FJR Owners Forum banner

Tire Change - Charlotte NC Area?

4K views 21 replies 10 participants last post by  Cobalt 
#1 ·
Is there anyone in the Charlotte NC area that charges a reasonable rate for tire changes?

I've been calling around to various dealers to get prices on changing tires. I can order tires off Bike Bandit for around $70-$100 less than what the dealers charge. On top of that, they seem to be charging around $70 - $125 to install (If I have them do all the work). I've asked about bringing in the new tires/wheels and am getting responses of $40-$60 per wheel. Ridiculous...

#2 · (Edited)
That is why some invest in something like No-Mar tire changing tools.

Tube-type spoked wheels such as used on dirt bikes can be changed with less equipment, especially when one doesn't mind scratching the rims. For tubeless a bead breaker is essential, and a stand to firmly hold the wheel at working height makes a huge difference. Very important to protect the disc(s) which bend easily.

If you take wheels to a shop off-bike make extraordinary effort to protect the discs.

#5 ·
You have to understand that no one can stay in business changing tires for 20 bucks a pop. A certain profit on selling the tires has to be factored in. If we are bringing in tires bought off the internet not only do they have to charge more for installation, but there is bound to be a certain resentment involved. I'm not saying that any and all prices are acceptable but people have to make a profit to stay in business.

If you have a Cycle Gear near you, I think their prices are pretty reasonable if you bring the wheels in.

Reactions: Blue X and N4HHE
#6 ·
It's certainly the crux of it all....one wants to get fair deals on products/installation, but also wants to support decent local business. I've been using the local dealer I bought the bike from on occasion, and so far they've done all right. I just hate paying an extra $200 or so... I was just hoping someone in the area would know of a place or procedure that could cut that down.
Cycle Gear is decent; but for their tires, almost the same cost as the dealer. So wouldn't really save anything on that end...
In the end, probably best to help support the local biz. I'm not sure I trust myself to buy the tools and do it; that could end up costing my a lot more in the end...

Thanks to all!

#7 ·
I see that Cycle Gear charges 25 dollars a wheel if you buy from them, and 50 dollars a wheel if you buy elsewhere and that's if you bring in the wheels. I have seen them have pretty good sales now and then.

You might look in the Charlotte Craigslist, or even put a post on it, looking for a reasonable tire change. If you put a CT on the back you won't have to change it for a long time. LOL

#8 ·
Ya know, I've been thinking about that car tire.... haha I was happy to of gotten 12k outa the eom bridgestones, but the car tire certainly intrigues me.... I gotta hook up with someone who's got one and see....

#9 ·
12k on the oem ??
Dang, that must be some exciting riding, lol. i would pass on the car tire, if you get a decent tire you could be in the 15-20k mile club.
me, on the under hand is always in the under 5k mile club, front and rear, usually much less.

(why sensor Dam n ?? really **** , sigh)

#10 ·
"if you get a decent tire you could be in the 15-20k mile club." Curious, what do you consider decent? Not to open a can of worms....hahaha tires, oil and filters mean opinions to be had by all! I am seriously considering the Michelin Pilot 4's...

#11 ·
I agree that $50 to mount and balance a tire is not unreasonable. Don't blame the shop, blame Yamaha for making wheels so difficult to remove and install on motorcycles. My record time to mount new front on FJR is 75 minutes. Amateur, not pro. I can get the wheel off in 8 minutes. I take much longer to put it back on because there are a number of things that have to be just right.

Professionals have a lot of tools and overhead to cover in their price. Plus you have to wait in line else you'll have to pay for him to not do anything while waiting for your business.

I choose to do my own tires. Gives me hands-on time with bike details I might not otherwise pay attention. Allows me to mount new tires at a moment's notice and not park the bike at a shop for 3 days waiting in line. 5 tires so far on my 2016. About the same on a friend's 2014. I'm getting something better than competent on the way to "good".

No-Mar's Black Friday sale has started. $100 off. Everyone needs one: https://www.nomartirechanger.com

#14 ·
pr4, angel gt, roadsmart 3, t30 evo, ...........
lots of good options,

i moved on from pr4, i would smoke them in a hurry, 3-5k miles, and the front was bald on the sides, roadsmart 3 seem to be working well, and i got them after rebate for under 200$ per set.
9,000 on rear RS3 and the end is near.

Don't think I'm riding any different but this is first rear tire for which I have worn a side bald before center.

#13 ·
I called my dealer today and he gave me a good price on the roadsmart 3's. Matched plus a little better than online. I'll pay a little more on the full install as I don't currently have a no-mar or harbor freight special, but in the end maybe this dealer will stay in business. Overall they've been great, so in the end that's probably worth way more. Especially if I really need them... I appreciate all the responses.

