32006 tapered roller steering stem bearings - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-01-2016, 09:17 AM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

32006 tapered roller steering stem bearings

Now that I have my front lift completed that will allow me to remove the forks and triple trees for maintenance this winter, I also plan on replacing the ball bearings for the triple trees with tapered roller bearings.

From doing searches on the forum I only found one mention of the number for tapered roller bearings which was 32006. So I just wanted to see if anyone can confirm that this the correct tapered roller bearing to replace the OEM ball bearings.

Yamaha does not list the OD, ID and width of the ball bearings on online parts suppliers like Ron Ayers like Suzuki does, which would make it easy to confirm that the 32006 has the same OD, ID and width as the OEM ball bearings

I plan on buying a name brand bearing like Timken or SKF from my local Motion Ind. store and I want to go ahead and buy them now, and so I can make up tools for installing the cups and the cones.

https://cad.timken.com/item/tapered-...c-2/item-25587

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2018 Suzuki DL1000XT

SOLD - My custom 2013 Yamaha FJR1300A.

2007 Custom Candy Sonoma Red naked Bandit 1250S/AK7 customized with MetrickMetal custom parts and one-off mods. Full Holeshot stage II with header & slip-on, Race Tech gold valves/springs, and Cogent Dynamic shock. In a constant state of metamorphosis.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-01-2016, 10:03 AM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetrickMetal View Post

I plan on buying a name brand bearing like Timken or SKF from my local Motion Ind.

https://cad.timken.com/item/tapered-...c-2/item-25587
Can't help on the dimensions but..... Thumbs up on this ^^^^^^

It is mathematically impossible for everyone to be above average.....
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-04-2016, 05:15 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

the bearing you are removing should have a number on the shoulder No? I've gone to the bearing stores before and it's a good choice if you have the number. They might even be able to replace the seal if there is one and you can get it out and still read the number on it. I haven't had good luck tensioning the bearings when installing and would get wear again and a flat spot in 20K miles or so. I could try it again though. Good luck.

2006 FJR1300 20K mi. Dynojet PowerCommander III, VStream Tour Shield, Pilot Road 2 Tires
2012 Can Am Spyder RT
Previous bikes: '75 Honda XL100, 81 Yamaha RD350, 82 Yamaha Seca 650Turbo, 87 Yamaha Venture Royale, 88 Kawasaki Concours, 00 Kawasaki Concours, 09 Kawasaki Ninja500

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-04-2016, 05:27 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

i used a set from "pyramid parts" on ebay. has the bearings and seals.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-29-2016, 05:43 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

After doing more research on internet I confirmed that the Timken tapered roller bearing number for the FJR's is 32006X, which is the number for the cup and cone set. I've always bought name quality name brand bearings for my bikes, and the Timkens are not that much more then unknown bearing brands like All Balls.

So shortly I will be buying two sets from Motion Ind., and I'll be installing them as well as changing the fork oil this winter. If my memory serves me right, this bearing is a commonly used steering stem bearing in Japanese motorcycle, and even the guy I spoke to at Motion Ind. said that he uses the same bearing in his R1.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2018 Suzuki DL1000XT

2007 Custom Candy Sonoma Red naked Bandit 1250S/AK7 customized with MetrickMetal custom parts and one-off mods. Full Holeshot stage II with header & slip-on, Race Tech gold valves/springs, and Cogent Dynamic shock. In a constant state of metamorphosis.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-29-2016, 07:10 PM
FJR Top Gun

Garage
I'll have to check if the kit comes with the dust cup, come seal like with the All Balls kit.

Thanks for the heads up. Been using All Balls and never had a problem.

In Thrust we Trust

2014 FJR AE ....The Aussie ES
2013 Stelvio NTX
2010 Spyder RT-S Limited Edition
2007 GSX1400
2002 TL1000R
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-29-2016, 08:05 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queensland Ken View Post
I'll have to check if the kit comes with the dust cup, come seal like with the All Balls kit.

Thanks for the heads up. Been using All Balls and never had a problem.
Timken offers different options in their single row tapered roller bearings, with the TS series being without seals, and the TSL series has the molded on rubber seals, which is the ones I'll be getting.

http://www.timken.com/en-us/products...ACE-PLUS).aspx

2018 Suzuki DL1000XT

post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-30-2016, 08:30 AM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Both Timkem and SKF are high quality bearings, and I have used both for many applications over the years, and I don't mind spending the extra money to get a bearing I don't have to worry about and know how their going to work and last.

Bearings from places like All Balls are not made by them, and are just branded with their name, and I read a few posts on different forums of failures of bearings from All Balls. So even though I have never used them I would probably always be worrying about them after I installed them.

I do know from personal experience that Timkem tapered roller bearings if properly installed on the steering stem, properly lubed, adjusted and maintained will be trouble free for many, many years.
Koda likes this.

2018 Suzuki DL1000XT

Last edited by MetrickMetal; 08-30-2016 at 08:32 AM.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-30-2016, 10:13 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetrickMetal View Post
I do know from personal experience that Timkem tapered roller bearings if properly installed on the steering stem, properly lubed, adjusted and maintained will be trouble free for many, many years.
Like Ken, I've not had any trouble with All Balls bearings. The key being as you say, "if properly installed". The only troubles I've read about came from people pounding them on rather than working the parts for a proper fit.

Russ
2007A

post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-30-2016, 04:53 PM
FJR Top Gun

Garage
And when you slip the oven baked bearing onto the stem, make sure its on first. Doh!
lol. Torque to about. 13 lb/ft. Recheck within a month. The bearing will bed in.

In Thrust we Trust

2014 FJR AE ....The Aussie ES
2013 Stelvio NTX
2010 Spyder RT-S Limited Edition
2007 GSX1400
2002 TL1000R

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page