Need a top case - Page 2 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 20Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-19-2020, 03:31 PM
Senior Member
Farkle Trainee
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: El Dorado Hills, CA, USA
Posts: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludwig61 View Post
When I talked with people at both Shad and Givi, they said that with their racks a trunk on an FJR Gen2/3 should be good for about 30 pounds, and that the lower limit was set by lawyers rather than engineers.
I play it conservative and try not to exceed 16 pounds in my Givi top case with Givi rack. Mostly use the top case for bulky fluffy stuff. Having a lot of weight up high and to the rear is not good anyway. Put the weight on the seat or low in the paniers.
bounce likes this.

2016 Yamaha FJR1300 (Cobalt Blue)
1973 Honda CL350 (Red)
rspyder is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-19-2020, 04:50 PM
Senior Member
Farkle Trainee
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 162
I've got the Shad SH50 and it has been excellent so far (3 years). Empty the thing weighs in around 18lbs so it is fairly stout. The convertible Ray mentioned wasn't out when I bought mine or I very likely would have gone that route. As others have mentioned, it is best not to overload these. I bought some kydex and made a divider for mine so I could keep my beverages/snacks and camera gear on one side and keep the other area clear for helmet storage. The only annoying thing about it is the lid "stays". They're stiff plastic and the lid doesn't like to stay in the open position easily. I'm sure I could remedy that just haven't been motivated to do so. Oh, and if you forget to lock it, chances are things will be fine as it's not just super obvious how to get into it easily if your not familiar with it.

-Brent

2016 FJR1300A
BigC is offline  
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-20-2020, 12:16 AM
Senior Member
High-G FJR Junkie!
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Rolling Prairie, Ind
Posts: 3,018
Quote:
Originally Posted by rspyder View Post
I play it conservative and try not to exceed 16 pounds in my Givi top case with Givi rack. Mostly use the top case for bulky fluffy stuff. Having a lot of weight up high and to the rear is not good anyway. Put the weight on the seat or low in the paniers.
Two things, Yamaha will tell you a maximum of 10lbs over the weight of the box period. Although their heavy aluminum rack has 11lbs max cast into it. You really want to keep it light as you can up top as a new subframe is/was just under $700 and about a week of labor to change everything over.

Secondly and I cannot stress this enough,,,, a stiffy WILL NOT prevent a broken subframe, it will keep all the broken piece’s together but only the Yamaha heavy aluminum rack, the givi sr357 or Shad tube rack will help support the subframe but if you over load things all bets are off as the subframe is really poor. My .02
Bill Lumberg likes this.

Steve P
Red 2014A, the fastest color !
Ride more,, worry less !
passx is offline  
 
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-20-2020, 10:42 AM
Senior Member
High-G FJR Junkie!
 
bounce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 3,634
Aside from load on the rear subframe, any weight high and back can unload your front wheel. Keep light stuff in the trunk and keep the weight low when it's high and behind the read axle.
passx likes this.

Ridden wet. Put up hard.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by bounce; 09-21-2020 at 12:03 PM.
bounce is offline  
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-20-2020, 06:41 PM
Junior Member
Training wheels fitted!
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by passx View Post
Two things, Yamaha will tell you a maximum of 10lbs over the weight of the box period. Although their heavy aluminum rack has 11lbs max cast into it. You really want to keep it light as you can up top as a new subframe is/was just under $700 and about a week of labor to change everything over.

Secondly and I cannot stress this enough,,,, a stiffy WILL NOT prevent a broken subframe, it will keep all the broken piece’s together but only the Yamaha heavy aluminum rack, the givi sr357 or Shad tube rack will help support the subframe but if you over load things all bets are off as the subframe is really poor. My .02

Du you for certain know that the stiffy won´t work for Gen II or is that just for Gen I that you have?
The stiffy is very different between Gen I and Gen II.
BOAN is offline  
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-20-2020, 07:33 PM
Senior Member
Farkle Trainee
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Posts: 234
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOAN View Post
Du you for certain know that the stiffy won´t work for Gen II or is that just for Gen I that you have?
The stiffy is very different between Gen I and Gen II.
Stiffys hold the subframe together in case the subframe breaks. That is what Gary says about them - all generations (Gen II and III stiffys are the same). They may provide some improvement to what the rear subframe supports, particularly for Gen I. That is a secondary function, not the primary.
bounce and Bill Lumberg like this.

