Wind Screen Comparison - CalSci vs. Yamaha Touring - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-25-2020, 11:24 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Wind Screen Comparison - CalSci vs. Yamaha Touring

A couple weeks ago I picked up a used California Scientific wind screen for my '06 FJR. It's the Large which is is about the same overall size as the Yamaha Touring Screen which came on the bike when I bought it 2 years ago. The Cal Sci is a little wider near the bottom but the height is the same and it's about the same width at the top. I installed the Cal Sci screen today and went for a little (120 km) ride with my wife this evening. The difference was amazing - no contest. I found the Yamaha Touring screen only ever had two good positions - all the way down or all the way up. Anything in between just created too much turbulence at speed. Not a big fan of having it all the way up because then I'm looking through the screen and I prefer to look over it when riding. I found that I was able to ride at 100 km/h (or higher) with the Cal Sci screen at the lowest position and wind noise was not bad at all - raise it a couple inches and there is no wind noise at all. I am thoroughly impressed with the Cal Sci screen - I was hoping it would be better than the Yamaha Touring screen but did not expect it to be that good!

Zwartie
BOAN and gmeltzer like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-26-2020, 07:11 AM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Positive steps forward with mods are good. Nice report.
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-26-2020, 03:06 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattemike View Post
Positive steps forward with mods are good. Nice report.
Thanks. Just got back from a 300 km ride today including about 45 minutes of expressway riding. No contest - California Scientific is the clear winner.

Zwartie

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-27-2020, 11:37 AM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by zwartie View Post
Thanks. Just got back from a 300 km ride today including about 45 minutes of expressway riding. No contest - California Scientific is the clear winner.

Zwartie
Interesting. I also have the two screens you mention, but ride with the Yamaha screen most of the time. I get a lot of extra mechanical noise from the CalSci (when passing bumps etc.) - have you noticed anything like that. Just seems like the fit isn't that great in my case. Also, can you lower the screen all the way down? Mine actually hits the fairing, so have to be careful when I lower it. I am thinking of re-shaping the lower end to avoid this problem, but have not yet done anything about it.

2016 ES
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-27-2020, 02:06 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mortenk View Post

Interesting. I also have the two screens you mention, but ride with the Yamaha screen most of the time. I get a lot of extra mechanical noise from the CalSci (when passing bumps etc.) - have you noticed anything like that. Just seems like the fit isn't that great in my case. Also, can you lower the screen all the way down? Mine actually hits the fairing, so have to be careful when I lower it. I am thinking of re-shaping the lower end to avoid this problem, but have not yet done anything about it.
On this topic: I purchased a Yamaha Touring screen and am not really impressed with it...mostly because it's very 'floppy' and puts a lot of torque on those plastic screws I'm sure...I also find there's really no noticeable difference in wind protection or wind noise. For now I'm back on the stock screen because of the summer heat...maybe I'll think differently once I get into the Fall riding, but I dont see any improvement coming in the floppyness of the touring screen.
gmeltzer likes this.

2008 FJR, 2012 Versys 650
HD Ultra Classic
BMW K1200RS
HD DynaGlide
HD Sportster
Honda CB750K
Yamaha 650
Honda CB450
Honda 175
etc
etc
Vespa 50cc
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-27-2020, 04:11 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice_station_zebra View Post
On this topic: I purchased a Yamaha Touring screen and am not really impressed with it...mostly because it's very 'floppy' and puts a lot of torque on those plastic screws I'm sure...I also find there's really no noticeable difference in wind protection or wind noise. For now I'm back on the stock screen because of the summer heat...maybe I'll think differently once I get into the Fall riding, but I dont see any improvement coming in the floppyness of the touring screen.
Have you looked into maybe tilting it back a little? Ray posts about that often.

Russ
2007A

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-27-2020, 04:31 PM
Training wheels fitted!

Garage
I've used the CalSci "FJR Medium" for nearly two years now and have been satisfied with it. See me previous review here: https://www.fjrowners.com/forums/1206891-post16.html

I first tried the CalSci FJR Large windscreen - aka the "Barn Door" - and found it didn't provide adequate cooling in the low position. However, more to mortenk's point:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mortenk View Post

Also, can you lower the screen all the way down? Mine actually hits the fairing, so have to be careful when I lower it. I am thinking of re-shaping the lower end to avoid this problem, but have not yet done anything about it.
I also found that the large windscreen would contact the fairing in the lowered position. After exchanging for the Medium size, there was sufficient clearance.

Jim

Motorcycle Papa, '18 FJR1300A, '05 WR450F, '97 KTM 620RXC/e

"There's never enough horsepower ... Just not enough traction." - Carroll Shelby

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-27-2020, 05:14 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

You can either shim the whole thing up or tilt it back to get air underneath it. Calsci was OK for me but I'm a big fan of deflectors now.
Did you find the Calsci had nice sharp unfinished edges where you can easily cut yourself? They don't finish their edges (cheaper). Get out your sandpaper..... it was also a poor idea IMHO to have it hit the fairing and scrape paint off (sand and shim it). No more Calsci's for me.

Gen2 had floppy windshield mechanisms at certain positions.... not a lot you can do about it.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-27-2020, 07:46 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Neither of my Yamaha touring screens have been at all floppy (the 20309 was a different story), nor have they put any excessive torque on my windshield screws, at any speed. The difference in wind protection between a stock screen and the national cycle Yamaha touring screen is,
for me, notable. This is on a 2014 and a 2018. I’m not discounting your experience, just baffled I’d have thought you were describing a different shield.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ice_station_zebra View Post

No commercials. No dictators.

2018 FJR1300ES Stealth Model

IBA# 69560
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-27-2020, 08:57 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Bill, he's got a Gen2, so will be a bit different experience than Gen3.
ice station zebra, remember I got some Baker Air Wings for you to try which will take care of most of your ventilation and wind blockage issues at mirror level. Work great on a Gen2.
Bill Lumberg likes this.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page