Wind Screen Comparison - CalSci vs. Yamaha Touring - Page 3 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-29-2020, 07:55 AM
Farkle Trainee

Then, just to toss a kink in, I went from a (floppy) Touring Screen on my Gen 2 to a large Rifle.
No comparison- the Rifle is so much quieter, smoother, even better looking, that I just tossed the TS.
The Rifle comes with a pair of "angle optimizers", nicely made wedges that tilt the screen rearward some few degrees. This does the tilt mod mentioned above.
And the flopping was cut at least two-thirds.

Bill

2009 FJR1300
2000 ZRX1100
2020 Ninja 400 in the hands of the Missus
2004 Suzuki SV650S, also Hers
In the avatar: 1966 Velocette Venom Thruxton and 1967 BSA Royal Star.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-29-2020, 07:59 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Like Bill, I really have no complaints with the Yammy Touring Screen which for me is about perfect. A couple of years ago I added washers at the bottom mounting points to tilt the screen back a little per Ray’s suggestion and it did seem to help smooth the airflow.

On my last trip to visit my son which is 1000mi door to door I ran the screen in the full down the entire trip (it was warm) and it gave me a smooth quiet airflow. There is several positions when raising it that are also quiet but not all, some positions are very noisey with a lot of buffeting but a simple touch of the button can find a quiet spot.

Now I should add that I’m not a big fan of National Cycle who makes the touring screen for Yamaha as their customer service is really pretty poor at best but that was over one of the “PlexiFairings” on an old Goldwing, to say that their customer service sucks would be a big understatement. But I do like my “touring” screen. my .02

I have considered experimenting with a few different screens including the Cal-Sci medium screen but so many here have had issues and with my current problems I’ve decided to just stick with my touring piece since I haven’t decided if my fjr is going to stay or not.

Steve P
Red 2014A, the fastest color !
Ride more,, worry less !

Last edited by passx; 07-29-2020 at 08:08 AM.
post #23 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-29-2020, 11:31 AM
Trainee Sport Tourer

I can't tilt it back because of my dash shelf and all the stuff I have on it. Thinking now I'll go try one of those wind deflectors Ray likes on my stock shield.
Bill Lumberg likes this.

post #24 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-29-2020, 11:37 AM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Lumberg View Post
Neither of my Yamaha touring screens have been at all floppy (the 20309 was a different story), nor have they put any excessive torque on my windshield screws, at any speed. The difference in wind protection between a stock screen and the national cycle Yamaha touring screen is,
for me, notable. This is on a 2014 and a 2018. Im not discounting your experience, just baffled Id have thought you were describing a different shield.
I know, no one else seems to have the floppiness to the degree I experience. Last ride out I was on the hwy and I thought the turbulence from trucks was going to tear the thing right off the bike!
Bill Lumberg and passx like this.

2008 FJR, 2012 Versys 650
HD Ultra Classic
BMW K1200RS
HD DynaGlide
HD Sportster
Honda CB750K
Yamaha 650
Honda CB450
Honda 175
etc
etc
Vespa 50cc
post #25 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-29-2020, 02:21 PM
FJR Top Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice_station_zebra View Post
I know, no one else seems to have the floppiness to the degree I experience. Last ride out I was on the hwy and I thought the turbulence from trucks was going to tear the thing right off the bike!
I do remember thinking it flopped around a bit compared to the stocker and definitely compared to the shorty, but I don't remember worrying about it getting ripped off by turbulence, but yea it wiggles a bit on the upper edge. Mine is rarely in that situation though of blasting down the highway with semis around me, mostly it's on country curvy two lane back roads.
Bill Lumberg likes this.

SW Ohio
2018 Yamaha FJR 1300A
2014 Honda CB1100 DLX

It doesn't matter what I ride, where I ride, how fast I ride, or how far I ride... it only matters THAT I RIDE...EVERY DAY. "Ferret"
post #26 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-29-2020, 03:48 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Then shim the whole thing up... try initially an 1/8" thick plastic washer at each screw. As you shim up you might find it biases the windshield arms a tad further inboard (due to design geometry), which will take out some play in the mechanism in that direction. The other thing is don't position the windshield at either extreme up or down and you'll find less play in the mechanism too.
Question, are you firming up going to Sudbury? Twist my arm and I'll bring the Baker Wings for you to try.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
post #27 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-30-2020, 08:04 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I have the original Gen1 shorter screen and the ahamaY touring screen. I use the original one in the summer and the touring screen in the winter. The ahamaY is taller but about the same width. The calsci is wider (and buyable in different heights iirc). My recommendation is keep your OEM screen for summer (cutting it even shorter if desired).

Both have served well on some mighty strong cross (and head) winds in the desert outback of the USA. Once was a 50mph head wind heading to a Deming, NM BBQ. Filled up with gas the next day as I headed out of town. The same place I did the day before. The woman at the register was talking about some nut that was there the day before in all that wind... "That was me." But that was the day, I turned 90 from the path taken the day before. All that hit me the day before was now from L to R and often served as fast-balls-of-air (wind sheer) as I cleared higher terrain to the side of the road. WHAM! The FJR was rock solid underneath me as I felt these side blasts. I never once worried about the ahamaY shield.

Ridden wet. Put up hard.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by bounce; 07-31-2020 at 07:59 AM.
post #28 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-30-2020, 08:50 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Ice, same experience here, some trucks seem to generate the severe turbulence that like you said I was sure would tear the Plastic retaining screws out & send my windshield flying, it can be very bad.

Steve P
Red 2014A, the fastest color !
Ride more,, worry less !
post #29 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-30-2020, 01:06 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I get turbulence behind some vehicles regardless of what screen I’m running. I judge a screen by its’ performance in clean air and crosswinds. After procrastominating too long, I ordered another yamaha touring shield last night.
bounce likes this.

No commercials. No dictators.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2018 FJR1300ES Stealth Model

IBA# 69560

Last edited by Bill Lumberg; 07-31-2020 at 05:10 PM.
post #30 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-30-2020, 11:11 PM
Farkle Trainee

I put the Yamaha touring screen on my 14 and thought it worked great. Cannot imagine wanting anything else or that anything would work better. I did find a broken screw head once but that was after riding in 40-50mph headwinds and crosswinds. Replaced it and never had another one break. Im 57 and like seats windshields are a very personal thing.

The resident KTM owner.

14 FJR (sold)
13 990 SMT
15 1290 Super Adventure T

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page