Seat replacement recomendations - Page 3 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 55Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 76 (permalink) Old 08-01-2020, 06:18 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunia720 View Post
My bike, a 03, came with a corbin and stock seat. Corbin was on her when I drove it home. For me if I had to choose between corbin and stock it would be stock all day. CORBIN SUCKS, imho!! Less comfortable for me than stock and too wide for my skinny arse!! It actually took me 2 days of riding before I put the stock seat on just for the heck of it and it felt like a different bike to me, in a good way. Plus the Corbin wouldn't catch the lock easily and if it did the key didn't work to remove it. I would literally have to pry something under the seat while messing with the key to get it to pop. **** some Corbin!! Granted I do not know the model of the corbin nor the stock seat.

Point is, ride your own ride. Suggestions are great but for something like this a simple google, bing, yahoo, msn or even duckduckgo would give you plenty of options~see the correlation?

Anyways, welcome to the Forum. I am new to the FJR as well. Tomorrow will be my 1 week anniversary w/ her. I apologize if I am being a a-hole but I spent the day getting tires off, all fluids changed and swapping the original CCT. Ran out of daylight and still have to button up the CCT of which they sent me the wrong gasket!!! Original is in decent shape tho. I'm rambling.......welcome again. Lots of info here and friendly people that are willing to share their knowledge. Just please just don't ask what gas stations everyone prefers, Shell or BP!!!!
You're a really light guy, right? IIRC you said like 150 lbs? You're exactly the type the stock seat was designed for and may well find it suitable. For guys like you and me (5'10", 185) the Yamaha Comfort Seat is also a good choice. It's shaped slightly different from the stock but a little different plus it's like 3/4" of pillow top foam with the stock firmer foam underneath.

I liked the stock seat. I rode a lot of miles on it. The Comfort Seat is even better tho I'm considering having the fwd lean cut down just a little.
Bill Lumberg, passx and nunia720 like this.

Russ
2007A

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 76 (permalink) Old 08-01-2020, 07:40 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Russ, it’s definitely all about the arse, everyone’s got one but they’re all different. My comfort seat has the gel insert and if it had been slightly larger (the insert) I would probably still be riding on it. After some time the seat settles a bit and I can feel the edges of the insert (right on the butt bones) but I can do about 3-400 on it before it becomes really uncomfortable. The only real negative I have for the touring/comfort seat is that the gel insert absorbs & holds heat which is a bit uncomfortable for the personals. But it is a good looking seat that’s pretty good for me, but the Laam is perfect for me.

It’s interesting that you seat has a forward lean to it, mine feels more rearward, I do like the looks though but FOR ME my Laam is just head & shoulders more comfy, for me. It’s interesting that you kinda sound like you’re built similar to my son-in-law whose 6’7” and 152lbs w/no butt. I think he could ride on anything and be comfy, but he doesn’t ride. Myself I’m 5’10” @ 230lbs with a smallish butt which puts more load on a smaller area to be polite. It’s all about the arse and they’re all different, there’s just no magic answer.

Steve P
Red 2014A, the fastest color !
Ride more,, worry less !

Last edited by passx; 08-01-2020 at 07:47 AM.
post #23 of 76 (permalink) Old 08-01-2020, 10:14 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Corbin follows the hard leather horse saddle theory. Big problem is the FJR lacks the relatively soft horse under the saddle.
bounce likes this.

2018 F-150 XLT SuperCab 4x4 2.7L
2016 FJR1300A
2016 Beta 430 RS
2016 Subaru Outback
2013 Tesla Model S 85
2009 Husaberg FE450
1983 Porsche 928S

post #24 of 76 (permalink) Old 08-01-2020, 11:22 AM
FJR Top Gun

Garage
OP hasn't been back since his first post. He's a bot.

- Jim,

2014 GenIII RED ES
2002 RED VTX1800c, she is STILL sweet!
post #25 of 76 (permalink) Old 08-01-2020, 01:48 PM
Farkle Trainee

Got a Corbin on the 2015 FJR and wound up using Beadrider's with it to make it bearable. Kinda like it now but almost to low.

Real Name - Bobby
2001 ZRX1200
2008 ZX14
2015 FJR1300A
2015 Vulcan S (Wife) "Now Mine"
post #26 of 76 (permalink) Old 08-02-2020, 06:33 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReRose View Post
Got a Corbin on the 2015 FJR and wound up using Beadrider's with it to make it bearable. Kinda like it now but almost to low.
I'm trying out a Sargent. It's shaped a lot like the Corbin butt (a pun! HA!) has a little more padding and more importantly it uses the factory height adjuster so it can be put in the high position. If you like the shape of the Corbin but don't like anything else about it I recommend the Sargent.
spectreman likes this.

Russ
2007A

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #27 of 76 (permalink) Old 08-02-2020, 06:34 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FjrjrF View Post
OP hasn't been back since his first post. He's a bot.
Yeah but we got a good start on a stickied seat thread! Thanks OP!!
bounce and Redfish like this.

Russ
2007A

post #28 of 76 (permalink) Old 08-03-2020, 10:55 PM
Training wheels fitted!

Another vote for the Russell Day Long. Literally go all day and you won’t even notice your backside. It lives up to its name for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bounce likes this.
post #29 of 76 (permalink) Old 08-04-2020, 01:27 AM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Stock 2003 seat!! plenty comfortable for my light butt!! Ask me in 2 weeks though...

New to me 2003 FJR1300
2003 Ninja 500
post #30 of 76 (permalink) Old 08-05-2020, 11:55 PM
Training wheels fitted!

Garage
After reading what you guys have, I decided to go with a Laam. His prices are very reasonable and more importantly, he's been a pleasure to deal with in our email exchanges. He wasn't phased at all about me living in the jungles of Thailand and offered advice on the best way to proceed. A complete 180 from trying to deal with those tossers at Corbin, who couldn't even be bothered to reply to a single email or Messenger enquiry.
I guess it'll be a while until I can test my new seats, but the riding season doesn't really get going until November over here, so it should arrive in time.

2011 FJR1300
2019 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2003 Honda SL230

Udon Thani, Thailand

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page