Speedbleeder install, and bleeding the brakes - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 12:21 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Speedbleeder install, and bleeding the brakes

Im about to install speedbleeders, and flush the fluid in both the brakes & clutch..Any tips/tricks/procedures I need to know before I start?

2017 Yamaha FJR1300ES
1953 Vincent C Rapide

Certified JB Welder
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 12:56 PM
red
Farkle Trainee

Speedbleeder install, and bleeding the brakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Collings View Post
Im about to install speedbleeders, and flush the fluid in both the brakes & clutch..Any tips/tricks/procedures I need to know before I start?
Bob,
Not much. Put the catch tube on the end of the bleeder, to avoid spillage. It's very easy to pump the reservoir dry, so watch the fluid level there as you work. The bleeder works when only a half-turn loose, not a lot. I wrap a twist of toilet tissue around the bleeder, and secure it there with a twisty-tie, to avoid any drips while working. Best money I ever spent, except maybe for the TPMS.
philharmonic likes this.

Cheers,
Red
2008 FJR1300A
- Pirelli Angel GT (Spec A) tires, RDL seat, TPMS, GPS digital speedometer (US$25.00).
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 03:11 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Garage
....the aluminum of the clutch PUSH LEVER COMP 5JW-16381-00-00 is very easily stripped..apparently its difficult to discern the difference in resistance between the coated threads of the speedbleeder and over-tightening..$115.00 for the new part, or I can remove it and repair with a helicoil...M8?

2017 Yamaha FJR1300ES
1953 Vincent C Rapide

Certified JB Welder

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 10:41 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Collings View Post
....the aluminum of the clutch “PUSH LEVER COMP 5JW-16381-00-00” is very easily stripped..apparently it’s difficult to discern the difference in resistance between the coated threads of the speedbleeder and over-tightening..$115.00 for the new part, or I can remove it and repair with a helicoil...M8?
Are you saying you stripped it out?

Russ
2007A

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by rbentnail; 04-08-2019 at 10:44 AM.
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 11:38 AM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Sounds like it looking at the time of the first post and the second . Funny I am about to install speed bleeder on my FJR also. Very timely thread. I use them on all my other bikes and they make things easy. Except if you strip out the threads.

2013 FJR1300 and other bikes
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 12:01 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

The thread coating on the Speedbleeders requires a certain amount of effort to initially install, and one only needs to tighten it until the Speedbleeder bottoms out, which is how it seals. If you're not sure it's bottomed out, give the lever a squeeze and no fluid should come out the bleeder if bottomed.
Sete Bond likes this.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer, 2008 WR450F, 2006 FJR Project
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 12:30 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Garage
I have used Speed Bleeders for years and they work well. I recently got an inline bleeder from Motion Pro (https://www.motionpro.com/product/08-0143). It costs about the same as one speed bleeder. I will try to use it for the first time tonight on a friend's bike.
philharmonic and HFJeff like this.

Kevin
The Outpost, Silver City, Montana
Team Pterodactyl
2018 Ural Gear Up, 2017 R1200GSA
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 12:48 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbentnail View Post
Are you saying you stripped it out?
Yes..its really hard to tell when it bottoms out. Thanks to a tip from raYzerman I bought one off ebay this morning. I thought about helicoiling it, but helicoils leak fluid under the slightest pressure..and a new one from Yamaha is $220.00 cdn, and back ordered 4-6 months..When I get the old one out Im going to try repairing it with a Timesert, which doesnt leak https://www.timesert.com/

2017 Yamaha FJR1300ES
1953 Vincent C Rapide

Certified JB Welder
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 02:31 PM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
When you mentioned helicoil I thought no use a Timesert then you answered my thought. Should work. I would still put a dab of locktite blue(red may be over kill) on the timesert.

Let us know how it goes.
4-6-months, Glad you found one on eBay, otherwise no riding for you. Its amazing how the supply chain has changed. In the old days the dealer had to stock a lot more due to the shipping time from Japan. I can still buy NOS stock for my 70's bikes that have been sitting on shelves all these years.

post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 02:36 PM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pterodactyl View Post
I have used Speed Bleeders for years and they work well. I recently got an inline bleeder from Motion Pro (https://www.motionpro.com/product/08-0143). It costs about the same as one speed bleeder. I will try to use it for the first time tonight on a friend's bike.
Let us know how it works. You still may get some air pulled in from the stock bleeder creating a bubble which could look like you still have air in the system. I would wrap the stock bleeder threads with a bit of teflon tape to help prevent that from happening.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page