Under-Seat Battery Relocate - Page 3 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 48 (permalink) Old 11-20-2020, 09:40 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by justacrossthehill View Post
I carry a 4mm ball driver in my tank bag and can be at the battery faster than you can spit.
Yep, 2 screws and 2 push rivets and I'm at the battery. I don't get it.
justacrossthehill likes this.

bike X miles=smiles
smiles bike=miles
smiles miles=bike.
It's simple math.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 48 (permalink) Old 11-20-2020, 11:42 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dravnx View Post
Yep, 2 screws and 2 push rivets and I'm at the battery. I don't get it.
If I looked at a bike for sale and saw the battery had been relocated I wouldn't walk away, I'd be running.
post #23 of 48 (permalink) Old 11-21-2020, 01:49 AM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by justacrossthehill View Post
If I looked at a bike for sale and saw the battery had been relocated I wouldn't walk away, I'd be running.
Interesting, and what makes the world go around.
From my perspective, I had to try the relocate idea because when I brought the FJR home I just couldn't believe the battery was forward and high. Seemed an afterthought, like "Crap, we gotta fit the battery in somewhere."
As I started to add Battery Tender and vest wiring, trying to route it down to the seat or stuff it in around the battery I was even less impressed. Read about different wiring blocks that FJR owners put under the seat, read about fuse doohickies...might still need those if I add lighting or etc, but now my needs are met with lots of room.
Last thought: Because this FJR is a keeper, I had to try moving the battery. I mean, what if someone saw that my bike had a battery mounted far from the center of mass????
passx likes this.

post #24 of 48 (permalink) Old 11-21-2020, 02:04 AM
Trainee Sport Tourer

It's your bike, if you're happy with it, that's all that matters.
Ludwig61 likes this.
post #25 of 48 (permalink) Old 11-21-2020, 08:25 AM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForJoyRider View Post
Interesting, and what makes the world go around.
From my perspective, I had to try the relocate idea because when I brought the FJR home I just couldn't believe the battery was forward and high. Seemed an afterthought, like "Crap, we gotta fit the battery in somewhere."
As I started to add Battery Tender and vest wiring, trying to route it down to the seat or stuff it in around the battery I was even less impressed. Read about different wiring blocks that FJR owners put under the seat, read about fuse doohickies...might still need those if I add lighting or etc, but now my needs are met with lots of room.
Last thought: Because this FJR is a keeper, I had to try moving the battery. I mean, what if someone saw that my bike had a battery mounted far from the center of mass????
My personal preference would be a second glove box and the battery under the seat.

2018 FRJ1300ES Matte Cobalt Metallic Blue
post #26 of 48 (permalink) Old 11-21-2020, 08:58 AM
Trainee Sport Tourer

that location is directly on top of CPU....do you really want that 10# weight on there ? not to mention if it ever leaks ...?
justacrossthehill likes this.

the-fix 2009AE

Last edited by jasonm.; 11-21-2020 at 09:00 AM.
post #27 of 48 (permalink) Old 11-21-2020, 10:11 AM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonm. View Post
that location is directly on top of CPU....do you really want that 10# weight on there ? not to mention if it ever leaks ...?
ECU but good point.

bike X miles=smiles
smiles bike=miles
smiles miles=bike.
It's simple math.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #28 of 48 (permalink) Old 11-21-2020, 12:09 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonm. View Post
Good point, and thought of it but noticed that the ECU has nothing underneath it, so weight in the storage tray would not rest on the ECU, but simply move it lower. I could not see any deflection in the storage tray from the weight of the battery...and that was with the thicker/heavier FZ1 battery.

The leak risk is real but the manufacturers trust the batteries in this location, plus the storage tray is plastic so has a good chance of containing the acid without much damage.

I do miss fiddling with the battery in the stock location, trying to get the screws out, the little floppy vertical arm released as my fingers risk getting cut by all the sharp edges while I finagle the battery out without dropping something on the painted fairing surface .5mm away while the cables catch on the edges of the slick battery case that threatens to slip or pull my wrist tendons loose in my skinny-little arms that are barely able to pull that heavy battery from that ridiculous location.
passx and Sefto like this.
post #29 of 48 (permalink) Old 11-21-2020, 02:42 PM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spratty View Post
Keep asking the questions, too get more opinion / idea / knowledge / perspective .. for instance, relating to this situation, I once went on a charity ride for cancer about 10 years ago , specifically prostrate and colon cancer in men. The organizers were very grateful about our participation , as , at that time anyway motorcycle riders had a slightly higher , or more than slightly higher risk than the general population. The real question was why, and while there may be a infinite number of reasons , one possible theory floated at the time was a possible connection to sitting directory above the battery , for long periods of time , not my theory, but it was out there . I never did hear or read any more about this, but also honestly never did look.
Sitting for long periods of time increases the chance of prostate cancer. Glendon Swarthout wrote The Shootist after finding out that truck drivers have an elevated risk of prostate cancer, and betting that the same risk would apply to people who spent a long time in the saddle.
FastPappy likes this.

2016 Yamaha FRJ1300ES getting set up!
2005 Yamaha FJR1300AT soon for sale
1981 Kawasaki KZ1100 - Gone
1974 Kawasaki Z1 - Gone
post #30 of 48 (permalink) Old 11-26-2020, 06:01 AM
Trainee Sport Tourer

AGM batteries have regular sulfuric acid in them and are NOT designed to be resting on their "wide sides". As the AIR bubble is not in the optimum spot. Lithium and or GEL battery is better for this.

the-fix 2009AE

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page