Trailer hitch 06 FJR - Page 2 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-13-2006, 07:43 AM Thread Starter
High-G FJR Junkie!

Marshman, those struts which go from the silencer tang to half way up the draw bar, are there to reduce lateral flexing. There is still some minor flexing, but it is acceptable, and in fact, I think some flexing in all planes is desirable because things which are too rigid, break.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-13-2006, 08:25 AM
Super Moderator
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie
I think some flexing in all planes is desirable because things which are too rigid, break.
Same can be applied to people.

IBA 21684

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I (may) did crash but I (will) did not die by accident
Brakes
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Who needs brakes - they only slow you down
but when you do need them, use them with all your might
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-13-2006, 04:26 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

And quite painful when applied to people, such as David.

Bernie I admire you're abilities.

Glenn

|
|

post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-13-2006, 07:07 PM
Farkle Trainee

Bernie,
have you considered ringing Wayne at Shadow trailers here in Adel. 08 8249 9922 He may have done a template and if not might be able to.. Nice towbars.. Easy mount.. no holes.
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-13-2006, 07:19 PM Thread Starter
High-G FJR Junkie!

Well, my trailer is actually a "Shadow", one of his earliest production models.

But I'm sure my hitch is a lot cheaper than his, and I have already made it.

It's a shame he doesn't have a web site, I'm sure it would give him a huge increase in business, but maybe he doesn't want extra business.
post #16 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-14-2006, 07:49 PM
Farkle Trainee

Bernie, nice work!!!! you are quite right in the need for some flex in all planes, to rigid and it will stress the bike frame a bit too much and things will start cracking.
the only thing I'm not too keen on is the way you have the safety chains attached, not sure if that would pass Qld regs. It will still work exactly like everything elso tho!!

what sort of fuel econ. do you get towing the trailer? empty and loaded?
i think i'm getting better km/Lt down the highway towing behind my 600....
i'll have to actually record what i'm getting with the 600 and see...
post #17 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-14-2006, 11:22 PM Thread Starter
High-G FJR Junkie!

Thommo, if I could have my way, I wouldn't have safety chains at all. If the trailer were to somehow get loose of the hitch, I would far rather be free of it than have it thrashing around on the chains. I saw that situation once in the army, a trailer was on the chains behind a truck, and it was thrashing around like a mad dog on a leash. On the bike, the trailer tongue would probably dig into the back tyre and jam up the wheel.

As for fuel consumption, I've never towed the trailer empty, why would you, but loaded, the fancy new fuel consumption gauge on my new 06 was showing 15.8 Km/L average on my last trip. I get about 18 Km/L without it.
post #18 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-15-2006, 01:07 PM
Training wheels fitted!

Bernie & Thommo thank you so much for all the information. My husband & I both really appreciate your help, photos and info. One thing I forgot to ask you both though, was what kind of trailer do you pull. We have a timeout pop up camping trailer, and although it is advertised at weighing 250 lbs or so, we tried to weigh it and it came in alot closer to double that. That's a lot of weight to pull behind a motorcycle. Just wondering if what you pull. My husband wants to switch to a pod type trailer and pack camping gear. We've looked at uni-go, but look too small. some of the other single rear wheel types will hold a lot more. And I'm spoiled, I like my porta potti when we travel. A girls gotta do what a girls gotta do...

thanks again,
R&R
post #19 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-16-2006, 03:35 AM
Farkle Trainee

My trailer weighs in at 54Kg empty and is what people call a homebuilt, but i'm not an emetuer. it has independent suspension w/ coilover shocks performance mini mags lighweight SHS GAL chassis and fiberglass body And all lights are LED. it is roughly 450Ltr + . tows well and with the trailer virtually empty i get over 300km to the tank at a well a nice pace down the highway.
havent done many miles with the trailer fully loaded so can't say what fuel range will be.. will know after mid next mth. am doing a nice 5000km plus trip and the return trip i'll have a carton of wine or 3 in it.

i'll dig out a pic of it hooked up to the bike and post it up
post #20 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-16-2006, 05:41 AM Thread Starter
High-G FJR Junkie!

R&R, my trailer is a bit bigger than Thommo's, and it carries enough gear for two of us to camp in comfort, including a 4 man tent with annex, airbeds, 2 chairs, 1 table, fridge, toaster, kettle, light, fan heater, tool box, food bag, and 2 large bags for personal clothing.

The trailer weighs 65 Kg (143 Lb) empty, 165 Kg (364 Lb) full, and has a capacity of 600 Liters (21 Cu/FT). I don't think I would want to tow much more than that. I think you should use a Goldwing for those big camper/trailers.

The most important things to look for in a trailer, are top notch suspension, and good aerodynamics. You don't want a big flat front on the trailer to act as an airbrake.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page