Speedbleeder install, and bleeding the brakes - Page 2 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 03:43 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cra-z1 View Post
When you mentioned helicoil I thought no use a Timesert then you answered my thought. Should work. I would still put a dab of locktite blue(red may be over kill) on the timesert.

Let us know how it goes.
4-6-months, Glad you found one on eBay, otherwise no riding for you. Its amazing how the supply chain has changed. In the old days the dealer had to stock a lot more due to the shipping time from Japan. I can still buy NOS stock for my 70's bikes that have been sitting on shelves all these years.
I have since been told that a Timesert cannot be installed into a blind hole..and I dont know enough to differ. I wonder if a helicoil liberally slathered in jb weld would work..
Some years ago I had a repair done on my other bike, the fine threads in one of the alloy castings had stripped. We took a piece of brass rod, turned up some coarse threads on the outside, drilled it lengthwise and tapped some fine threads on the inside to provide the fine adjustment the cover required. We then tapped the cover, inserted the insert with red loctite to retain it. I wonder if a skilled machinist could affect a similar repair to the clutch slave..

2017 Yamaha FJR1300ES
1953 Vincent C Rapide

Certified JB Welder
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 08:32 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

You could go to the local CanTire and get a larger thread bleeder screw, get a blind hole tap..... maybe Speedbleeder would have a larger one.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer, 2008 WR450F, 2006 FJR Project
post #13 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 09:04 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaYzerman View Post
You could go to the local CanTire and get a larger thread bleeder screw, get a blind hole tap..... maybe Speedbleeder would have a larger one.
Ill play with the existing unit once its off the bike and the one from eBay is successfully installed. These things are rare, none available from Yamaha for 4-6 months...$200.00 cdn.

2017 Yamaha FJR1300ES
1953 Vincent C Rapide

Certified JB Welder

post #14 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 12:22 AM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
It can be done but you do need enough depth. That would be the only drawback. Do a little research or call them. The one thing you would need to worry about is damaging the female taper. A time sert would probably work because you seal against the taper and not the threads. I just prefer timesert.

2013 FJR1300 and other bikes
post #15 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 07:45 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pterodactyl View Post
I have used Speed Bleeders for years and they work well. I recently got an inline bleeder from Motion Pro (https://www.motionpro.com/product/08-0143). It costs about the same as one speed bleeder. I will try to use it for the first time tonight on a friend's bike.
Wow, that looks great. I will get one, just for when I bleed friends cars that don't have speed bleeders. Please post about it after you use it.

07 FJR 48,000 miles 03 Yamaha FJR1300
1986 Yamaha FZX700 1977 Kawasaki KX250 1978? Yamaha TY250 1979 Yamaha YZ250 1970 850 Moto Guzzi 1974? Honda XL 100 1978? Yamaha XT500 1975 Yamaha RD350B 1964 Bridgestone 90S
post #16 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 08:18 AM
FJR Top Gun

Bob, one of the things I do is put a wrap or two of Teflon tape on the threads before installing them as they seem to leak around the threads if not. At least that’s been my experience. I cut a piece of tape off and then cut it down the middle, you just need enough to overlap the ends of the tape a bit.

Steve P
Red 2014A, the fastest color !
Ride more,, worry less !

Last edited by passx; 04-09-2019 at 08:20 AM.
post #17 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 09:45 AM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by passx View Post
Bob, one of the things I do is put a wrap or two of Teflon tape on the threads before installing them as they seem to leak around the threads if not. At least thats been my experience. I cut a piece of tape off and then cut it down the middle, you just need enough to overlap the ends of the tape a bit.
I thought the purpose of the thread sealant was to prevent air leakage past the threads. When the replacement slave arrives, Im going to finger tighten a yamaha bleed screw in, mark the exposed threads to show how far in it was threaded, then compare that to a speedbleeder to confirm how much of the sealed threads get screwed in.
cra-z1 likes this.

2017 Yamaha FJR1300ES
1953 Vincent C Rapide

Certified JB Welder
post #18 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 09:58 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Sorry for your troubles Bob, but if it helps you're not alone. Last fall I put a set of speedbleeders on my F150 as I have always done for all our 4-wheeled vehicles. The one I installed front left was particularly difficult to screw in, I was afraid I had messed something up b/c when I replaced the fluid it spewed out from that one. I had to really grunt it down to get it to seat. I don't think it was a thread problem, seemed to me at the time to be more of an old sealant thing. I vowed then when I install any more I would clean the factory sealant off and apply my own.

Russ
2007A

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #19 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 10:21 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Personal Opinion (and free, so you already know the comments about both of those):

Speed bleeders are still a reach-stretch issue where you have to pump the breaks while using the speed bleeders. I like the Mighty-Vac solutions that make it a 1-person, everything-at-the-bleeder task. Get vacuum going, open the bleeder, flush as much as you want from the reservoir, close the bleeder. You can then use it on all your vehicles where even stretching won't work so you still need a helper if using speed bleeders.

Ridden wet. Put up hard.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #20 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 10:31 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Ha, never had a helper yet. Remember Speedbleeders have an auto shut-off so no reachin and stretchin to multitask. I'm in the other camp, we often have issues with Mighty-Vacs at tech days, but half of that is air leakage around the bleeder threads no matter what you're using.
cra-z1 likes this.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer, 2008 WR450F, 2006 FJR Project

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in