Trailer hitch 06 FJR - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-12-2006, 05:17 AM Thread Starter
High-G FJR Junkie!

Trailer hitch 06 FJR

I have now had a query about my trailer hitch, so here are some pictures.
The hitch is made from mild steel flat bar which I bought down at the local hardware shop along with the necessary bolts. There are no welds anywhere on the hitch. Where the hitch vertical supports pass through the black plastic mudguard, I made the slots by simply pushing a sharp pointed knife straight through the plastic, it is very soft. Thus, when I remove the hitch, the slots will close up and be almost invisible.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-12-2006, 06:36 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Garage
Bernie, Whats the query?

The work it looks fine, but you are relying on the subframe/exhaust hanger bracket for all the high load work, I would try and spread the work load because if one side breaks you will be a bit of doodoo.

FJR gone sorry chaps.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-12-2006, 07:27 AM Thread Starter
High-G FJR Junkie!

Woody, the query was where to buy a ready made hitch. I suspect that because the 06 is so new, no factory has yet produced a hitch. The physical dimensions of the 06 are completely different from earlier models, so a new hitch will have to be designed.

As for your other comments, where would you suggest I spread the load to? Although the dimensions are different, I used the same basic design on my previous 2 FJR's, and towed the trailer for tens of thousands of kilometers without a problem.

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-12-2006, 08:13 AM
Super Moderator
High-G FJR Junkie!

Bernie, that's a pretty heavyweight sidestand foot you've got protecting the driveway

IBA 21684

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I (may) did crash but I (will) did not die by accident
Brakes
Who needs brakes - they only slow you down
but when you do need them, use them with all your might
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-12-2006, 09:00 AM
Farkle Trainee

Send a message via MSN to moose
Bernie...Nice work mate!!!

Do you like it? I think you would not have made it this way if you thought it wouldn't work
You done well my friend....stuff what others think :P You can now tow your trailer mate

Moose

"What's the use of happiness? It can't buy you money".
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-12-2006, 09:54 AM Thread Starter
High-G FJR Junkie!

How come you always spot the little things David.

I wasn't protecting the paving, I was getting the bike to stand more upright on the side stand, and I can't remember why now. And you're right, that is a weight, I've got plenty more too.

The bike in this picture is my last 03 bike, and you can see the tow hitch on it.

post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-12-2006, 06:26 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Garage
Bernie,
The lower arm which fits to the exhaust can mount, would a longer arm reach to the main frame/subframe mount which would be far stronger & safer.

FJR gone sorry chaps.
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-12-2006, 07:33 PM Thread Starter
High-G FJR Junkie!

Woody, I thought of that in the original design, but rejected it because it would have placed the draw bar too low to allow for suspension movement. And, that exhaust hanger bracket really is a very strong bit of work. On the earlier FJR's, it also carried the pillion foot pegs, and had to be strong enough to take the total weight of some fat ******* on just one of them.

Also, the trailer is not really very heavy, I'm not carting wet sand in it.
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-13-2006, 04:22 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Garage
Ok Bernie,
I see your point about foot rests not mounted on the same bracket anymore and have given some thought.

So go and enjoy your new farkle.

FJR gone sorry chaps.
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-13-2006, 05:59 AM
FJR Top Gun

Been looking for them everywhere, but not been able to find those flat trailer plugs and sockets in the UK. Clunking great round ones or nothing.
Good thing is that with LED lighting, the wiring can be a lot smaller, and so can the connectors.

Noice tidy bit of work Bernie, but I was wondering what the lateral stiffness was like. Difficult to see from the photos, but with all the flat strip oriented the same way does the hitch give at all when pushed from the side?

"How was he so fast?...We now know his pants were on fire."

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page