Rear shock removal - 2007 w/ abs - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-18-2011, 09:16 AM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Rear shock removal - 2007 w/ abs

I am replacing my stock shock with the Ohlins YA707....but am having trouble understanding how the top bolt is removed. I'm using both the service manual as well as the FJR Tech article on installing the Ohlins, but they make no particular reference to the top bolt other than saying to "loosen and remove". I have gained access to the nut, but the head is obstructed by what I'm guessing might be the innards of the ABS system. None of my references talk about the need to remove that...plus its downright scarey.....

What am I missing on getting the top-bolt removed??

NickG20
2007 FRJ1300
Dale Holeshot header/exhaust system
Power Commander III
N4HHE likes this.

FJokeR
Calling Elvis
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-18-2011, 12:02 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

I have done this on a 2009 without removing the ABS. I did have to move something out of the way but it wasn't difficult. Then it was just a long extension to get at the bolt head.

I do seem to remember that I had a bit of a problem removing the OEM shock. The control cables for the 'hard/soft' were tangled up in something (wish I had taken pictures). Ended up releasing the cables from the shock itself to untangle them.

Have fun

Don
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-18-2011, 05:02 PM
Farkle Trainee

Re: Rear shock removal - 2007 w/ abs

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickG20
I am replacing my stock shock with the Ohlins YA707....but am having trouble understanding how the top bolt is removed. I'm using both the service manual as well as the FJR Tech article on installing the Ohlins, but they make no particular reference to the top bolt other than saying to "loosen and remove". I have gained access to the nut, but the head is obstructed by what I'm guessing might be the innards of the ABS system. None of my references talk about the need to remove that...plus its downright scarey.....

What am I missing on getting the top-bolt removed??
NickG20
2007 FRJ1300
Dale Holeshot header/exhaust system
Power Commander III
Nick, gently pry the ABS/block over far enough to get your socket on the bolt/nut.
mobilemike likes this.

There is no better therapy than a ride.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-19-2011, 08:13 PM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Tx, Petey from Stillwater.... was able to get socket on the bolt head, remove nut and push bolt partially out but the black bracket that holds the ABS system does not have enough movement for that top shock bolt to clear and be removed.??
And its not clear where that black bracket attaches to release it..not that I want to!...but the bolt head has probably another 40% of its head to clear before it can come out......

A bit frustrating since nothing in the several articles concerning this mod discuss this obstacle....

Thanks, again.

FJokeR
Calling Elvis
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-15-2011, 04:01 PM
Farkle Trainee

Could I dare to ask what the Ohlins cost was to you? Seems that they are made of gold and platinum in Sweden....

Which is the neighbour country to Finland. Without the gold and diamond mines of SA. The original entrepeneurs bought back the company from Yamamama a couple of years ago. Quality products for sure.

Finnfjr
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-28-2014, 04:26 PM
Farkle Trainee

FJR1300 Shock Replacement

This is an old thread but I thought I'd add something because anyone doing a shock replacement on a Gen II or III usually hits this thread and its a bit light on info.

The big problem with the install is removing the top bolt holding the shock in place. If you remove the plate that the adjuster is bolted into, the entire ABS unit loosens up. There are four screws that hold it, two on each side. They are long and tight, especially the two on the right. On my 2014 there are two acorn type small screws that hold ABS hoses in place too. Just remove them. They WILL go back together. With those screws off and the ABS free to move about the shock comes out easily. Well as easy as anything gets when working on motorcycles I left the bolt in place so I would not have to fight to get it back in hole.
N4HHE likes this.

Last edited by 95354; 12-28-2014 at 04:28 PM.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-10-2020, 10:02 AM
Training wheels fitted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95354 View Post
This is an old thread but I thought I'd add something because anyone doing a shock replacement on a Gen II or III usually hits this thread and its a bit light on info.

The big problem with the install is removing the top bolt holding the shock in place. If you remove the plate that the adjuster is bolted into, the entire ABS unit loosens up. There are four screws that hold it, two on each side. They are long and tight, especially the two on the right. On my 2014 there are two acorn type small screws that hold ABS hoses in place too. Just remove them. They WILL go back together. With those screws off and the ABS free to move about the shock comes out easily. Well as easy as anything gets when working on motorcycles I left the bolt in place so I would not have to fight to get it back in hole.
This now a very old thread, but came up as the first result when i googled "FJR abs shock removal". After some head scratching and a couple of choice swear words, thought I'd add an additional note that not all FJR's with ABS are the same. The plumbing on 2007 ABS unit are not the same as the later model on the instruction film I watched on YouTube -

Therefore the above instructions didn't quite work. See the attached pictures to see the difference in layout.

In my case, I had to:
1. Slacken the two acorn type small screws that hold ABS hoses
2. Remove the screws holding the foot pedal's brake cylinder to the frame. With the brake cylinder free to move down a little, I was able to move its hoses out of the way.
3. I was then able to get a socket onto the shock absorber's bolt
4. When the nut was off the top bolt, however I still couldn't get it out past the ABS mounting plate. I had to use a large screwdriver to spring the ABS plate upwards slightly to get the bolt out.

Note: In my case, slackening the plate that the adjuster is bolted into actually seemed to be counter-productive, doing so moved the ABS unit downwards which meant it was more in the way than before.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2007_FJR1300AS.jpg (431.1 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg 2015_FJR1300A.jpg (395.9 KB, 12 views)
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-10-2020, 03:53 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I've done both, but never had to take the master cylinder off... don't have my '07 any more, but there is a way to get your 17mm socket in there.
The video seems OK for Gen3.. but...

A little change of mindset also...... no need to remove the top shock bolt at all, but take your socket off it, which will allow the head to slip by ABS stuff if oriented accordingly. You only need to push the bolt out from the left side enough to disengage the shock... side benefit, you don't lose the spacer/bushing.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-10-2020, 04:11 PM
Farkle Trainee

Timely thread, I should be getting my rebuilt Penske 8987 next week for my 2013 so I will be doing this. Thanks guys

Jerry Holland
2013 FJR1300A
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-10-2020, 08:32 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Yeah, the unique '07 can be a PITA, a real head scratcher. I was able to get the shock out by loosening ABS and exhaust mounts and by flexing stuff this way and that. IIRC I put a little electrical tape on a socket universal joint to stiffen it up so I could reach down in without the joint flopping around.
2GENAE likes this.

Russ
2007A

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page