Heat Control - Requesting Advice. - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-19-2016, 10:57 AM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Heat Control - Requesting Advice.

On my Gen I, I had managed (with expert forum advice) to panel mount my heat control. This worked out very well. I did have one inch handlebar risers on the Gen 1. I think this was a Gerbing control. Now I have a nice new 2016 A. Itís getting cold in Colorado! My question, has anyone panel mounted a Gerbing control or Heat-Troller control on a Gen 3? Iím wondering if there is enough room under that panel by the glove box to mount the control. I could just struggle thru pulling off panels and look for myself, but wanted to ask before I go to all that work. I could order a Gerbing or Heat-Troller, pictures I see of both indicate the Heat-Troller is a little smaller. Thanks much for advice and suggestions. Below is a picture of the control on my Gen 1.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3298.JPG (82.7 KB, 40 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-19-2016, 11:29 AM
FJR Top Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyote View Post
On my Gen I, I had managed (with expert forum advice) to panel mount my heat control. This worked out very well. I did have one inch handlebar risers on the Gen 1. I think this was a Gerbing control. Now I have a nice new 2016 A. Itís getting cold in Colorado! My question, has anyone panel mounted a Gerbing control or Heat-Troller control on a Gen 3? Iím wondering if there is enough room under that panel by the glove box to mount the control. I could just struggle thru pulling off panels and look for myself, but wanted to ask before I go to all that work. I could order a Gerbing or Heat-Troller, pictures I see of both indicate the Heat-Troller is a little smaller. Thanks much for advice and suggestions. Below is a picture of the control on my Gen 1.

I use a Warn & Safe Remote Heat-troller mounted with Dual-Lock on the clutch reservoir. Works great
kyote likes this.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-20-2016, 12:06 PM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

"I use a Warn & Safe Remote Heat-troller mounted with Dual-Lock on the clutch reservoir. Works great"

Thanks for the idea, I may go this way. Did a search, I haven't seen any permanent panel mounts, so may modify my plans and do same as you. I assume the portable control is at least water resistant, I'll check on that. Like this idea better than trying to carry portable control in my pocket.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-20-2016, 02:17 PM
FJR Top Gun

Quote:
"I use a Warn & Safe Remote Heat-troller mounted with Dual-Lock on the clutch reservoir. Works great"

Thanks for the idea, I may go this way. Did a search, I haven't seen any permanent panel mounts, so may modify my plans and do same as you. I assume the portable control is at least water resistant, I'll check on that. Like this idea better than trying to carry portable control in my pocket.
It has been through deluges ... hasn't leaked yet

I learned the hard way. These days I don't put anything on the outside that isn't waterproof. That way I can simply zip up the vents on the suit, and keep riding.
kyote likes this.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-20-2016, 06:07 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bracken View Post
I use a Warn & Safe Remote Heat-troller mounted with Dual-Lock on the clutch reservoir. Works great
I use the same setup. Has worked for several years rain or shine.
kyote likes this.

It is mathematically impossible for everyone to be above average.....
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-20-2016, 08:21 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I use the remote also. Waterproof. They have o-rings on the knob shafts, as do the corded ones.
kyote likes this.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-21-2016, 08:36 AM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
I use the Gyde formally Gerbing dual heat controller & it is velcroed to my clutch reservoir lid. I mounted the main controller under the seat and and I only have to deal with the remote. When I leave the bike in an unattended area I put the controller in the glove box or my pocket. Pros to this system is I can still adjust the setting on the controller if I loose the remote or the battery dies. The cons are the battery is not replaceable and has a life expectancy of 10 yrs.http://shop.gydesupply.com/12V-Dual-...emp-Controller
kyote likes this.

2014 FJR1300ES Metallic Black
I strive for perfection but have settled for less!

Last edited by Madmudder; 11-21-2016 at 10:04 AM.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-21-2016, 10:00 AM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:

Here's the permanent dual temp controller you're looking for: http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/g...emp-controller

I also used it and did the same installation as you did on the left hand panel, however, that is on my Gen 2. I don't have an answer to your space question on the Gen 3.
kyote likes this.

Tiger_993 (aka Bryan)
2006 FJR1300A
2012 WR250R
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-22-2016, 09:46 AM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Thanks for all the suggestions. Looks like portable is the way I should go for now, I can get up and running with heat pretty quickly if I go this way.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-22-2016, 02:06 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I use the warmnsafe heat troller that stays in the built-in pocket in the jacket liner. This was not a good plan. After I put on my riding jacket over the heated liner, it is very difficult to adjust the heat. I'm becoming better at it, but it's still not a great plan a. If you're on the fence regarding heated gear, quit dilly dallying. But get a remote controller.

No commercials. No dictators.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2018 FJR1300ES Stealth Model

IBA# 69560

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page