2016 Yamaha FRJ1300ES getting set up!
2005 Yamaha FJR1300AT soon for sale
1981 Kawasaki KZ1100 - Gone
1974 Kawasaki Z1 - Gone
Ludwig61 is offline  
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-20-2020, 11:57 PM
Member
Trainee Sport Tourer
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Windsor ON
Posts: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigC View Post
I've got the Shad SH50 and it has been excellent so far (3 years). Empty the thing weighs in around 18lbs so it is fairly stout. The convertible Ray mentioned wasn't out when I bought mine or I very likely would have gone that route. As others have mentioned, it is best not to overload these. I bought some kydex and made a divider for mine so I could keep my beverages/snacks and camera gear on one side and keep the other area clear for helmet storage. The only annoying thing about it is the lid "stays". They're stiff plastic and the lid doesn't like to stay in the open position easily. I'm sure I could remedy that just haven't been motivated to do so. Oh, and if you forget to lock it, chances are things will be fine as it's not just super obvious how to get into it easily if your not familiar with it.
I've had my SH50 for 3.5 years, it has worked well for us. Part of the reason for going with the Shad was the large backrest for the wife. Also, really handy not to have to unlock it all the time. Have not had an issue with the lid. You can fit 2 full face helmets in it, which is another nice feature. Dealer installed it, over top of Garauld's stiffy kit. Pretty easy install, I think they said just the screws on the mounting plate were a pita.

2015 FJR1300A
2003 Hayabusa
Joey is offline  
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-21-2020, 11:00 AM
Senior Member
High-G FJR Junkie!
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Rolling Prairie, Ind
Posts: 3,018
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOAN View Post
Du you for certain know that the stiffy won´t work for Gen II or is that just for Gen I that you have?
The stiffy is very different between Gen I and Gen II.
Boan, my 2014 is a gen 3 and I will add that it’s not a matter of the stiffy fitting if you buy the one for the correct year and I feel it is a worthwhile addition BUT will not prevent a broken subframe, at least it didn’t on my 2014 but it did keep the broken piece’s from littering the highway behind me.

I got to study the load characteristics up close & personal when my subframe broke & I replaced it. You need a piece that keeps the rear tab from flexing to prevent the subframe from breaking. The Yamaha heavy aluminum rack, the givi sr357 or Shad tube rack’s do that basically. The Givi only mounts using the front 2 bolts so it doesn’t flex the tab, the Yamaha rack use’s all 3 but is heavy enough to reduce/eliminate flex, the Shad is basically a copy of the givi but I’m not sure of how it mounts up.

The stiffy does very little if anything to prevent that flex of the tab which transfers through the struts from the tab into the lower section of the subframe causing cracks usually around the bolt holes that the fender attaches through. But frankly, your bike, your money, do what makes you sleep better.
bounce and BOAN like this.

Steve P
Red 2014A, the fastest color !
Ride more,, worry less !
passx is offline  
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-21-2020, 08:17 PM
Senior Member
Farkle Trainee
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Posts: 234
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by passx View Post
The Givi only mounts using the front 2 bolts so it doesn’t flex the tab, the Yamaha rack use’s all 3 but is heavy enough to reduce/eliminate flex, the Shad is basically a copy of the givi but I’m not sure of how it mounts up.
The SHAD mounts using the two bolts under the passenger seat and the front two of the three under the factory rack. Leaves an opening at that third hole. I'll have to find a grommet. Or just put some tape over the hole...
passx likes this.

2016 Yamaha FRJ1300ES getting set up!
2005 Yamaha FJR1300AT soon for sale
1981 Kawasaki KZ1100 - Gone
1974 Kawasaki Z1 - Gone
Ludwig61 is offline  
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-22-2020, 09:54 AM
Senior Member
High-G FJR Junkie!
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Rolling Prairie, Ind
Posts: 3,018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludwig61 View Post
The SHAD mounts using the two bolts under the passenger seat and the front two of the three under the factory rack. Leaves an opening at that third hole. I'll have to find a grommet. Or just put some tape over the hole...
So the Shad rack is a copy of the Givi SR357, which is good because it does not flex/stress the frame tab, great, another option.

Steve P
Red 2014A, the fastest color !
Ride more,, worry less !
passx is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome