobble. This year I re-torqued the head bearings and all is fine. Yes, I understand everyone's situation is different and didn't have the luck I did with re-torquing them. But, If I never took my hands off the bars during deceleration, there was no noticeable wobble felt. When I lifted my hands, yes, wobble, hands back on, no detectable wobble. So that is my confusion.

I had gone to an Opthamologist recently and told him when I look quickly to the far-extreme right I get a split second of flash just on the perimeter on my right eye. He closely looked at my retina, he saw no issues except age related, and told me..... "quit doing that" enuff said.
Yes, supposedly no wobble with hands-on, until you have good tapered bearings. Then you can marvel how the wobble forces are no longer working against your hands.

I know of an 86,000 mile 2014 with OE ball bearings that didnít wobble at about 50,000, last time I rode it. Miracles happen.

As for your eyes there is nothing else that can be done. But as for wobble the solution is inexpensive in parts, expensive in labor.

2018 F-150 XLT SuperCab 4x4 2.7L
2016 FJR1300A
2016 Beta 430 RS
2016 Subaru Outback
2013 Tesla Model S 85
2009 Husaberg FE450
1983 Porsche 928S
post #23 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 09:41 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FjrjrF View Post
I guess I'm not understanding it. I still have the OE head bearings on my '14. Yep If I don't have my hands on the bars when I decel at those speeds, there was a wobble. This year I re-torqued the head bearings and all is fine. Yes, I understand everyone's situation is different and didn't have the luck I did with re-torquing them. But, If I never took my hands off the bars during deceleration, there was no noticeable wobble felt. When I lifted my hands, yes, wobble, hands back on, no detectable wobble. So that is my confusion.

I had gone to an Opthamologist recently and told him when I look quickly to the far-extreme right I get a split second of flash just on the perimeter on my right eye. He closely looked at my retina, he saw no issues except age related, and told me..... "quit doing that" enuff said.
But....

I envision the wobble is what made my forks leak two different times. Holding the bars stops them from moving but the lower forks and wheel still want to, basically flexing the fork tubes and wearing parts out. Maybe this also contributes to some folks fork bushings wearing out so quickly when others do not.

I really have no idea that's true or not. I just kow that a wobbling front end is not normal and should be remedied.

Russ
2007A

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #24 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 10:21 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

The tiny forces involved with the front end wobble are nothing compared to what the forks experience from normal riding actions like braking, turning, hitting bumbs, or even you just plopping down on the bike. They are not going to cause any noticeable increase in the wear to your fork parts.
N4HHE likes this.
post #25 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 06:50 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

The wear on fork bushings is really miniscule... mostly the Teflon coating wears off in a linear direction (envision forks going fore/aft, wear is in line with that), and at around 30k is noticeable... changed many. The most wear comes from aggressive riders, while some get virtually no wear at all. They are constantly lubed with oil, in fact submerged in it at all times.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
post #26 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 02:10 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Since I did my head bearings the cave man way with punch and hammer I decided to buy a couple extra tools since I had to do an old friends bike and BTL68 will probably do his this winter. I bought the bearing driver that goes over the stem, steering stem nut socket a 2 sockets from Autozone for $10 each (1 5/ along with 1/2 in threaded rod with nuts and washers to use as a bearing press. Hammer the top race in with the socket then tap the bottom in far enuf to stay then use the threaded rod, washers, nuts and sockets as a press. Got the bottom race to press almost all the way in then a couple minutes of punch/hammer to bottom it out.
Life is much easier now

Real Name - Bobby
2001 ZRX1200
2008 ZX14
2015 FJR1300A
2015 Vulcan S (Wife)
post #27 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 01:38 AM
FJR Top Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaYzerman View Post
The wear on fork bushings is really miniscule... mostly the Teflon coating wears off in a linear direction (envision forks going fore/aft, wear is in line with that), and at around 30k is noticeable... changed many. The most wear comes from aggressive riders, while some get virtually no wear at all. They are constantly lubed with oil, in fact submerged in it at all times.
When I did my steering stem bearings at ~25k miles I marked the fork tube caps so as to put them back exactly the way they were. Have since thought about rotating the fork tubes 90į on the chance the fork bushings would also rotate for longer life before replacement.
passx likes this.

2018 F-150 XLT SuperCab 4x4 2.7L
2016 FJR1300A
2016 Beta 430 RS
2016 Subaru Outback
2013 Tesla Model S 85
2009 Husaberg FE450
1983 Porsche 928S
post #28 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 10:32 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I went to the local vintage bike races this past weekend at Gingerman raceway in Michigan and i’ll say that we took backroads with a lot of tight & fast corners and before the change to tapered bearings my 2014a would wobble & weave when pressed in a corner, I was truly disappointed in the loose handling when it was new. Since the tapered bearings my bike is now very tight and precise in corners no matter how hard you press it, very happy with it, no wobbles at all !
smokamoto, N4HHE and ReRose like this.

Steve P
Red 2014A, the fastest color !
Ride more,, worry less !

Last edited by passx; 08-09-2019 at 10:34 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page