Under-Seat Battery Relocate - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 48 (permalink) Old 11-19-2020, 12:08 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Under-Seat Battery Relocate

Playing with my new-to-me '08 and noticed the battery was perfectly sized to sit in the largest under-seat compartment, so moved it yesterday. *The FJR's battery was an AGM that had "Do Not Tilt" on the back, so used the sealed battery from my '06 FZ1 that was considerably thicker, but still fit. A sealed FJR battery would fit even better.

Didn't find any other posts on this, so snapped a few pics.

It was an experiment so I didn't cut cables, just extended them, didn't alter anything permanently. Made sure to pad the battery and extended the stock rubber tie-down strap with an o-ring.

Didn't even remove the tank, just slid the extending wires down the right side. Next step would be to professionalize the connections and wire routing.

Made a fourth plastic "wall" so the stock battery box is now a sealed storage unit, and then replaced the screw and push-pin fasteners on the stock battery box beauty panel with finger fasteners for quicker access...used a 6mm contained nut on the lower push-pin hole.

Won't pretend that I moved it because of "mass centralization" or anything that esoteric...I'm sure it helps but mainly I moved it for easier access and less fiddling with electrical connections. Plus, it's fun, creates an accessible storage unit, and the under-seat tray seemed to scream, "put the battery here where it belongs!".
Attached Images
File Type: jpg battery 2.jpg (213.0 KB, 79 views)
File Type: jpg Battery 4.jpg (168.7 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg Battery 1.jpg (189.0 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg Battery 3.jpg (138.4 KB, 50 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 (permalink) Old 11-19-2020, 02:18 PM
FJR Top Gun

That's awesome. Wonder why mama Yamaha didn't do that to begin with ?

SW Ohio
2018 Yamaha FJR 1300A
2014 Honda CB1100 DLX

It doesn't matter what I ride, where I ride, how fast I ride, or how far I ride... it only matters THAT I RIDE...EVERY DAY. "Ferret"
post #3 of 48 (permalink) Old 11-19-2020, 02:56 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

I like this conversion for the accessibility but I'm thinking it will stay cooler where Yamaha put it.

Last edited by justacrossthehill; 11-19-2020 at 03:02 PM.

post #4 of 48 (permalink) Old 11-19-2020, 04:30 PM
Training wheels fitted!

Some of the FJR Police bikes have the 2nd battery(for all of the additional lighting and radios) under the seat similar to what you did with yours
post #5 of 48 (permalink) Old 11-19-2020, 05:39 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Temp...

Quote:
Originally Posted by justacrossthehill View Post
I like this conversion for the accessibility but I'm thinking it will stay cooler where Yamaha put it.
Agree...and didn't even think of battery temp. The FZ1 battery is wedged into the under-seat components but wrapped in a full-circumference heat cloth...I'm going to monitor the temp on the FJR and might replicate the heat-cloth wrap if needed. Will know more soon as it's riding weather in CO today and I'm off for a "test".
post #6 of 48 (permalink) Old 11-19-2020, 07:21 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Garage
Well done!

There are countless numbers of motorcycles on the road with the battery mounted under the seat and over heating does not seem to be an issue.
spectreman likes this.

Kevin
The Outpost, Silver City, MT
2018 Ural Gear Up, 2017 R1200GSA
post #7 of 48 (permalink) Old 11-19-2020, 09:05 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

You did a good job of it, for sure. I get it, but on a Gen2 the battery is easily accessible... Gen3 is more fiddly, Gen1 maybe too but I have limited experience there.
You have to remove both seats to get to the battery, really any time savings on Gen2? I'd rather have the underseat storage, but that's my opinion. I keep stuff there.
So what's the original battery compartment going to be used for?

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
post #8 of 48 (permalink) Old 11-19-2020, 09:10 PM
FJR Top Gun

He added a wall and made a storage compartment

SW Ohio
2018 Yamaha FJR 1300A
2014 Honda CB1100 DLX

It doesn't matter what I ride, where I ride, how fast I ride, or how far I ride... it only matters THAT I RIDE...EVERY DAY. "Ferret"
post #9 of 48 (permalink) Old 11-19-2020, 09:45 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

True, a lot of bikes have the battery mounted under the seat but the FJR has a thick heat shield over the engine to restrict the upward flow of heat. My question is if it can't go upward then where does it go? If the bike is moving forward the heat isn't likely to go forward, and due to the nature of heat, it isn't likely to move downward so what is left? Yamaha put a big open area there for some reason.
This is pure speculation on my part and is probably totally wrong but that's the way I see it.

Last edited by justacrossthehill; 11-19-2020 at 09:51 PM.
post #10 of 48 (permalink) Old 11-19-2020, 10:53 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by justacrossthehill View Post
True, a lot of bikes have the battery mounted under the seat but the FJR has a thick heat shield over the engine to restrict the upward flow of heat. My question is if it can't go upward then where does it go? If the bike is moving forward the heat isn't likely to go forward, and due to the nature of heat, it isn't likely to move downward so what is left? Yamaha put a big open area there for some reason.
This is pure speculation on my part and is probably totally wrong but that's the way I see it.
Yep, totally wrong. Natural convection occurs in nearly static (non-moving) conditions. Heat WILL readily move downward when the bike is in motion- everyone with a heating system in the attic will confirm this.

Russ
2007A

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page