• 1 Post By Dale I
  • 2 Post By Al Barth
  • 1 Post By zwartie

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-03-2020, 12:55 PM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Garage
Bracket For Rear R-Gaza Bars

A recent post by Zwartie got me thinking about a bracket to relocate the rear saddlebag R-Gaza bars. My pillion didn't mention a problem with the original design, but could (sometimes) feel the bar on the back of her calf. Knowing from longer distance rides that a non-issue can become a real problem over time I decided to fab up some similar brackets and rotate the bars slightly up and back.

In the thread that Zwartie posted he mounted the bars on top of the bracket. My install mounted the bars behind the bracket. I found that mounting them behind the bracket allowed the end of the bracket to be brought slightly forward, allowing me to stand them up just a bit more.

There was also a request for a bracket diagram from Zwartie, so I will supply one from my experiment and a brief explanation after the pics. Those interested can find the details there.

Here are my results:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20201003_065824.jpg (241.3 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg 20201003_065811.jpg (201.1 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg 20201003_065828.jpg (183.5 KB, 21 views)
BOAN and 2GENAE like this.

"The only barrier to knowledge is the belief that you have it."
2008 Yamaha FJR1300AE
2002 Honda ST1100
...fully farkled.

Last edited by Dale I; 10-05-2020 at 06:12 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-03-2020, 12:56 PM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Garage
Making the Bracket

I used 3/8” plate for the bracket. I used 8mm hardware and drilled the holes using a 21/64” (8.33mm) bit. You could use a 11/32” (8.73mm) bit if you didn’t have bits in the 64ths range.

Fairly simple, cut a 4-1/4” by 1-3/4” rectangle. I wait to cut the angles until after I have drilled the bottom two holes because a square plate is much easier to secure in a drill press.

Centerline for the holes is 5/16 of an inch up from the bottom. The first hole is 3/8” from the left side of bracket. The second bottom hole is 2-3/8” center to center from the first hole, again up 5/16” from the bottom. (test fit)

On the top of the bracket measure 1-1/4” back from the left side and mark it. On the right side, measure up 1-1/4” up from the bottom and mark it. Connect the marks and that is the right angle. Cut it off.

For the left angle, insert your bolt and washer in the bracket hole and draw a line from the upper mark you made previously to the edge of your washer (plus a little if you want). Cut it off.

BEFORE you drill your upper holes you want to mount the bracket in place with the bar mount tabs OUTSIDE the brackets to mark your drilling locations. Use the R-Gaza supplied bolts and spacers and mount the bracket in place.

Looking down from the top, position the R-Gaza bar mount tab so it will clear the rear bolt spacer when you move it to the back of the bracket during final installation. Take a pencil and mark your bracket using the inside of the mounting tab holes from the R-Gaza bars. The R-Gaza mounting tab holes are elongated to allow for adjustment.

Pull your bracket off, drill the upper holes for re-attaching the R-Gaza bars in the middle of the slotted adjustment markings.

Test fit and identify any welds or obstructions that would need to be clearanced before you paint the bracket. Remember that the R-Gaza bar mount will go BEHIND the bracket in the final installation. A little grind and wire brush to round the edges and you can paint.

Mounting is easier if you loosely install the bracket on the R-Gaza mounting tabs first. The bracket goes IN FRONT of the R-Gaza mounting tabs. Then attach the long bolts with some Loctite and the spacer. Once both lower bolts are tight you can Loctite and tighten the upper bolts.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20201003_070907.jpg (183.3 KB, 9 views)
2GENAE likes this.

"The only barrier to knowledge is the belief that you have it."
2008 Yamaha FJR1300AE
2002 Honda ST1100
...fully farkled.

Last edited by Dale I; 10-05-2020 at 06:13 PM.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-03-2020, 04:24 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

This is a great solution! Thanks for sharing and including the reference drawing.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk
2GENAE and Dale I like this.

'15 Suzuki S40 - wife's bike
'12 FJR1300a (unnamed)
'09 Vulcan 500 (Artoo) - traded in for FJR, due to lack of use
'86 Rebel 250 (LilBlu)
'97 ST ABS (BigRed)
'78 CB750K - my 1st "big bike", got sold to oldest brother, who eventually sold it youngest brother, then out of family.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-03-2020, 05:37 PM
Farkle Trainee

PM sent I need a pair of these. Thanks for the info.

1986 FJ 1200
2008 FJR 1300AE
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-04-2020, 08:44 PM
Farkle Trainee

Well...sh1t - I completely forgot to post the dimensions of the bracket I had made up last year. I used it on one trip and haven't used it since. I ride 99% of the time without the side bags and find that the rear R-Gaza guards (AKA, elephant ears) look like crap without the bags on. That being said, no excuse for not following up on that post. Thanks Dale for posting the pics of your bracket. I took some measurements this evening and posted a pic to the gallery - see below. Dale's bracket looks more much more elegant than my prototype.

I went for a 5-day ride to Quebec with my wife two weeks ago and although the side bags were on, I didn't bother to mount the R-Gaza rear guards. I've been riding two up with the bike fully loaded many, many times for close to 30 years and have never dropped the bike or even come close to dropping it. Will I regret not installing the guards someday? Likely.

Zwartie
2GENAE likes this.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-19-2020, 11:32 AM
Farkle Trainee

Dale 1 Thank you for the brackets you made me, they look GREAT. I cleaned them with paint thinner, primed and painted semi gloss black.

Thanks again for doing this for me, my darn arthritis in my hands limits my DIY projects. If I had made them my FJR would be setting for a week.

1986 FJ 1200
2008 FJR 1300AE

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page