FJR Owners Forum banner

Givi E55 vs E52 vs V47

16K views 31 replies 17 participants last post by  Kiwiaudio 
#1 ·
So, I've been wracking my brain trying to decide which would be the best option for a top case, and I'm seriously coming up blank. I'm considering size, appearance, and ease of hooking up a light kit.

As the E52 doesn't have the lights on the lid of the case, it would be much easier to install. Also it has by FAR the largest most visible reflector of the three. I would also be putting reflective stickers on it as well.

The V47 looks the sharpest, but has the least capacity. Also, lights on the lid.

The E55 would seem to be the obvious choice, but it's also pretty dang HUGE, and if I want to wire brake lights, Id need to run the wire up the back and across the lid. I also have heard several accounts of E55's taking flight after hitting a heavy bump, and the plastic on the bottom having actually broken.

Now, I am most likely going to be leaving the top box ON most of the time, so I can throw things like my helmet and jacket in it when I go into places. It'll also provide a good place to keep a rain suit, and any other needed things.

I know it's going to be a six of one and half a dozen of another type of deal, but I want to get it right the first time.

See less See more
#2 ·
I have an E52 and would like to have the E55, I can never have enough room. I have had my E52 on 5 different bikes and never a problem with it coming off. I installed a light kit from Admore lighting and it is running, turn and brake lights.

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/admore-lighting-led-kit-for-givi-e52-topcase

I would go with the E55 myself, I am not worried how big it looks or is.

#3 ·
Well, I've got the E55 simply because of size. It only stays on for trips when I'll be gone a week or more, so I don't really care about looks, but I think it looks OK. I haven't bothered with lights.

And it's not fallen off and skidded down the highway even once ;)

Some people say the top box will affect the handling negatively, but truthfully, I can barely tell the difference with it on or off. I do limit the weight to about 25 pounds.

#4 ·
Givi Top Boxes

I too had the same problem, attempting to determine which top box to purchase from Givi! I went with the V47 Monokey and love it to death. Just enough room for my helmet and other stuff, and not too big. No problem with handling or staying on. I also purchased the light kit, but I didn't feel comfortable snapping into the wiring harness so I just wired up a 9v transistor battery and velcroed the battery to the top underside of the lid. I use the lights now as "running lights" figuring I can always wired it up to the brake wiring later.

#5 ·
The admore kit just plugs in, which I like. Definitely a lot more comfortable and reversible than splicing.

Most likely I'll keep the tail case on a lot for a "trunk" to put things in that I want to always have with me. The side cases are nice and all, but not super huge, and they are more appropriate for heavier things.

and sure the e55 is bigger capacity wise, but I almost like the shape of the E52 better, as it looks like you can fully use the space more efficiently. Also the lighting available on the E 52 is massive, and no one is gonna miss me with that. But, it doesn't modulate when braking, which is one thing I really would like it to do.

#7 ·
+1 for the Admore kit to plug and play the wiring harness to bike and the 47 box. With the leds it lights up well and looks good.

#9 ·
I'm not sure about the 47 but the 46 Givi I had used a different lid closing system that intruded into the compartment and used up some of your storage space, and I had a hard time fitting my jacket and full faced helmet in there.
>
I have had two 52's now and hook the lights on the lid up to the brake lights and love that system as I am really paranoid about getting rear ended. The Admore kit would be preferable, of course, but the Givi light kit came with my top box.
>
I haven't had a 55 so really can't comment. I buy used and one never came up on Ebay. I myself LOVE the look of the FJR with a top box, and actually think thy don't look quite right without one.
>

#10 ·
The E52 just seems to have more lighting possibilities, and wiring would be simpler. I haven't ordered anything yet, except for the givi rack which I installed. I like the idea of having steel grab bars and a solid rack, instead of the plastic thing. also being able to safely load up to 20lbs is nice.

#12 ·
Well, I just turned around and think the E55 is the best now. The 52 almost has too much lighting, and doesn't brake modulate. I think the arrays on the E55 would be more visible during the day, and at night I'll have reflective stickers on it. Also it has the most room, so I could easily put jacket and helmet inside it. It also is a little bit more exciting looking than the E52. also looks like the E55 has things to hold the case open.

now I need to start planning where I'm going to ride to in the spring.

#15 ·
My E55 doesn't have anything to hold the case open, but maybe it's not the same case you're looking at. I've uttered a few dirty words when the case has blown shut while I've got my noggin in there browsing around for something ;)

I've intended to email Givi to see if something's available, and I always forget. Maybe I'll do that right now.

#13 ·
I went with the Givi 47 and replaced the stock grab bars with the Givi rack. I leave the top case on most of the time and it's a nice size. I have a 2xl helmet and can't see how I can fit two helmets in it, but not much need for that now.

#23 ·
I have both the 33 and 46 sizes of the Trekker model and I like them a lot. They are both rectangular in shape and the 33 is ideal for taking my large laptop to work, fits perfectly.

Dan

#17 ·
Here's what mine looks like opened. It's a Maxia 3, though, because I didn't go for the lights or remote entry. Maybe they offer something better.

