CB Radio - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-09-2020, 11:19 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

CB Radio

I have a Sena 50R headset and would like to add a CB to 2014 FJR A. Anyone done this? What parts?
Ishkatan likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-10-2020, 06:56 AM
Training wheels fitted!

You will need the Sena SR10 Two-way Radio Adapter.

http://www.buysena.com/sr10-10.html?sc=24&category=4481

Fred

2015 FJR-ES

"The world is a book. Those who do not travel read only a page."
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-10-2020, 09:36 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I ran a Honda/Clarion CB (meant for the original Valkerie) since my '03 was new. I did it because I was coming of a 3-bike stint of Gold Wings that came with them.

The last time I was on the open road, it was useless with all the non-truckers practicing their cussing (no traffic info of use the whole time). I sold it off this summer. The FRS and other intercom/bike-to-bike coms that are more selective would seem preferred now-a-days.
N4HHE likes this.

Ridden wet. Put up hard.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-10-2020, 06:37 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

CB has been a dump for a long time. Perhaps you ride with others who use CB? I see no other excuse. GWRRA used to be big on CB in their rides.

The high end of amateur radio hand-helds include Bluetooth. I havenít bothered to upgrade my HT to use one on FJR. Needless to say with a call sign like N4HHE I find amateur radio much more useful than CB?
bounce and 2GENAE like this.

2018 F-150 XLT SuperCab 4x4 2.7L
2016 FJR1300A
2016 Beta 430 RS
2016 Subaru Outback
2013 Tesla Model S 85
2009 Husaberg FE450
1983 Porsche 928S
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-10-2020, 10:26 PM
Farkle Trainee

I use a J&M CB2003 for communication with other riders and to feed the audio output of my Garmin Zumo to my Helmet. I carry tunes on the Garmin for the many dead zones in the western USA. Have been using this configuration for 15+ years. There is a lot less chatter on the CB these days, but I have still used it to get road conditions. The J&M also has weather radio.

My brother feeds XM (via Garmin) thru his J&M CB. It is a shame Garmin has removed XM and MP3 player support from its GPSs over time. I have a mixer that supports 4 inputs, but rarely mount it.
two_wheeled likes this.

2016 Yamaha FJR1300 (Cobalt Blue)
1973 Honda CL350 (Red)
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-10-2020, 10:47 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by N4HHE View Post
CB has been a dump for a long time. Perhaps you ride with others who use CB? I see no other excuse. GWRRA used to be big on CB in their rides.

The high end of amateur radio hand-helds include Bluetooth. I havenít bothered to upgrade my HT to use one on FJR. Needless to say with a call sign like N4HHE I find amateur radio much more useful than CB?
DITTO on CB unless others have it for intercom otherwise get a Radar Detector. My call sign KG5HBI but no way I want to listen to Ham operators while riding. YMMV
N4HHE likes this.

1986 FJ 1200
2008 FJR 1300AE
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-11-2020, 09:10 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by N4HHE View Post

The high end of amateur radio hand-helds include Bluetooth. I haven’t bothered to upgrade my HT to use one on FJR. Needless to say with a call sign like N4HHE I find amateur radio much more useful than CB?
Preach it! My biggest mistake was not getting my ham license during the time I was on leave after 05C Army training (radio, teletype, Morse) and before getting shipped overseas. At 26 groups-a-minute in (hand copied with a pencil) and over 30 out (manual key), I was in much better shape to pass than I would be now. Back when CB licenses were a thing, my call sign was KBHM0207.

J&M is another soap box. I was exposed to them enough as part of GWRRA [and their shenanigans with Wing World where the owner was included in a "test review" ride and it was never mentioned the potential conflict (presented as if the owner was just another Joe along for the test)]. Their treatment of customers was unacceptable and why I'd never give them money.
N4HHE and 2GENAE like this.

Ridden wet. Put up hard.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by bounce; 10-11-2020 at 09:15 AM.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-11-2020, 11:26 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bounce View Post
Preach it! My biggest mistake was not getting my ham license during the time I was on leave after 05C Army training (radio, teletype, Morse) and before getting shipped overseas. At 26 groups-a-minute in (hand copied with a pencil) and over 30 out (manual key), I was in much better shape to pass than I would be now. Back when CB licenses were a thing, my call sign was KBHM0207.
The requirement for Morse code was dropped, even for Extra class.
bounce and 2GENAE like this.

2018 F-150 XLT SuperCab 4x4 2.7L
2016 FJR1300A
2016 Beta 430 RS
2016 Subaru Outback
2013 Tesla Model S 85
2009 Husaberg FE450
1983 Porsche 928S
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-12-2020, 12:10 AM
Farkle Trainee

I've had J&M units on two bikes and they worked very well for me. The speakers, volume and clarity were better than I've experienced with any of my bluetooth headsets. Admittedly, however, CB is old and not used much anymore but I was/am very happy with mine--though it doesn't get used anymore.

-Steve in Phx
IBA# 61624
2007 FJR1300AE
2000 Honda XR650L (bought new)

...and a bunch of other dirt bikes
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-15-2020, 06:33 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

I'm the original poster. I know CB's are dead, but I ride with a couple of groups that use CB's while we ride. We were formerly HOG groups but the HOG chapter disbanded and several of us ended up with non-Harley bikes, like my FJR.
2GENAE likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page