How did MCL driver foot peg lowering kit work for you? - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-04-2016, 07:17 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

How did MCL driver foot peg lowering kit work for you?

I've done the analysis using cycle-ergos.com and it looks perfect, but a few questions if you've used these:
  1. Were you able to make adjustments to rear brake and shifter to meet your needs if any change was needed post installation--i.e., was shifting/braking adversely affected w/ install of the MCL kit?
  2. If you're scraping pegs w/ the MCL kit, what sort of chicken strip widths are on your front or rear tires?
  3. If you're not scraping pegs w/ MCL, what sort of chicken strip widths do your front and rear tires show?
  4. Did you notice a significant difference in ergos w/ them installed?
  5. Would you install them again?

Thanks in advance. I was leaning towards R1200RW and now after good test rides on both bikes I'm leaning towards FJR, with ergos being the only issue of merit for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-04-2016, 10:05 PM
Farkle Trainee

They work great. Buy em you won't be sorry.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-05-2016, 08:54 AM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
I bought them but never installed them so I would be no help. After the new seat did not need them so, if you decide you want a pair I have a pair I would sell.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-05-2016, 12:26 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I have them. Kept the tools on-board for a month, convinced I was going to drag peg feelers constantly and might have to take them off. I've never taken them off, and recently bought passenger peg lowering brackets and can guards, I've been so pleased with the rider brackets.

I lowered the shifter and the brake lever slightly. Both are easily adjusted. You can do both in 5 minutes. Zero problems, for me, utilizing shifter and brake pedal. Difference in ergonomics, for me, is huge. I have rather muscular legs, and with the stock pegs, my calf muscles were always jammed against my thigh. No such problem any more. I drag feelers occasionally, but not often, and I pretty much know when I'm laying down enough to expect it.

I'd buy them if I were you. If you don't like them, sell them. This is one where initial outlay is small enough, and the potential comfort gain is big enough, that I recommend you try them out. Buy DFS's.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-05-2016, 02:14 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfsfjr View Post
I bought them but never installed them so I would be no help. After the new seat did not need them so, if you decide you want a pair I have a pair I would sell.
I'll take them if you don't mind sending to Canada via USPS
[email protected]
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-06-2016, 02:58 PM
Farkle Trainee

1. Adjusted brake lever, made no adjustment to shifter. Shifter was too low to begin with and the lowering of the pegs takes care of that...especially when you wear fat-toed boots. You will need to angle your toe inward on both sides just a little more than you did with the oem foot rest positions.
2. *
3. *
4. Significant....possibly....I would say a good different at least. I no longer feel like I am in a crotch rocket tucked position.
5. Yes, I believe I would.

When I flat-foot the bike, I notice now that the new peg position tends to interfere with where I want to place my lower legs, so I have to be mindful of that characteristic. Also, have no big loops on your boot strings because where the pegs will be allows more opportunity for boot lace loops to get hooked behind the drag feelers when placing boot back on peg.

*I don't get in a hurry in the curves, so dragging the peg feelers is a non-issue for me.

Overall I think they are a good product. Finish is good, hardware supplied is high quality. If you don't think an inch or so will make a difference, just ask your wife.
BruceFromOz likes this.

Now: 2015 FJR1300ES

Then: 2008 FJR1300A

The optimist fell ten stories. At each window bar, he'd yell: "all right so far...."
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-06-2016, 06:52 PM
Training wheels fitted!

I have a pair, installed by a previous owner, that I took off. I don't know the brand but they lowered the pegs 1 - 1/2 inches and drug way too easy. Hope this helps.

'breeze
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-06-2016, 10:51 PM
Farkle Trainee

I had them on my Gen 3 for about 1 tank of fuel.

They did make a more comfortable knee position if/when the ache creeps in.
They made the stock seat immediately more uncomfortable
On way home from a 12hr night shift(mean a little on autopilot) I went around a down hill tight short entrance ramp (that I have gone around a hundred times before). I ground the peg so hard I really rattled myself as I was completely unprepared and had kind of forgotten about the pegs.
I found the brake and shifter doable with adj but still awkward and never used them long enough to get over having to think every time.....

I still have them and may yet at somepoint retry or keep for Looong days.

I installed MCL highway pegs and find them a good compromise. When knees get sore can stretch them out a bit (I hang my heel/heels over the pegs and sometimes only one at a time)

When I get my Seat concepts seat installed, I may have to try them again.

2014 FJR1300 B(AEO) #290 "Rootbeer metalic"
1999 C10 ( Sold May/16....Goodbye old friend)
2015 DR650

"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first and the lessons afterwards"
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-07-2016, 09:02 AM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Joe View Post
I had them on my Gen 3 for about 1 tank of fuel.

They did make a more comfortable knee position if/when the ache creeps in.
They made the stock seat immediately more uncomfortable
On way home from a 12hr night shift(mean a little on autopilot) I went around a down hill tight short entrance ramp (that I have gone around a hundred times before). I ground the peg so hard I really rattled myself as I was completely unprepared and had kind of forgotten about the pegs.
I found the brake and shifter doable with adj but still awkward and never used them long enough to get over having to think every time.....

I still have them and may yet at somepoint retry or keep for Looong days.

I installed MCL highway pegs and find them a good compromise. When knees get sore can stretch them out a bit (I hang my heel/heels over the pegs and sometimes only one at a time)

When I get my Seat concepts seat installed, I may have to try them again.

Funny, once I installed my Seat Concepts seat, I did not need them anymore.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-04-2017, 09:46 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

They worked great for me. Still using them and looking them a lot.

Sent from my XT1094 using Tapatalk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page