MC Canyon Cage Slider Project Parts - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-17-2016, 07:55 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Question MC Canyon Cage Slider Project Parts

After reading some of the posts, where some members rigged sliders to their MC Canyon Cages, I started looking for parts to do the same.

I came up with Shogun Sliders for a CBR1000RR (I had a spare set), and I want to mount them to the front engine mount (as described in these posts), by replacing the present bolt that came with the Canyon Cages (which replaced the M12 engine mount bolt).

The bolts that came are M12-1.25 x 120mm/100mm. As stated in one of the posts I read on here, I will need M12-1.25 x 160mm, to allow enough length for the installation of the sliders.

What I'm having trouble with is FINDING these bolts. I've found M12 bolts in 1.75 and 1.5 pitch in the 160mm length, but unless I want to spend $70+ dollars to buy bulk, I've not found single M12-1.25 x 160mm bolts. Tried the usual suspects like Fastenal with no luck.

Anyone knows where I might be able to come up with these? Who else has tried this?
MrPalms likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-17-2016, 08:27 PM
FJR Top Gun

post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-17-2016, 09:42 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Oh yeah! They certainly will. For whatever reason I didn't find those when I looked at the Fastenal site.
Thank you!
Steve Bracken likes this.

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-17-2016, 11:47 PM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Try Allens Fasteners for those special bolts - that's where I get them. Fastenal is a ripoff. I normally get my other fasteners from BoltDepot.com
thorpapa and azjohnnyo like this.

"If ya can't be handsome, ya might as well be handy!"

2004 FJR1300
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-18-2016, 11:56 AM
red
FJR Top Gun

MC Canyon Cage Slider Project Parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorpapa View Post
After reading some of the posts, where some members rigged sliders to their MC Canyon Cages, I started looking for parts to do the same. What I'm having trouble with is FINDING these bolts. Tried the usual suspects like Fastenal with no luck. Anyone knows where I might be able to come up with these?
Thorpapa,

For any fasteners, the telephone yellow pages will have a separate business heading for "Nuts and Bolts." Go to:

http://www.anywho.com/yellow-pages

Enter Nuts and Bolts, and give a ZIP code for LOCATION. Lots of local resources should come up. You can set the SORT default (at the top of the list) to sort by DISTANCE, to find the closest stores.

Cheers,
Red
thorpapa likes this.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-18-2016, 01:26 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

I want to thank you all for the help. Fastenal would cost me almost $30 for 2 bolts shipped to my house. They have them, but not cheap. Allen Fasteners (a site I had not previously found when doing the Net search) has them also, and very reasonably priced. I ordered the bolts from them.
I looked around using the Anywho YP search, hoping somwhere locally would have them, but none of the locations had them in that length. Very useful search tool for hardware and tools though, thank you.

Thanks to you all, I was able to find the needed hardware. Now just wait for it to arrive, and then find a couple of hours to attempt putting the Canyon Cage / Shogun Slider combination together.

I will post pictures to this thread when its finished for information on the materials, and to show what it looks like appearance-wise (always a consideration). Hopefully I won't run into a situation that demands a test of its functionality
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-24-2016, 04:44 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Update Time:

This past weekend I got some free time, and put all the parts together.

As you can see in the attached pictures, they don't stick out very much, but should be just enough to keep some vital parts from touching the ground. The Canyon cages made a perfect platform for bolting the sliders on.

As I previously mentioned, I used M12 - 1.25 x 160mm bolts from Allen Fasteners, though Fastenal also has them (just pricier). The sliders are from a CBR1000RR (also in the pictures for reference).

I took off the Case Guards to show the sliders profile a little better.

Took about 1 hour from start to finish, being careful to measure for correct length, and torque to proper values.

No, I didn't lay it on its side to test the sliders. The bike is heavy, I'm old, and didn't want to spend the time or take the chance

Ok, I wanted to post pictures, but the Drag Files to Attach link is grayed out. Any help?
MrPalms likes this.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-24-2016, 07:27 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Ok, I think I just had to resize them. Here they are.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0346.JPG (388.5 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0347.JPG (388.0 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0348.JPG (551.7 KB, 82 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0350.JPG (506.7 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0351.JPG (468.5 KB, 58 views)
J-Luv likes this.

"I got a sweater for Christmas. I wanted a screamer, or a moaner"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-07-2017, 09:51 AM
Farkle Trainee

Maybe I missed it but when sourcing bolts would one want a 8.8 or 10.9?
Does it come down to you want it to bend a little or snap off?
I expect that with the torque value either would work, just a question of how ductile is preferred.

Also is the 160mm length for the 13 and up models?

2015 FJR A
Pile of dirt bikes, mostly KTM's and a few Vintage
Boats n Stuff
What makes your life worth living?

Last edited by TTBaddog; 03-07-2017 at 10:47 AM.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-07-2017, 10:20 AM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

For what its worth.......

I had the misfortune of laying the bike down 2 weekends ago, on the first 60 degree day we had. My wife and I escaped injury, FJR......not so much

Its sitting at the dealer right now after the insurance agreed to repair it, waiting for parts.

The canyon cages and the sliders I attached did their part quite well on the original Low Side, when we hit some leftover oil/debris on a turn, however after the original Low Side, the tires caught traction again, and the bike stood back up and High Sided.

That threw me and my wife through the air, and this time the FJR landed hard enough to go past the tipping point that the canyon Cages and sliders provide, destroying the side mirror and right side of the upper fairing.

The left side (the original "first contact" side) looks perfect, other than a worn slider. Were it not for the tires catching traction again, a continuing slide would have just resulted in a worn slider. So.....the Cages and sliders did their job......up to a point.

The M12 bolts held, but the one on the left side (the High Side side) did bend.

"I got a sweater for Christmas. I wanted a screamer, or a moaner"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page