Which steering stem wrench is this? - Page 3 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 30Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 69 (permalink) Old 02-27-2018, 12:55 AM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
You've obviously never read oil debate threads LOL

My Adventures Vlog & How-To Videos
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 69 (permalink) Old 02-27-2018, 07:18 AM
Farkle Trainee

why not get the socket and be done with it ?
the socket is super easy to use, don't need much clearance to use.

16ES
post #23 of 69 (permalink) Old 02-27-2018, 08:46 AM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel S. View Post
why not get the socket and be done with it ?
the socket is super easy to use, don't need much clearance to use.
Because the socket is $44 and the socket is $20, you can call me cheap but I've dropped 15K on my FJR this year and I'm looking for deals.

post #24 of 69 (permalink) Old 02-28-2018, 10:41 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditch View Post
My thoughts were that if the distance to the center is different, it would effect torque values because the leverage has changed.
Believe it or not, no. The spanner adapter and socket produce the same torque for the same readings on torque wrench. The leverage does not change.

The point the wrench attaches to spanner is a pivot, no matter the rotation/flex is imperceptible. As a pivot the spanner does not alter the leverage length.

A couple is a pair of equal forces a distance apart which produces a moment, or torque.

Google "moments couples statics" for tutorials. The basic principle being misunderstood here is how a moment will slide along a beam without a compensating fudge factor. You will see moments on a beam are simply added up irrespective of where the moment is applied.

Yamaha did not specify different torque on the spanner vs socket because there isn't any difference. The CNC Machines link is pretty but dead wrong.

Lets put it another way: At the point the torque wrench attaches to the spanner a torque is applied, not a lateral force at the end of a lever but a torque, a twist.
gianter62 likes this.

2018 F-150 XLT SuperCab 4x4 2.7L
2016 FJR1300A
2016 Beta 430 RS
2016 Subaru Outback
2013 Tesla Model S 85
2009 Husaberg FE450
1983 Porsche 928S

Last edited by N4HHE; 02-28-2018 at 10:46 AM.
post #25 of 69 (permalink) Old 02-28-2018, 12:13 PM
Farkle Trainee

On a barely related note, when I had my risers installed last year (yes, I didn't want to mess w/ what is probably a relatively easy job if you have the right tools (which I don't, unfortunately)), my stem bolt that was horizontally straight along the bottom was retightened so that it now a little off horizontal, and is driving my semi-OCD tendencies a bit crazy. Not sure if it's a tightened a little more or a little less than before, but I sure wish it was straight again.

Anyway, that's my Wed. a.m. first-world rant for the day.

2016 FJR1300A
post #26 of 69 (permalink) Old 02-28-2018, 12:59 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC65 View Post
On a barely related note, when I had my risers installed last year (yes, I didn't want to mess w/ what is probably a relatively easy job if you have the right tools (which I don't, unfortunately)), my stem bolt that was horizontally straight along the bottom was retightened so that it now a little off horizontal, and is driving my semi-OCD tendencies a bit crazy. Not sure if it's a tightened a little more or a little less than before, but I sure wish it was straight again.

Anyway, that's my Wed. a.m. first-world rant for the day.
Very thin shim stock can be cut and used as a washer, stacking pieces together if needed, to achieve the alignment you desire.

Russ
2007A

post #27 of 69 (permalink) Old 02-28-2018, 01:17 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbentnail View Post
Very thin shim stock can be cut and used as a washer, stacking pieces together if needed, to achieve the alignment you desire.
It's a little higher on the left side, so I think it was either overtightened just a hair w/ the riser install or the torque was just a tiny bit shy originally. Probaby just need to tweak the bolt a bit (if I had the torque wrench and socket...might have the service tech check it at next service); the difference between original horizontal and new slightly-askew can't be much at all. But your idea isn't bad, though, and will keep it in mind...thanks.

2016 FJR1300A
post #28 of 69 (permalink) Old 02-28-2018, 01:40 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by N4HHE View Post
Believe it or not, no. The CNC Machines link is pretty but dead wrong.
What makes you think the site is wrong? I did not verify the numbers for all cases as it gave what I was loosely expecting. Do you think my formula is incorrect? This is in context to this very specific application.

2014 FJR1300A
post #29 of 69 (permalink) Old 02-28-2018, 06:42 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by R!der View Post
What makes you think the site is wrong? I did not verify the numbers for all cases as it gave what I was loosely expecting. Do you think my formula is incorrect? This is in context to this very specific application.
My BSE from Department of Mechanical Engineering says it is wrong. There is no formula because there is no correction. The point of application of moments/couples on a beam make no difference. There is no lever arm because the head of the torque wrench is a pivot.

A couple is a pair of equal but opposite forces a distant apart, “torque”. M = F x D

Now consider a beam with two couples applied anywhere you wish. Now calculate the sum of forces times distance from any point on the beam (an end is usually easiest.) Break the couples into two component forces, let the forces contributing clockwise rotation positive, counterclockwise negative.

Now move one of the couples and repeat. The answer will be the same. It does not matter where the couples are applied. It does not matter how long the beam.

Another way saying same thing:
If the distance between the two forces of a couple is D, and one is on the beam at d1, the other at d2, then D = d1 - d2.

Sum of the forces about the end is
M = +F x d1 + -F x d2
M = F( d1 - d2 )
M = FD

... right back where we started, the distance from origin cancels out.

The error commonly propagated wrongly assumes the torque wrench measures force at handle times lever arm to the nut. The spanner extension is not part of the lever.

2018 F-150 XLT SuperCab 4x4 2.7L
2016 FJR1300A
2016 Beta 430 RS
2016 Subaru Outback
2013 Tesla Model S 85
2009 Husaberg FE450
1983 Porsche 928S
post #30 of 69 (permalink) Old 03-01-2018, 11:31 AM
Farkle Trainee

I agree with with what you've said there in general, but only when the torque wrench is kept at 90° to the spanner.

Take the case of spanner of length E = 3" and torque wrench L = 12" set to 100 ft-lb; the angle A = 0° such that the torque wrench is parallel and extends in the direction of the spanner, and apply 99.9 pounds of force. What torque will the nut experience? I bet it will be something like 125 ft-lb. The pivot is not a pivot until the torque wrench "breaks" so I do not think it needs to be considered until that point. This is a very old and well proven torque wrench extension.

If the angle is anything else, you find the length E', which is the leg of the triangle that is parallel to the torque wrench, and do the same sort of calculation that you've presented. See the image.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PWT.jpg (34.9 KB, 23 views)
AuroraTom likes this.

2014 FJR1300A

Last edited by R!der; 03-01-2018 at 11:38 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page