Installing Garauld "Stiffy" Sub-Frame Stiffener on Gen 2 and Gen 3 FJR1300 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 43Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 155 (permalink) Old 06-14-2015, 02:19 AM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Installing Garauld "Stiffy" Sub-Frame Stiffener on Gen 2 and Gen 3 FJR1300

INSTALL GARAULD TECHWORKS "STIFFY" SUB-FRAME STIFFENER ON GEN2 & GEN3 FJR1300
(2006 and up)

The rear sub-frame on Generation 2 and 3 Yamaha FJR1300 has been known to occasionally crack or break, particularly if a heavy load is placed on the tail like a top case or rack carrying in excess of about 12 pounds.

Garauld TechWorks of Binghampton NY, USA makes a beautiful retrofit bracket which significantly strengthens the susceptible part of the subframe. This should allow you to carry up to 200 pounds in your top case ... NOT!! No, you should still stick to the max 12 pounds rated limit but this will ease your mind of sub-frame breakage worries.
Gary Crowley
Garauld TechWorks LLC
[[UPDATE: Gary emailed me asking that I replace his contact info with: “You can contact Garauld by sending him a personal message on this forum – he’s a member.”]]
Installation is quite simple and could be done in as little as 15 minutes if you have experience removing the tail panels.

WHAT'S IN THE BOX

The 'Stiffy', a 1 page instruction sheet, mounting hardware, and 3 longer than stock rear deck attachment bolts.

TOOLS NEEDED:
10 mm socket or wrench
11 mm socket
11 mm wrench
4 mm hex
5 mm hex
#2 phillips screwdriver

Recommended: ball-head 4mm hex key for 2 screws under tail light.

PROCEDURE

1. Remove Rear Seat. Suggest remove front one too.

2. If you have taped the antenna for Scorpio Alarm under the tail panel, remove that from the panel.

3. Remove the 3 rear deck bolts (10 mm socket) and 2 10 mm bolts holding the 1-piece rear grab handle on, and place the handle somewhere safe.

4. Remove the 8 black plastic phillips screw type pop clips from the tail panels. To remove these, turn the 'screw' counter-clockwise about 1/4 turn until it clicks and pops out a bit. Note it's tricky as you have to let the screw pop out when turning. pull BOTH the collar and screw out together.

5. Remove the 4mm hex screws from the front sides of tail panels, 1 under the lift handle on left side, and 2 under tail light. Note the 2 under tail light are hard to get a hex key in to, so I suggest using one with the 'ball' head that works while turning at a bit of an angle.

6. Remove the 10mm bolt on top of the rear tail panel and the 4 4mm hex screws there too. Remove all 3 pieces of the tail panel. Note that the centre piece slides out rearward to disengage from the side panels. Careful!

7. Put the Stiffy on. The two holes in the flat part lay on top of the bolt holes.

I suggest loosely screwing in the two bolts at the rear holes to properly place the bracket before attaching it at the front.
NOTE: The two holes in the rear of the Stiffy are pretty much exactly the same size as the bolts that go through them. If the holes are not EXACTLY lined up, you may have difficulty getting the bolts in and out. Two days after installing the Stiffy I have decided that I will drill those holes out a little bigger next time I have a chance so that some day I won't be stuck not being able to get the topcase or backrest bracket on because of a tiny shift causing the holes to not line up. The Stiffy's front "L" brackets are held on with 11mm bolts, and there is no 11 mm wrench in the FJR toolkit, so a roadside adjustment would not be possible.

8. Insert the supplied 11mm head bolts through the Stiffy at the front end, on each side. Put the spacer on, then the “L” shaped bracket so the bottom of the L goes under the bike’s frame rail, then secure with the 11mm nylon locknuts. Make sure the two bracket bolts at the rear turn freely, and if they don’t, loosen the front brackets and adjust Stiffy position so the two deck bolts turn freely when front L-Brackets are tightened.

Re-install the 3 pieces of tail panels and the tail panel. If you have an alarm antenna, tape it back up under the panels.

