19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-16-2020, 10:23 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

"Ride with a couple..."

Gwrra?

[Editing to clarify the question]

Ridden wet. Put up hard.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by bounce; 10-18-2020 at 11:10 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-16-2020, 12:25 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by bounce View Post
Gwrra?
Gold Wing Road Riders Association

1986 FJ 1200
2008 FJR 1300AE
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-16-2020, 03:47 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdcowboy View Post
I'm the original poster. I know CB's are dead, but I ride with a couple of groups that use CB's while we ride. We were formerly HOG groups but the HOG chapter disbanded and several of us ended up with non-Harley bikes, like my FJR.
Buy this to connect your Sena headset to CB radio.
http://www.buysena.com/sr10-10.html?sc=23&category=4481

They haven't changed them physically since they first released them years ago, so you can find a functioning used one and update the firmware. They can run off 12V, so no need to worry if the battery doesn't hold a charge anymore.

I normally use a GMRS radio when riding with a small group of friends, but have a Cobra HH38WXST that will plug into the SR10 with the same cable that is used with my Baofeng GMRS. I'll use the CB when I'm by myself riding interstate more as entertainment than anything else. Everything can clip to your tank bag, or you can remote mount an antenna if you want to spend the time mounting everything and getting the antenna up higher. This would give you better range.

HH38WXST runs off 12v as well, or a bunch of batteries (8 AA if I remember correctly).

Normally a few HH38WXST units on the used market.

This cable plugs into the Cobra HH38WXST.
http://www.buysena.com/sc-a0110.html...&category=4481
It is listed as Kenwood, but pins are same on Cobra. At least for the older models. You will have to do some checking to verify it will plug in if going to the newer HH50.

Lots of choices in online sales for the SR10 and cables. Shop around.

FYI, if you will be running everything off 12V, you will need to put in some ground loop isolation, or you will have a lot of noise.
Ishkatan and Jdcowboy like this.

'14 FJR1300ES

post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-17-2020, 10:28 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2GENAE View Post
Gold Wing Road Riders Association

I wasn't asking what it was (I have been chapter staff) I was asking if that was who was being talked around coyly.

Ridden wet. Put up hard.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-17-2020, 11:36 AM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by bounce View Post
I wasn't asking what it was (I have been chapter staff) I was asking if that was who was being talked around coyly.
Copy that but can't read your mind :-) your posted the letters and ?
bounce and BOAN like this.

1986 FJ 1200
2008 FJR 1300AE
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-18-2020, 11:11 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2GENAE View Post
Copy that but can't read your mind :-) your posted the letters and ?

Gotcha. Fixed it.
2GENAE likes this.

Ridden wet. Put up hard.

post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-18-2020, 02:12 PM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Another handheld CB choice from the Goldwing group: Midland 75-822
https://www.theglforum.com/forum/mot...ctory-cb-radio

He makes a great point too - the point of CB on a bike is not to chat with the truckers but chat with other riders in a group. He gives a 1/2 mile range for the hand held - seems more than enough for me.

The CB solutions have good "group talk range" but are pricy. I want something that I can pair with my $10 WMT Bluetooth ear buds and give a set of these $10 buds to my riding buddy for whom communication has always been shouting while standing at a red light. If anyone has any WiFi PTT applications they recommend for cell phones please jump in.... Be nice if the PTT screen worked in conjunction with Google maps...

(The $10 ONN buds from WMT work really well with my cell phone for music and hearing Google. Wind noise is an issue on a phone call. Need to experiment with tucking the microphone in the helmet cheek.)

Push to Talk (PTT) is great for that since you always have your ears on but are not transmitting wind noise but it is a PIA if not at your finger tips when you want your hands on the handlebars. The Sienna button at $200 is pricy. We really need a throat mike or better way to activate the microphone... Maybe a "CB Talk" command in a phone PTT app could activate the mike for 3-5 seconds or keep the mic on while you are talking....

Fix our dysfunctional government - vote!

"Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!" - Ronald Ragean, President of the USA, Republican.
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-19-2020, 08:55 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I tired VOX on several solutions without good results. Turned them all off and went to PTT. I know someone who used a throat mic (like GIs in movies). Gives a little lower freq to the voice (more bass) but bucks wind the best if you're into that.

Ridden wet. Put up hard.

post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-19-2020, 11:05 AM
Trainee Sport Tourer

The CB isn't used as much by truckers anymore, but most have them in the trucks anyway.

As for motorcycles, I see a lot of bashing of the CB on most bike forums. You know, get up to date with BT and Mesh Communication, and all that mumbo jumbo.

Well, the REAL truth is, the much maligned, outdated, CB is STILL the best bike to bike communication idea. The reason is that it works for GROUPS. Neither BT or MESH, and all the different brands on the market have universality use, i.e., they don't talk between mfgrs. That is a HUGE problem for group riders that have different brands. Heck, Harley even forces you to HAVE to buy their Harley Sena Unit if you want STEREO sound from your Harley BOOM Infotainment System, otherwise a regular Sena 20 unit only gets mono sound from the System.]

So, until all the manufacturers et together and start making their communications units" technology compatible, the CB is the ONLY device that works for GROUPS of multiple riders( I mean over 4 riders, but even the 4 riders must have the same brand).
bounce likes this.
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-19-2020, 11:13 AM
Farkle Trainee

I don't hear much chatter any more on the CB except around the trucking depots and on the road when there is a slowdown. I normally monitor the CB with the squelch turned up so only strong signals come thru and override my music. When riding in groups, you generally have a strong signal as others are within a half mile. I have a bike mounted antenna, so my range is good.

The CB is old tech, but works universally.

2016 Yamaha FJR1300 (Cobalt Blue)
1973 Honda CL350 (Red)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page