Got Mirror Extensions? - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-12-2016, 11:40 AM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Got Mirror Extensions?

Hi Everyone,
Does anyone sell mirror extenders that are painted to match the 014 red color?
I like my new gloves and jacket but don't really need to check em out everytime I look in my rear views.
Are the mirror extenders a worthwhile investment?
Thx
Z
Follow up on 3/06/16: So I took the advice of several posts here.
1) I purchased the SW Motech Mirror extenders from Twisted Throttle. The bottom line for me is... THEY WORK GREAT! the extenders pushed the mirrors up and out enough to where they are completely user friendly. I have xlnt vision directly behind me. With the mirrors correctly positioned I get great side vision as well as unobstructed view to the rear. I can now use 95% of the mirror vs about 65% before.
My only gripe about the SW Motech Mirror Extenders is the finish. Instead of being smooth and polished they had these uneven lines running around them. Not impressed. I can live with the black color but if I ever want to paint match them I will need to spend a good deal of time sanding them smooth or else the paint will not look smooth and professional. I expect a lot more out of German quality, especially given that the price was high!
Summary... Function = A+ . Form = D-.

2) I purchased a set of the Adjustable Blind Spot Mirrors but given the success of the extenders have not used them.

Scott Z
Huntington Beach, CA

Jesus...the way, the truth, the life.

Toys:
2014 Yamaha FJR1300ES
Too many past motorcycles to list...

1996 Porsche 911 Carerra4 (993)

Last edited by ScooterZ; 03-06-2016 at 06:52 PM. Reason: Follow up
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-12-2016, 12:21 PM
FJR Top Gun

Its a common problem on many bikes.
Riding position has a lot to do with mirror interference. Many people ride with their elbows pointed out, parallel to the ground. Using the outside edge of the palm to support upper body weight on the bars. This position blocks most of the mirror surface with jacket and elbows.
Rotating your elbows DOWN so they are pointed at the ground is the preferred riding stance. Elbows hang loose (you can swing them around) and a very light grip on the bars. Your bar grip should be light enough that a buddy can slip a coat hanger wire between the grip and your palm. Your grip should only support the weight of your for arm. Upper body support is done with the abs.
Try it out. It take lots of practice to make it an unconscious position but it is far better for comfort and especially bike control.

AND will clear the mirrors for a better view.

Professional Mechanic
2014 Yamaha FJR
2001 Suzuki Bandit Highly modified
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-12-2016, 12:36 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I have the TT extenders........ looked OK on the '07. I didn't paint them, pretty soon you don't notice them..... 'spoze you could paint them if you liked....... they are a hard plastic.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-12-2016, 12:57 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

After much research I ended up purchasing a set of 01 to 05 FZ1 OEM mirrors from Bike Bandit, using the AMA discount. I have not received the mirrors yet, but it seems many owners preferred the FZ1 mirrors over the extenders.

2010 FJR1300 50'
2012 Super Tenere 14000 miles TRADED
2010 KTM A990 12000 miles TRADED
2009 Victory Vision 30000 miles SOLD
2009 Victory Hammer 4000 miles TRADED
2005 Victory Kingpin 45000 miles TRADED
1998 Honda Magna 37000 miles SOLD
1983 Honda Shadow 500 15000 miles SOLD (First Bike)
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-12-2016, 01:04 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

With my elbows straight down, at my sides, all I see is elbow and arm. I'm about ready to do something with them. Where does one find the TT extenders Ray? Applicable to your 2014?

Last edited by Bill Lumberg; 02-12-2016 at 01:12 PM.
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-12-2016, 01:19 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Lumberg View Post
With my elbows straight down, at my sides, all I see is elbow and arm. I'm about ready to do something with them. Where does one find the TT extenders Ray? Applicable to your 2014?
TT = twistedthrottle.com
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-12-2016, 01:26 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

So they're actually the SW Motech, sold through TT. I was looking for a TT brand. Nice product. And they're proud of it at $84 plus shipping. I doubt I'd be sorry though. Thanks.
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-12-2016, 01:56 PM
FJR Top Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Lumberg View Post
Seriously?
How far in do you have your mirrors adjusted?
All that I can see is the top and very tip of the bar end and my last knuckle in the bottom of the triangle. I just sat on the bike and looked.
I ride with my mirrors adjusted almost as far out as they will go.

Professional Mechanic
2014 Yamaha FJR
2001 Suzuki Bandit Highly modified
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-12-2016, 02:11 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilemike View Post
Seriously?
How far in do you have your mirrors adjusted?
All that I can see is the top and very tip of the bar end and my last knuckle in the bottom of the triangle. I just sat on the bike and looked.
I ride with my mirrors adjusted almost as far out as they will go.
Uh... people DO come in different sizes...

I'm 6'2 and have wide shoulders. I too enjoy the look of my elbows, even tucked firmly against my sides while riding, with the stock mirror setup.

I have the SW Motech extenders; they're just (delrin?) plastic extrusions, unpainted, which goes against OP's desires. They lift the mirrors more up than out, but it gives me a *better* view than the stock position, but I still have to peer around my elbows if I want to be able to see something that's directly to my rear.
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-12-2016, 05:34 PM
Farkle Trainee

Used FZ 1 mirrors on my '14. They're black but look pretty much stock. Certainly a much improved sight picture...no elbows or arms and I can see directly behind the bike.

It is mathematically impossible for everyone to be above average.....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page