#17 ·
tvaughan, the pr4’s are good tires, expensive but good, I have one on the front of my bike that’s at about 10k on it with a lot left in it. I’ve had close to the similar reasults with Shinko’s.

I just mounted a rear Shinko verge 2 on the rear after the local dealer wanted 2hrs at $100/per to add “T” valves to my rims, ridiculous ! Pushed me over the edge to a new No-Mar Classic changer and like others with multiple bikes it’ll pay for itself quickly.

Reactions: N4HHE
#19 ·
I just mounted a rear Shinko verge 2 on the rear after the local dealer wanted 2hrs at $100/per to add "T" valves to my rims, ridiculous ! Pushed me over the edge to a new No-Mar Classic changer and like others with multiple bikes it'll pay for itself quickly.
On paper the Verge 2 looks to be my next tire. Be sure to keep us updated. Just mounted my closeout sale T30 Evo GTs and found nail in rear yesterday at 346 miles. This is 3rd rear in a row I've plugged. :frown2:

So far I like my T30s better than the two sets of RS3 prior. Will have to wait and see for wear.

Bought No-Mar CH200 in fall of 2016 and have mounted 20 motorcycle tires since. Buy extra tips for the spoons.

Wish I had purchased the Marc Parnes balancer instead of No-Mar. The one I bought is (rightfully so) discontinued. The bearings were badly mounted and badly designed. The cones and shaft are perfectly fine. Plus the stand didn't hold bearings parallel. Machined, drilled, and tapped a couple blocks of aluminum to hold the bearings flat. Then I use a carpenters square to check and correct parallel before each use.

#18 ·
passx, I've got a General GMax AS-05 sitting in my garage right now once the RSIII's finally wear out (thus far, 13k miles and still have life left). Good info on the pr4 - debating on the front whether to go back to the RSIII or try something else.
That classic looks nice...probably just a matter of time before one finds its way to the house :)

#20 ·
I am totally happy with the rear 005 advance Shinko that I took off with a little over 10k mi on it, easily could have gone 12-13k but since I had to pull it to install my “t” valves and look for a slow leak I figured i’d Just put a new one on. On the verge 2 I will say that initially it seemed to squirm a bit at speed for the first 100-200mi but now is just stabile as a rock, very happy with it so far.

I will put the Shinko raven 009 back on the front since it only has about 1k on it and was pulled as a solution for the front wobble and replaced with a Michelin pr4 which didn’t fix it. The Michelin is also a good tire with about 10k on it now and a lot left in it. The pr4 is a bit different in that it it is a much softer feeling tire and a flatter profile that slows the handling transitions down noticeably, it is a good tire though, seems to do everything just fine, seems to work better with 39-41psi in it. The only downside in my opinion is that it is very expensive. The shinko’s Have been good as well, the verge 2 is a dual compound and is supposed to give better mileage, we’ll find out. I’ll add that I probably don’t ride as aggressive as some do but have scrubbed the “chicken strips” about 75% of the way up, your results may vary ��

Reactions: N4HHE
#21 ·
I am totally happy with the rear 005 advance Shinko that I took off with a little over 10k mi on it, easily could have gone 12-13k but since I had to pull it to install my "t" valves and look for a slow leak I figured i'd Just put a new one on. On the verge 2 I will say that initially it seemed to squirm a bit at speed for the first 100-200mi but now is just stabile as a rock, very happy with it so far.

I will put the Shinko raven 009 back on the front since it only has about 1k on it and was pulled as a solution for the front wobble and replaced with a Michelin pr4 which didn't fix it. The Michelin is also a good tire with about 10k on it now and a lot left in it. The pr4 is a bit different in that it it is a much softer feeling tire and a flatter profile that slows the handling transitions down noticeably, it is a good tire though, seems to do everything just fine, seems to work better with 39-41psi in it. The only downside in my opinion is that it is very expensive. The shinko's Have been good as well, the verge 2 is a dual compound and is supposed to give better mileage, we'll find out. I'll add that I probably don't ride as aggressive as some do but have scrubbed the "chicken strips" about 75% of the way up, your results may vary ��
I have no idea how you managed 10k on an 005 Advance... I had two sets on my R1150R and got closer to 5k front and back. They were the right price and handled very well but I guess I tortured them >:) I just mounted up Verge 2's on the front and rear on the FJR and have a trip to Rapid City, SD coming up in a week. We'll see how they hold up over that distance and whether the dual compound is all that it's hyped up to be. If I get 10k out of them, I will be ecstatic!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.