Engine guard mounted wind deflectors - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By lue42

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-12-2020, 07:20 PM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Engine guard mounted wind deflectors

My wife has been out of town and I haven't had an opportunity to ride as I am watching the kids so I decided to try a little project.

During some of the very hot days my feet have been getting hot. So I decided to try to build adjustable wind deflectors to point air towards my feet on the hot days and potentially away from my feet/legs on the cold/wet days. I have no idea if this will work but it was fun to make.

I used these mounts:

The material is an old keyboard tray I had in the basement. It is a really hard plastic that almost sounds like ceramic when tapped - probably some kind of composite. I put the mounts in place and used a piece of cardboard to figure out the best shape to be able to adjust in and out from the engine guards. After a bunch of cutting, remarking, and sanding a few times it fits well and angles completely in and out.

So, here it is... I will have to spend some time on the bike and some time adjusting them to see if there is any difference

John d and justacrossthehill like this.

Current bike: 2015 FJR1300A
Previous bike: 2014 NC750x
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-14-2020, 11:59 PM
Training wheels fitted!

Any results to report?

My Gen3 keeps my feet hot on warm days...

Anyone else experiencing this condition?
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-15-2020, 08:22 AM
Farkle Trainee

Interesting. I've never had issues with hot or cold feet while riding. I wear Alpinestars Web Gore-Tex boots and Joe Rocket Alter Ego riding pants whenever I ride, whether hot (mid 30's C) or cold (5C). Back in the early 90's when I rode a V45 Sabre I remember how it would cook my legs in the summer unless I removed the fairing lowers. But back then I used to ride in shorts and running shoes (the fool that I was) in the summer. I believe proper boots and riding pants do a good job of insulating from engine heat in the summer and the cold ambient air in the spring and fall.

Zwartie

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-15-2020, 02:16 PM
Farkle Trainee

Lue42 good idea with the winglets,... I installed the hwy pegs instead, so whenever I feel hot I just put my feet out on the pegs, and as added bonus get enough breeze up my pants to cool down the jewells ;-D

https://www.fjrowners.com/#/topics/145193

"If FJR and VStrom 650XT don't make you Grin from ear-to-ear,... there is something wrong with your Face"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2017 FJR/ES
2018 VStrom 650XT
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-17-2020, 11:14 AM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

I got out riding on some of the hottest weather we've had and the verdict is in - there is no noticeable difference. I don't think the issue in that area comes down to lack of airflow.

I took em off.

I am planning on getting some T-Rex highway pegs. Shipping is cost prohibitive - I am near enough to the border to ship them to a shipping depot and take a ride over to install them. Speaking of which - didn't they used to be $99? ... I just noticed they are $119 now. Still the best cheapest option for TRex size bars, but... ****.

Current bike: 2015 FJR1300A
Previous bike: 2014 NC750x

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page