Which steering stem wrench is this? - Page 6 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 30Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #51 of 69 (permalink) Old 03-21-2018, 05:34 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

My old dad explained it to me perfectly about 50 years ago. With the front of the bike jacked up until the front wheel is off the ground, tighten the steering stem nut until there is no play in the bearings, but leave it loose enough that the steering will fall from side to side under it's own weight.

To check for play in the bearings, grasp the fork legs down by the axle, and pull/push vigorously, you will feel clunking if the bearings are too loose. To check for damaged bearings, hold the handle bars and slowly turn the steering from side to side, you will feel uneven movement and graunching if there is any wear or damage.

There is nothing worse than steering head bearings that are too tight. When riding in a straight line, the bike will start a slow weave that you will find impossible to stop.
passx, FjrjrF, N4HHE and 1 others like this.

FJR Models owned from new, 2001, 2003, 2006, 2009, 2011, 2014.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 69 (permalink) Old 07-21-2020, 08:38 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Glad I read this after looking at the Haynes manual. MY 16ES started to wobble between 35 and 50 mph with hands very loose on bars. I'll try re-torque and see if it helps. Replacing bearings is out of my comfort range .Going to get the socket instead of the wrench. Don't understand all the math . My simple mind figures the torque wrench at 90 deg to the offset wrench it gives equal force to both sides of the fastener .The bolt would not know the difference compared to a socket placed on top . Going with that. Not debating wrench vs socket ,just appreciate all the input so I can learn to work on the bike myself .

2016 ES. in Ct.
post #53 of 69 (permalink) Old 07-21-2020, 09:06 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacon77 View Post
Don't understand all the math . My simple mind figures the torque wrench at 90 deg to the offset wrench it gives equal force to both sides of the fastener .The bolt would not know the difference compared to a socket placed on top . Going with that. Not debating wrench vs socket ,just appreciate all the input so I can learn to work on the bike myself .
There is no math. You are never to apply side forces to bolts, side forces cause wrenches and sockets to slip and strip bolt heads. With no side force it makes no difference spanner or socket. No difference the angle of spanner.

Simply use a 3” or 6” socket extension and you can not apply side force to the bolt.

I have the spanner but would rather have the socket. Spanner works perfectly fine for about half the cost.

But totally honest: if I didn’t have either I wouldn’t hesitate to use a large pair of slipjoint pliers and guess.

Wish you luck on your wobble. Less than 1 in 10 have claimed success tightening the ball bearings after the wobble appears. Your best bet is to tighten before wobble.

2018 F-150 XLT SuperCab 4x4 2.7L
2016 FJR1300A
2016 Beta 430 RS
2016 Subaru Outback
2013 Tesla Model S 85
2009 Husaberg FE450
1983 Porsche 928S

post #54 of 69 (permalink) Old 07-21-2020, 10:36 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie View Post
My old dad explained it to me perfectly about 50 years ago. With the front of the bike jacked up until the front wheel is off the ground, tighten the steering stem nut until there is no play in the bearings, but leave it loose enough that the steering will fall from side to side under it's own weight.

...and that's the way I've done it on my FJR and previous bikes for years.

I'm aware of the FSM procedure but have just done it this way and then re-check it a few hundred miles later.
I don't know if I ever had the mid-speed decel wobble before or after the bearing install (I guess I just keep my hands on the bars).

Mr. BR
post #55 of 69 (permalink) Old 07-22-2020, 08:24 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I have both and before getting the crenelated socket, I had no issues with the spanner. I cook BBQ better with a temperature probe than when eyeballing it. Same with using real torque wrenches instead of seat-of-the-pants guess work.

Ridden wet. Put up hard.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #56 of 69 (permalink) Old 07-22-2020, 09:18 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. BR View Post
...and that's the way I've done it on my FJR and previous bikes for years.

I'm aware of the FSM procedure but have just done it this way and then re-check it a few hundred miles later.
I don't know if I ever had the mid-speed decel wobble before or after the bearing install (I guess I just keep my hands on the bars).

Mr. BR
I think it a good idea to seat everything with that higher torque (37) back it off, then retorque... but 13 isn't enough. It will let forks fall free, but... it's imprecise... may have to do it again later.

If you go back to older bikes' FSM's, one needs a little drag, some even gave a pull-scale recommendation. Others have torque recommendations at 16-18 ft. lbs.

So, in my opinion, Yammy missed the mark a little bit, a little snugger than 13 would keep 99% of us happy. Most definitely I'd retorque at the first service on a new FJR, or even 200 miles in... seems the vast majority finds them loose/wobbles. We don't want to go too long with loose ball bearings, they get damaged.
justacrossthehill likes this.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
post #57 of 69 (permalink) Old 07-22-2020, 02:55 PM
Farkle Trainee

I had the wobble on my new 2019 FJR at 1,000 miles. Torqued up the steering head bearings to 16nm using the castellated socket. Wobbles totally gone and you can take hands off the bars for a second or two and it stays steady.
post #58 of 69 (permalink) Old 07-22-2020, 04:48 PM
Farkle Trainee

I have both the socket and what the OP has posted. I used the socket to seat the bearings then the OP tool to set at 17 ft lbs then put the socket on and the tq wrench did the click. Guess when I check them later I will tq with the socket 1st then see if the wrench turns it more.

Real Name - Bobby
2001 ZRX1200
2008 ZX14
2015 FJR1300A
2015 Vulcan S (Wife)
post #59 of 69 (permalink) Old 07-22-2020, 07:50 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjrlee View Post
I had the wobble on my new 2019 FJR at 1,000 miles. Torqued up the steering head bearings to 16nm using the castellated socket. Wobbles totally gone and you can take hands off the bars for a second or two and it stays steady.
Yes, if you catch it early you stand a chance of remedying the problem with simple bearing preload.

As to the proper preload/torque I find there is about 1/4 turn at the designated 13 lbf-ft before 14. So it is really hard to reproduce the same thing twice. That is why I say if you don’t have the tool then guess with slipjoint pliers.

If too tight you will not like the steering at 60+ MPH. Will be constantly making corrections, over corrections. Hard to ride straight. BTDT.
ReRose likes this.

2018 F-150 XLT SuperCab 4x4 2.7L
2016 FJR1300A
2016 Beta 430 RS
2016 Subaru Outback
2013 Tesla Model S 85
2009 Husaberg FE450
1983 Porsche 928S
post #60 of 69 (permalink) Old 07-25-2020, 10:09 AM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Having trouble getting the socket. Emailed a couple sites as the did not specify and don't want to buy the incorrect one. No reply from either site. Is the YU-33975 wrench good for all years?Mine is a 16ES. N4HHE I'm just hoping torquing takes care of it but won't be suprised if it does not. Picking up a 36mm socket today .

2016 ES. in Ct.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page