Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums

Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums (https://www.fjrowners.com/forums/)
-   FJR: The Farkling II (https://www.fjrowners.com/forums/10-fjr-farkling-ii/)
-   -   Wind Screen Comparison - CalSci vs. Yamaha Touring (https://www.fjrowners.com/forums/10-fjr-farkling-ii/151373-wind-screen-comparison-calsci-vs-yamaha-touring.html)

zwartie 07-25-2020 11:24 PM

Wind Screen Comparison - CalSci vs. Yamaha Touring

A couple weeks ago I picked up a used California Scientific wind screen for my '06 FJR. It's the Large which is is about the same overall size as the Yamaha Touring Screen which came on the bike when I bought it 2 years ago. The Cal Sci is a little wider near the bottom but the height is the same and it's about the same width at the top. I installed the Cal Sci screen today and went for a little (120 km) ride with my wife this evening. The difference was amazing - no contest. I found the Yamaha Touring screen only ever had two good positions - all the way down or all the way up. Anything in between just created too much turbulence at speed. Not a big fan of having it all the way up because then I'm looking through the screen and I prefer to look over it when riding. I found that I was able to ride at 100 km/h (or higher) with the Cal Sci screen at the lowest position and wind noise was not bad at all - raise it a couple inches and there is no wind noise at all. I am thoroughly impressed with the Cal Sci screen - I was hoping it would be better than the Yamaha Touring screen but did not expect it to be that good!

Zwartie

mattemike 07-26-2020 07:11 AM

Positive steps forward with mods are good. Nice report.

zwartie 07-26-2020 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mattemike (Post 1267467)
Positive steps forward with mods are good. Nice report.

Thanks. Just got back from a 300 km ride today including about 45 minutes of expressway riding. No contest - California Scientific is the clear winner.

Zwartie

mortenk 07-27-2020 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zwartie (Post 1267537)
Thanks. Just got back from a 300 km ride today including about 45 minutes of expressway riding. No contest - California Scientific is the clear winner.

Zwartie

Interesting. I also have the two screens you mention, but ride with the Yamaha screen most of the time. I get a lot of extra mechanical noise from the CalSci (when passing bumps etc.) - have you noticed anything like that. Just seems like the fit isn't that great in my case. Also, can you lower the screen all the way down? Mine actually hits the fairing, so have to be careful when I lower it. I am thinking of re-shaping the lower end to avoid this problem, but have not yet done anything about it.

ice_station_zebra 07-27-2020 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mortenk (Post 1267631)

Interesting. I also have the two screens you mention, but ride with the Yamaha screen most of the time. I get a lot of extra mechanical noise from the CalSci (when passing bumps etc.) - have you noticed anything like that. Just seems like the fit isn't that great in my case. Also, can you lower the screen all the way down? Mine actually hits the fairing, so have to be careful when I lower it. I am thinking of re-shaping the lower end to avoid this problem, but have not yet done anything about it.

On this topic: I purchased a Yamaha Touring screen and am not really impressed with it...mostly because it's very 'floppy' and puts a lot of torque on those plastic screws I'm sure...I also find there's really no noticeable difference in wind protection or wind noise. For now I'm back on the stock screen because of the summer heat...maybe I'll think differently once I get into the Fall riding, but I dont see any improvement coming in the floppyness of the touring screen.

rbentnail 07-27-2020 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ice_station_zebra (Post 1267643)
On this topic: I purchased a Yamaha Touring screen and am not really impressed with it...mostly because it's very 'floppy' and puts a lot of torque on those plastic screws I'm sure...I also find there's really no noticeable difference in wind protection or wind noise. For now I'm back on the stock screen because of the summer heat...maybe I'll think differently once I get into the Fall riding, but I dont see any improvement coming in the floppyness of the touring screen.

Have you looked into maybe tilting it back a little? Ray posts about that often.

Bugs 07-27-2020 04:31 PM

I've used the CalSci "FJR Medium" for nearly two years now and have been satisfied with it. See me previous review here: https://www.fjrowners.com/forums/1206891-post16.html

I first tried the CalSci FJR Large windscreen - aka the "Barn Door" - and found it didn't provide adequate cooling in the low position. However, more to mortenk's point:

Quote:

Originally Posted by mortenk (Post 1267631)

Also, can you lower the screen all the way down? Mine actually hits the fairing, so have to be careful when I lower it. I am thinking of re-shaping the lower end to avoid this problem, but have not yet done anything about it.

I also found that the large windscreen would contact the fairing in the lowered position. After exchanging for the Medium size, there was sufficient clearance.

Jim

RaYzerman 07-27-2020 05:14 PM

You can either shim the whole thing up or tilt it back to get air underneath it. Calsci was OK for me but I'm a big fan of deflectors now.
Did you find the Calsci had nice sharp unfinished edges where you can easily cut yourself? They don't finish their edges (cheaper). Get out your sandpaper..... it was also a poor idea IMHO to have it hit the fairing and scrape paint off (sand and shim it). No more Calsci's for me.

Gen2 had floppy windshield mechanisms at certain positions.... not a lot you can do about it.

Bill Lumberg 07-27-2020 07:46 PM

Neither of my Yamaha touring screens have been at all floppy (the 20309 was a different story), nor have they put any excessive torque on my windshield screws, at any speed. The difference in wind protection between a stock screen and the national cycle Yamaha touring screen is,
for me, notable. This is on a 2014 and a 2018. I’m not discounting your experience, just baffled I’d have thought you were describing a different shield. :)
Quote:

Originally Posted by ice_station_zebra (Post 1267643)

RaYzerman 07-27-2020 08:57 PM

Bill, he's got a Gen2, so will be a bit different experience than Gen3.
ice station zebra, remember I got some Baker Air Wings for you to try which will take care of most of your ventilation and wind blockage issues at mirror level. Work great on a Gen2.