But that hinge-type thing to the side just keeps it from opening too far. Even sitting on that level bench it's on, it won't stay open.

I've emailed for more info. I'll let you know what I find out.

#18 ·
I received the following reply from Givi, but I honestly don't remember it ever staying open. At any rate, I wouldn't have thought it's not been used enough to wear out.

Emails are on their web page.

Replacements have been discontinued but if you call Mark in our Charlotte office he can tell you how to regain the hinge pressure necessary to get them to stay.

Thank you for inquiring about GIVI products!

#19 ·
Maxia 3 looks best. Just the standard one, though I think I'll get the rubber padded liner for the inside. IT'll probably help hide the wires better. Now I've gotta figure out how to make the wiring stick to the top of the case. Good thing I've got a bunch of black RTV silicone!

#25 · (Edited)
I have had the E55 case on my FJR since early 2011. My riding is frequently on dirt, goat trail poorly maintained patched roadway, as well as normal highways and Interstates. I have done 3 major long-distance trips coast to coast with this case.

Coming off: Never happened for me. I bought a clevis pin kit, but never installed it. The case does a fair amount of bouncing and moving around on rough roads, but the mount is firm.

Travel: I remove the case and bring it into hotel rooms, and enjoy riding without it on days I don't need to carry gear. This is where the laptop computer lives, along with top priority rain gear, insulating layers and a few tools. At gatherings, this is the case known to be able to carry a case of beer. It has a lot of room, and with the right mounting hardware can carry the load without a problem.

Lights: I added the Admore lights. Great kit, and really helps visibility with running lights, brighter red brake lights, and yellow turn and hazard signals. Fragile 5 pin connector. I need to replace it as I have bent and broken a couple pins. Not a GIVI problem, but an inconvenience.

Aerodynamics: All top cases can result in handling issues at high speeds with crosswinds or heavy truck traffic. When traveling a long way, fill the space behind the rider, and in front of the case with a small roll, waterproof duffel or passenger, and the problem goes away. I have had this case well north of 3-digit speeds on numerous occasions, and I'm here to tell about it.

Good luck. You can tuck your AWACS inside this, or travel without worrying where you'll stash something on a long tour.

#26 ·
Thanks for the comment on the roll for the back seat. I have also been looking at water proof roll bags to put there, probably around 40L capacity. I had also heard that it's good to have something there to avoid stability issues. I've also heard that the admore connector, while advertised as being super robust, leaves something to be desired.

I won't be doing any touring until the spring, so most likely the farkle pictures will need to wait until then, unless I get super motivated.

#27 ·
The stability issue is the main reason I mounted my Givi adaptor plate on a deck that hovers over the passenger seat. I have a small rack behind it for lightweight extras like a soft cooler.

It was a royal PITA to make it, all hand work and it was slow and tedious but well worth it in the end.

Dan

#28 ·
I got the E55NA and SR357 and recently installed them. I like it so far but haven't had it on a trip yet (weather). My first reaction to the E55 was that is seems a little flimsy but its solid enough and it keeps the weight down so I'm happy. More than enough room for two XL's in there. Mine came with rubber lanyards instead of a hinge and does have trouble staying open even on flat ground with the slightest breeze. The craftsmansip was good but the plastic under the reflectors still had mold lines where it didn't come out clean. A little shotty in my opinion but I'm trying to not be so anal about every little thing so I'm dealing. Super happy with the SR 357. Good solid mount and I don't mind that the grab rails are round/black powder coat. It's much more stable (but not as pretty) as the stock red rails. I was afraid of it looking too huge since I planned to leave it on full time. I'm a big guy and it doesn't look too huge to me. Will install Admore light kit in the spring but I'll probably not order the color matched lid or backrest. I like the black and the wife says she doesn't think she'll need the backrest although she may change her mind after a long ride. We'll see.

#30 ·
I'm leaning heavily towards the E55 Maxia, but I have several concerns that make me wonder if production might be happening somewhere else now, or production control is maybe not what it should be ?
Maybe the weather seal needs a while to fully seat, break-in, whatever ?

This comment on the Revzilla site:

"The new e55 case doesn't latch nearly as well as the older cases did. There are two small pieces that click in place when the lid is closed. I've had the case in place for a couple weeks and it has opened up once already. The older box I owned had a substantial lock which never popped open. I was expecting more from Givi. Even the fit and finish isn't what I expected. There are gaps in the plastic and the pieces still have ridges and lines from the molds."

This guy struggled too:
"Also, it is surprisingly difficult to close the lid all the way until it snaps shut, unless you are standing behind and above your bike, which position gives you added leverage. Where I park in my apartment building, there is a wall right behind the bike, and it is not easy to get my arm in there at the right angle to put the force necessary on the lid to close it all the way. That really ought to be easier. (I go to the gym and am in reasonably good shape, and shutting the lid on this case has stressed the muscle at my sternum. That was really surprising!)"

This cool video shows a guy closing the lid easily with one finger, after remotely opening it.

This video has Anthony from Revzilla pushing hard to close it, but he is able to open it easily:

Im also hearing that the maxia lid stays are sometimes just cheesy straps and sometimes metallic tension bars ?

Whats going on here ?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.