Trailer hitch 06 FJR - Page 3 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-16-2006, 08:38 AM
Farkle Trainee

I run a Squire D21 trailer 21 cu/ft and the hitch was mad by them

http://www.motorcycle-luggage-trailers.info/index.html

Its 52kg as it stands and should not carry more that 160kg but when we moved to France
We had closer to 300kg in it .
It has a 360degree ball hitch witch means you can still get the old knees down .
We tend to sit at 110mph to 120mph on motorways and it still good for 90mph through the bends and have more than once ran at well over 140mph rushing to catch the ferry.

url="http://www.Photo-Host.org/view/859041dscf0001222.jpg"][/url]

[url="http://www.Photo-Host.org/view/899865dscf0005666.jpg"]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-26-2011, 06:54 PM
Training wheels fitted!

Zombie alert!! DIY hitch and Harbor Freight Tagalong traile

So I copied Bernie's hitch but adapted it for the ball type coupler common in the US. Came out great!

Painted it black because I had a rattle can of black on the shelf. It's a 2004 Gen 1.
post #23 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-26-2011, 10:33 PM Thread Starter
High-G FJR Junkie!

Well, there's a blast from the past, welcome to the forum Pepperell, glad my old post helped.

post #24 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-27-2011, 07:34 AM
Training wheels fitted!

Thanks, Bernie. At no time during the hundred mile shakedown cruise did the trailer pass the motorcycle. And both arrived home at the same time!
post #25 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-05-2012, 12:58 PM
Training wheels fitted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie View Post
I have now had a query about my trailer hitch, so here are some pictures.
The hitch is made from mild steel flat bar which I bought down at the local hardware shop along with the necessary bolts. There are no welds anywhere on the hitch. Where the hitch vertical supports pass through the black plastic mudguard, I made the slots by simply pushing a sharp pointed knife straight through the plastic, it is very soft. Thus, when I remove the hitch, the slots will close up and be almost invisible.

Just looking at those pictures worry me as there is no lateral bracing only vertical support. You have to remember that there are a lot of lateral forces at work especially when braking hard in a corner when the trailer will try to continue in a straight line away from the bike. Also you have to consider the problem of snaking which is when the trailer tries to overtake the vehicel going down hill or under braking which again induces a lot of sideways stress. Have you changed the rear suspension as you have just increased the rear loading of the bike especially if you carry a pillion as well and panniers etc. I can understand trailers on Gold Wings which are very heavy and stable but not on a light sports tourer could be asking for trouble!!!!
Does yor insurance compnay know that you are pulling a trailer?

Good luck
post #26 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-05-2012, 06:05 PM Thread Starter
High-G FJR Junkie!

Wink

There is lateral bracing. The struts that go out to the silencer hang bolts are there for that very reason. I have had no problem with snaking, and I have towed that trailer I would guess about 50,000 Km, at speeds up to 200 Kph on occassion.

The trailer is not very heavy, 60 Kg empty, and maybe 100 Kg luggage. There would only be around 10 Kg weight on the hitch, so I have not found it necessary to change the rear suspension on the bike.

I don't insure bikes, so I couldn't care less what the insurance companies think about the trailer. I figure that if I have a minor crash, I will fix the bike myself. If I have a major crash, I probably won't need the bike any more. And I'm very careful about protecting the bike from theft.
post #27 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-13-2012, 09:59 PM
Training wheels fitted!

Great hitch! What size flat bar did you use? Thanks.

Kurt
'06 Yamaha FJR1300
'03 Honda Magna 750
'81 Honda Silver Wing 500
post #28 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-14-2012, 06:00 AM Thread Starter
High-G FJR Junkie!

For the draw bar, I used flat bar 2.5 cm wide, and 5 mm thick.
For the support bars, 2 cm wide, and 3 mm thick.
For the hitch, 5 cm wide, and 4 mm thick.

Note the wide radius bends in the draw bar. I did this to reduce metal fatigue in the corners. I bent the metal cold.

I usually buy a new bike every 3 years, I'm on my 5th new FJR now. That tow bar is shown on my 06 FJR, and since then I have moved the tow bar onto an 09 FJR, and now a 2012 FJR. It's so nice not having to make a new tow bar every time I change bikes.
post #29 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 04:58 PM
Training wheels fitted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie View Post
I have now had a query about my trailer hitch, so here are some pictures.
The hitch is made from mild steel flat bar which I bought down at the local hardware shop along with the necessary bolts. There are no welds anywhere on the hitch. Where the hitch vertical supports pass through the black plastic mudguard, I made the slots by simply pushing a sharp pointed knife straight through the plastic, it is very soft. Thus, when I remove the hitch, the slots will close up and be almost invisible.

Hate to resurect a decades old thread...but I'm gonna anyway.

I'm looking to add a hitch to my 06 FJR and came across this old thread. I'm curious if anyone has any of the photos that are not missing due to image hosting shutting down or blurring photos.

I can't stomach spending several hundred dollars on $50 of metal and a bit of fabrication.

Thanks All!

Corey M - Neenah WI
06 FJR1300AE
99 Ducati 748s
post #30 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 06:37 PM Thread Starter
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 748Desmo View Post
Hate to resurect a decades old thread...but I'm gonna anyway.

I'm looking to add a hitch to my 06 FJR and came across this old thread. I'm curious if anyone has any of the photos that are not missing due to image hosting shutting down or blurring photos.

I can't stomach spending several hundred dollars on $50 of metal and a bit of fabrication.

Thanks All!
Here you go. https://photos.app.goo.gl/PkanCQEcyMAD2FAm8

FJR Models owned from new, 2001, 2003, 2006, 2009, 2011, 2014.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page