Need a top case - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-17-2020, 05:31 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Need a top case

New to the forum and this is my 1st post. I知 considering a top case for my 2015 FJR. I知 planning a multi week trip (post Covid) and I could use the storage space. I値l be mixing camping and hotels for the overnights. I have a dry bag, but the camping gear takes up most of that space. Plus there痴 not much security when you stop if your dry bag is just strapped to the bike. I致e looked at both Givi and Shad. A 40段sh liter size should be sufficient. Shad is a bit more economical. Especially when you consider the mounting rack, adapter, etc that are needed. Any pros or cons on either that anyone has come across? Hopefully there will still be some trees left after all the crazy fires going on out west.
BlueRider likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-17-2020, 07:02 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

In the old days I had 46 litre and it was fine. I wouldn't go smaller. Last bike had a 55 litre, holds a lot of bulky stuff, but it might be a bit big. These days, I'd look hard at the Shad convertible..... best of both worlds.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-17-2020, 08:18 PM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
The only noticeable difference between a SHAD and Givi is that you can leave the SHAD unlocked. You can open and shut it without using a key. Or you can lock it each time and require the key to open. The Givi always requires the key to open. Givi makes the Yamaha OEM topcase. SHAD is the manufacturer for BMW's cases.

2016 Yamaha FRJ1300ES getting set up!
2005 Yamaha FJR1300AT soon for sale
1981 Kawasaki KZ1100 - Gone
1974 Kawasaki Z1 - Gone

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-18-2020, 10:20 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Givi Monokey has been serving me well since about 2004.
maximrebel and 2GENAE like this.

Ridden wet. Put up hard.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-18-2020, 10:46 AM
Farkle Trainee

I have the Givi V56NNT and Givi rack, which is perfect for all that light stuff like a jacket liner, bike cover, sleeping bag, tent, walking shoes, etc. I keep my top case weight to 16 pounds. Can't even see it in my mirrors.

2016 Yamaha FJR1300 (Cobalt Blue)
1973 Honda CL350 (Red)
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-18-2020, 11:02 AM
Farkle Trainee

I've used a number of Givi cases and just like my V46 the best out of all of them. It's the largest case I've tested that doesn't really cause interfere with wind flow. I had the Maxia 55 and it was great for the space, but I just didn't like the view back from my mirrors (blocked too much) and I could definitely tell it was affecting the way the air flowed and I didn't like that. I also had the E52 and I liked that one a lot, but I sold it with my '13 FJR.

The V46 is still a good 46L of space and it doesn't interfere with my view back in the mirrors and I don't feel any difference in the air flow. I also had/have a small Shad, but I found that I really liked the quality better from Givi and that SR357 rack is the answer for my rear subframe support.

For grins and giggles, I think I'm going to check out the Givi WL901 Weightless trunk, though it's not really lockable. I'm looking to use that as a day trip trunk and save a little space and weight for those days. But it doesn't have the weather protection like a normal trunk. If I were to look at Shad again, I would look at the SH58X model, but that's not cheap and I still don't like the subframe support on that compared to the SR357.

Maybe this helps, maybe it doesn't, but it's my 2 cents worth - LOL.
bounce likes this.

2008 FJR1300 (current)
2013 FJR1300 (sold)
2007 Goldwing (sold)
2005 FJR1300 (traded in)
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-18-2020, 11:06 AM
Farkle Trainee

A Shad 48 liter has been sufficient for my long distance touring needs. I went with Shad because I like that you don’t need the key to open it if left unlocked. I also like it because the Shad mount is flat so you can use it as a platform for bungee netting things on it when not using the case - the Givi mount is an oddly shaped contraption.
Joey likes this.

2016 ES
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-18-2020, 07:32 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by maximrebel View Post
The V46 is still a good 46L of space and it doesn't interfere with my view back in the mirrors and I don't feel any difference in the air flow. I also had/have a small Shad, but I found that I really liked the quality better from Givi and that SR357 rack is the answer for my rear subframe support.

For grins and giggles, I think I'm going to check out the Givi WL901 Weightless trunk, though it's not really lockable. I'm looking to use that as a day trip trunk and save a little space and weight for those days. But it doesn't have the weather protection like a normal trunk. If I were to look at Shad again, I would look at the SH58X model, but that's not cheap and I still don't like the subframe support on that compared to the SR357...
This. Or plan to spend money on a Stiffy Kit from Garauld.
bounce likes this.

2007 FJR 1300AE ("Cerulean Silver") - 2003 V-Strom ("Pearl Orpiment Yellow")
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-18-2020, 09:27 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatek6 View Post
Wouldn't work with my PDM60 setup plus I just like Givi trunks more anyway. Better mount, doesn't shake as much, quality is just a 'shad' better...see what I did there?
bounce, RaYzerman and Versatek6 like this.

2008 FJR1300 (current)
2013 FJR1300 (sold)
2007 Goldwing (sold)
2005 FJR1300 (traded in)
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-19-2020, 02:15 PM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatek6 View Post
When I talked with people at both Shad and Givi, they said that with their racks a trunk on an FJR Gen2/3 should be good for about 30 pounds, and that the lower limit was set by lawyers rather than engineers.

2016 Yamaha FRJ1300ES getting set up!
2005 Yamaha FJR1300AT soon for sale
1981 Kawasaki KZ1100 - Gone
1974 Kawasaki Z1 - Gone

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page