• 1 Post By rbentnail
  • 1 Post By 2GENAE
  • 2 Post By rbentnail

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-30-2013, 07:46 AM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Red face 2012 FJR Mirror Re-Install

Hello folks,

I took my mirrors off to store my FJR in my basement and now I am getting it ready for the riding season. I go to put the mirrors back on and guess what I can't remember how to reverse the process. I have 6 washers and nut and no matter how I do it the won't work as before. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-30-2013, 11:23 AM
Farkle Trainee

If you look at the washers closely you will see they are concaved/spring washers. IIRC you need to stack them half one way and the other the opposite, which creates the tension at the mirror base..I hope this makes sense.

There is no better therapy than a ride.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-12-2015, 12:38 PM
Training wheels fitted!

Garage
Need clarification, please!

I just moved from California to Tennessee and the movers removed my right mirror and did not reinstall it properly. Petey says to stack them a certain way. This could be a really dumb question, but: how do I stack them exactly? 3 curved up on top of 3 curved down? I want to make sure before I tighten it down, because the movers nearly stripped the nut. Thanks for the help!

2014 Honda crf230f, 2010 Yamaha FJR1300, 2001 Yamaha Midnight Star 1600, 2000 Yamaha VStar 650, 1995 Honda NightHawk, 1985 Yamaha Seca 650, 1980 Honda CB???, 197? Yamaha Enduro 125, 1975 Honda XR75, 1971 minibike w/ a lawnmower engine
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-13-2015, 11:24 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

First thing you have to do is

Make sure the 3 little ball bearings are still in place. Also make sure you have the metal plate that goes in there.

Removing the mirror as you guys describe allows the detent balls to fall out. No matter how you arrange the Belleville washers underneath, your mirror will never stay in place without the detent balls. Unfortunately I cannot refer you to a parts diagram as I have never found one that shows the detent balls nd plate.

Now to the question at hand. When installing the Belleville washers, the first one goes on concave down. The next one goes on concave up. The two of them together will form a UFO shape. See? Then assemble the next two just like that and install. Repeat two more times. That's it!
2GENAE likes this.

Russ
2007A

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-13-2015, 11:35 AM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
why did you take them off? They can fold forwards so they don't stick out at all.

2012 Yamaha FJR1300A (Gen II) "Big Blue"
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-30-2015, 03:15 PM
Training wheels fitted!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbonesullivan View Post
why did you take them off? They can fold forwards so they don't stick out at all.
Ugh! Don't get me started. The movers took it off without asking me. I didn't find out until we unloaded the bike in Tennessee. All they had to do was ask me, and I would've shown them how to safely move the mirror forward.

Thanks, rbentnail! That's what I needed to know!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-10-2020, 10:57 AM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbentnail View Post
First thing you have to do is

Make sure the 3 little ball bearings are still in place. Also make sure you have the metal plate that goes in there.

Removing the mirror as you guys describe allows the detent balls to fall out. No matter how you arrange the Belleville washers underneath, your mirror will never stay in place without the detent balls. Unfortunately I cannot refer you to a parts diagram as I have never found one that shows the detent balls nd plate.

Now to the question at hand. When installing the Belleville washers, the first one goes on concave down. The next one goes on concave up. The two of them together will form a UFO shape. See? Then assemble the next two just like that and install. Repeat two more times. That's it!
Old thread but glad I found it. I dropped my bike in the yard DUH broke my right hand mirror off at the end. When I removed the acorn nut all those washes fell out. I read my FSM and looked at the diagram on Parts Shark where I ordered two new matching 2008 AE mirrors and they don't show the washers, 3 ball bearings and shoulder bolt. I followed Rbentnails instructions this morning ( glad the ball bearings stayed in the plate)............my repaired mirror works again.

Thanks
Louis
Bill Lumberg likes this.

1986 FJ 1200
2008 FJR 1300AE
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-10-2020, 02:30 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Sweet! Glad it worked out for you.
Bill Lumberg and 2GENAE like this.

Russ
2007A

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-10-2020, 04:00 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbentnail View Post
Sweet! Glad it worked out for you.

Me too Russ, it was getting frustrating after several times of installing those 8 washers. There is nothing about washers in FSM or the parts diagram I could find on Parts Shark where I ordered new mirrors from Sat.
Louis

1986 FJ 1200
2008 FJR 1300AE

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page