Like it says in the instructions, you may want or need to trim down the foam piece to make way for the extra space the Stiffy takes up. I did not trim this foam, and it went together fairly nicely.

Before re-installing the grab rail, put on the 3rd supplied spacer in the centre hole. To hold it in place, I put a couple small pieces of 2-sided tape on it first. You want that spacer to stay there except when removing the tail panels again.

When finished, the installed ‘Stiffy’ is barely noticeable.

You are now ready to confidently add your topcase adapter or maybe Pirate’s Lair backrest. Whatever you put on, you will no longer have to worry about the subframe cracking.

FJRChuck, Barry58, Dahl and 3 others like this.

Geoff Falconar
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Edmonton, Canada
2013 FJR1300
2006 YZF-R1 50th Anniv.
1999 Ninja ZX-9R

Last edited by sBandit; 06-14-2015 at 01:15 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 155 (permalink) Old 06-14-2015, 10:54 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

TIP: make sure you read and re-read the instructions. 1 part says something like "if the bolts don't fit, file the holes". Make sure everything fits before attempting to install. I drilled the holes out rather than file. It would have taken me forever if I hadn't.
Matches likes this.

Russ
2007A

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 155 (permalink) Old 06-14-2015, 12:50 PM
Farkle Trainee

Great write-up. $$??? For the bracket??

2006 Cobalt Blue FJR1300
Throttle Meister
MV Riser Plate
Pirate's Lair Backrest
Spencer Mod Seat
Cal Sci Large Windscreen
MCL Lowering Passenger Pegs
T-Rex Sliders & Luggage Guards
RAM GPS & Phone Mounts
Michelin PR4s
Some Cheap Blue Leds

post #4 of 155 (permalink) Old 06-14-2015, 01:17 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FineJollyRide View Post
Great write-up. $$??? For the bracket??
The bracket w/hardware plus shipping was $109 total.

Russ
2007A

post #5 of 155 (permalink) Old 06-14-2015, 05:12 PM
Farkle Trainee

Great write-up and photos. This is one of my near future farkles along with Gary's large luggage rack. I don't do top cases.
Qwik likes this.

Now: 2015 FJR1300ES

Then: 2008 FJR1300A

The optimist fell ten stories. At each window bar, he'd yell: "all right so far...."
post #6 of 155 (permalink) Old 06-14-2015, 10:28 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbentnail View Post
TIP: make sure you read and re-read the instructions. 1 part says something like "if the bolts don't fit, file the holes". Make sure everything fits before attempting to install. I drilled the holes out rather than file. It would have taken me forever if I hadn't.
Mine bolted right in.

2013 FJR1300A
1984 GPz750
Series III fairing removal:

post #7 of 155 (permalink) Old 06-15-2015, 12:04 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Garage
Awesome!

Motorcycles I've Owned:
------------------------
1972 Suzuki TS185
1975 Honda CB360
1982 Yamaha SR 500
2014 Yamaha FJR1300
post #8 of 155 (permalink) Old 06-15-2015, 05:31 PM
Training wheels fitted!

Garage
Great how to thread!!! I would like to add my experience with installing the kit. When I would tighten down the L brackets to the frame it would cause the rear holes not to line up correctly. I then loosened them and put the rear bolts in, in an attempt to maintain the alignment. When I tightened the L brackets with the bolts in, it put them in such a bind I couldn't remove them without damaging the threads. I ended up drilling out the rear holes on the stiffy. This corrected my alignment issues and am very happy with this mod.
post #9 of 155 (permalink) Old 06-27-2015, 09:41 AM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to Ablumny Send a message via Skype™ to Ablumny
Heading out on a long trip with the factory top case loaded. Read this write up and immediately order the kit from Gary. He had previously painted my top case for me and did a nice job on that.

Received the kit yesterday, again, nice work and it went in a smoothly as described. Feel better now!

Thanks for this writer and thanks Gary for supporting the team!
Andrew
post #10 of 155 (permalink) Old 06-27-2015, 12:25 PM
Farkle Trainee

I can't seem to find a web page for them to order the part.
Is it call in only?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page