Which steering stem wrench is this? - Page 5 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 51 (permalink) Old 03-19-2018, 11:56 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

And the big elephant in the living room: when was the last time your torque wrench calibrated?

2013 FJR1300A
1984 GPz750
Series III fairing removal:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 51 (permalink) Old 03-20-2018, 02:56 AM
Farkle Trainee

N4HHE,

Theoretical you are right about the lateral force. When you apply a force at the end of a wrench, this force does two things. It applies a moment (arm x force) and a lateral force to the socket/nut/bolt equal to your applied force but in opposite direction. This force will be lower with a longer wrench and higher with a shorter wrench for one particular moment. The lateral (radial force to the threads) force will only cause some friction in the threads reducing the moment slightly. This must not be mixed with the friction caused by the axial force in the threads. The example below has nothing to do with the threads itself, it would also be the same turning a shaft in a slide bearing.
An example: Moment 30 Nm, wrench length 0.5m. Nut/bolt diameter 0.025m (25mm), frictional coefficient 0.15.

Lateral (radial) force = 30Nm/0.5m = 60N. Frictional force (or tangential force) in nut/bolt= 60Nx0.15 = 9 N.
Reduced moment caused by friction = 9N x 0.0125m=0.113 Nm. (0.0125m is radius of nut/bolt threads)

In other words, this can fully be ignored. To ensure a correct moment, I agree with the previous post, what about the calibration of the torque wrench?.

Roger
2016 FJR AE (ES)

Last edited by rogerf; 03-20-2018 at 03:58 AM.
post #43 of 51 (permalink) Old 03-20-2018, 09:53 AM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

I just got it actually, but it's not the most expensive.

Hiatus FJR-us

post #44 of 51 (permalink) Old 03-20-2018, 10:43 AM
FJR Top Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerf View Post
N4HHE,

Theoretical you are right about the lateral force. When you apply a force at the end of a wrench, this force does two things. It applies a moment (arm x force) and a lateral force to the socket/nut/bolt equal to your applied force but in opposite direction. This force will be lower with a longer wrench and higher with a shorter wrench for one particular moment. The lateral (radial force to the threads) force will only cause some friction in the threads reducing the moment slightly.
That is true only if the handle and the nut are in the same plane. In the real world the socket offsets handle and nut resulting in a twist to lift one side of the socket off the nut which usually mars the nut in the process.

Calibration? I use a 45 year old Craftsman beam torque wrench! +-100, pretty hard to read closer than 5.

2018 F-150 XLT SuperCab 4x4 2.7L
2016 FJR1300A
2016 Beta 430 RS
2016 Subaru Outback
2013 Tesla Model S 85
2009 Husaberg FE450
1983 Porsche 928S
post #45 of 51 (permalink) Old 03-20-2018, 11:31 AM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel S. View Post
why not get the socket and be done with it ?
the socket is super easy to use, don't need much clearance to use.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditch View Post
Because the socket is $44 and the socket is $20, you can call me cheap but I've dropped 15K on my FJR this year and I'm looking for deals.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditch View Post
I bit the bullet and bought a socket, my sincere apologies to @Bernie , that spanner is indeed piece of garbage. I got this one instead of the most expensive one, looks hand made by the seller. I'll let you guys know tomorrow how it works out.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Steering-St...JT-rH8&vxp=mtr
LOL, told you the socket was the way to fly,

16ES
post #46 of 51 (permalink) Old 03-20-2018, 11:35 AM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel S. View Post
LOL, told you the socket was the way to fly,
Live and learn.
Joel S. likes this.

Hiatus FJR-us
post #47 of 51 (permalink) Old 03-20-2018, 05:54 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Just re-did it, the difference between one person with the spanner and two with the socket is night and day. We also had his torque wrench for reference. Overall I'd say the screwy angles and forces involved with the spanner do lead me to believe there might be something to my theory that the FJR's steering head issues are related to that bullshit spanner they tell you to use. Personally I'd say the spanner tightens too much, but then again this is the same guy that insisted on using the spanner so I'm just some dude with an opinion.

One thing is for sure, @N4HHE was spot on about Brian's videos and I won't be referencing his tutorials for important stuff like that anymore.

Hiatus FJR-us

Last edited by Ditch; 03-20-2018 at 05:56 PM.
post #48 of 51 (permalink) Old 03-20-2018, 09:38 PM
Training wheels fitted!

if the distance from the star to the square for the torque wrench changes, then the torque value most definitely changes. it is all about mechanical advantage.
post #49 of 51 (permalink) Old 03-20-2018, 10:31 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkndwanderer View Post
if the distance from the star to the square for the torque wrench changes, then the torque value most definitely changes. it is all about mechanical advantage.
That's what I though and still do but there's too much math here to dispute it so I did what they said to.
N4HHE likes this.

Hiatus FJR-us
post #50 of 51 (permalink) Old 03-21-2018, 09:45 AM
FJR Top Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkndwanderer View Post
I understand you finding it hard to believe but a torque is a pair of countering forces, not a single force at the end of a lever. In engineering "torque" is the measure of a couple.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Couple_(mechanics) says:
"In rigid body mechanics, force couples are free vectors, meaning their effects on a body are independent of the point of application."
That says it doesn't matter whether applied at the star or the hook.

On the other hand I am coming to believe few should be allowed to use ratchets or torque wrenches without a 6" extension because you are using the wrench wrong. Handle and nut/bolt are not in the same plane so a simple force on the handle results in one couple turning the nut/bolt but another twisting the socket off sideways. The socket will not stay on the nut/bolt if you use the tool that way with a 6" extension. Must be used two-handed, or one must apply a correction one-handed to keep the extension in line with the bolt. This correction in how one applies force to the wrench removes lateral forces at the ratchet head and will result in accurate torque with a spanner on steering stem nut no matter the angle between. And no matter a spanner or extension this is the correct way to use a ratchet.

As for accuracy, 10, 13, 15, doesn't much matter. Back the nut off to 0 and retorque it will stop in a different place every time. Nasty old static friction. The idea is to get you in the ballpark with a parameter that can be reproduced with some accuracy. GL1800 service manual specifies a torque on the nut but also specifies use of a fish scale on the end of the handlebar for steering resistance. Or in other words wiggle the handlebars and torque until it feels right.
Bernie likes this.

2018 F-150 XLT SuperCab 4x4 2.7L
2016 FJR1300A
2016 Beta 430 RS
2016 Subaru Outback
2013 Tesla Model S 85
2009 Husaberg FE450
1983 Porsche 928S

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page